TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6111621262728293031

Thread: There's an OCULUS RIFT on my FACE :D

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Here's an early take on VR from 1995 which looks like a really bad product all around: lots of light contamination, the stunning 10 fps max it renders in, and only 2 games in its demo reel that support head tracking. Note also the hilarious-in-hindsight claim that VR would be a 6 billion dollar industry by 2000.
    Heeeeey, LGS' Flight Unlimited! Yeah the framerate is pretty choppy, but that might just be in the part that's mirrored to the monitor.
    Last edited by henke; 7th Sep 2017 at 02:38.

Looks like Rockstar will bring our investigative skills to VR:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...spin-off-to-vr

Supposedly it's a Vive exclusive, but I'm curious to see how exclusive these things will really be.
    Last edited by Thirith; 7th Sep 2017 at 13:38.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ooooh, an excuse to link to the latest Game Maker's Toolkit video!

LA Noire was at least pretty good at the "searching for evidence" portion of crime investigation, and I think that part might translate very well to VR. Not expecting big things from the other systems though.

Thing What Kicks
    Thumper's on sale on the Rift store at the mo, £7.99 for some quality, rythm zone gameplay. I was going to go to bed when I noticed this, and it's now an hour and a half later :E

Played some more Lone Echo, and I can already say that this game'll make it difficult for me to return to Adr1ft to finish that one. Getting around just makes so much sense the way it's done in this game; from what I remember of my early forays into Adr1ft, that game didn't make a complete mess of things, but it felt considerably more gamey and I doubt it'll be come second nature the way moving around in Lone Echo does.

Having said that, there are definitely bits in the game that could've used some more work, and scenes that get annoying quickly if you fail repeatedly. Right now I'm in a place where I have to make my way past moving beams of energy, and if one of them touches me I restart at the spawn point. For one thing, it's a total video game cliché, for another it's just not as enjoyable as other parts of the game. Even if you have more situational awareness in VR and are better able to gage distances, it's still not really fun, and having to make your way down a long corridor of this isn't what I want to be doing in Lone Echo.

What I like, though, is the story and themes and the interaction with the main human character. They could've done a somewhat better job of having her look you in the eyes, but I still feel like I'm sharing a space with a person; she's written and performed very well and she moves around me in believable ways.

Thing What Kicks
    Heh, I too picked it up again today, and from the sounds of it, we were doing the same bit (the processing line, right?).
    I tells ya, the first time going outside, I got fierce vertigo when I looked down. But over time, I was able to move around relatively comfortably, although panic would hit in if I missed a grab and started sailing off into the black (even the the EVA suit could get me back with no problems).
    It's an incredible experiance, and a meaty game too. I think this is going to take me some time to complete. It's also probably the most immersive experience I've had in VR yet, with only my body and gravity breaking the illusion (it's weird feeling the weight of your body when your brain thinks it shouldn't be).

I don't think I'll be finding all those damn cube sats though. Too hard to spot amongst all the stuff and the infinite black.

Oh, and a nod of appreciation to the developers for setting the game in orbit around Saturn; the rings act as an excellent way to orient yourself and help remove some of the panic.

Yup, I'm at the processing line. After dying three times, I decided that that was enough Echo Line for me for the moment. Here's hoping that next time I'll just breeze through it.

And yeah, I'll only grab those cubes that I spot anyway. I won't go actively looking for them. At least they have that handy blinking light.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ah yeah, I did die a few times on the processing line too, especially to the laser that's moving at somewhat random patterns towards the end.

Didn't get nearly all cube sats. Will put more effort into hunting them down when I do a replay.

Quick P.S.: The third sensor has definitely improved things; before I would say that I basically had 270° of reliable tracking and 90° of shaky but acceptable tracking (at the back), which means that everything was reasonably playable - but now I no longer get reminded of my orientation in real space whenever I turn around. I still mostly use the front 180°, but psychologically it makes a surprising difference - I forget the orientation of my play space very quickly.

On a different note, I took the Derail Valley demo out for a test ride (thanks to Jeshibu for mentioning it!). I didn't play it for more than 15-20 minutes, it's not amazing technically and it should be boring by all rights, but I really enjoyed it - less for the gameplay than for the almost meditative sightseeing aspect. Living in Switzerland and not having a driving licence, I'm a big fan of train rides as it is, and the scenery in Derail Valley is very pleasant. The controls are made for Vive wands, but judging from the demo it plays reasonably well with Touch controllers.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oooh, Derail Valley does look quite nice. Conductor is one of my fave games of this year, so I'm already sold on the concept of VR train rides. Gotta give this demo a spin.

Did I recommend that? I don't recall seeing it ever. Not that that rules it out, mind.

Huh... I was convinced that you'd recommended it, but I can't find any evidence of it being mentioned here. Very weird. Obviously VR is loosening my grip on reality...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ended up spending almost an hour with Derail Valley tonight. Derailed twice and finished 1 job. Never thought I'd like a train sim (they seem a tad too on-rails for my liking) but this thing does a lot of what I like in a sim. Robust physics but not-overly-complex controls, and the keys to success being "planning ahead" and "knowing how to apply a delicate touch to heavy machinery".

Thanks for for finding me a new obsession, Thirith!

For those interested: Google Earth VR now also works with Streetview. I haven't yet tried it, but I'm a big fan of Google Earth VR and am looking forward to trying it out.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Never thought I'd like a train sim (they seem a tad too on-rails for my liking)
    If that was intentional, good job! (Or bad job. Either way, have mercy and don't do it again.)

Level 10,000 achieved
    PUN INTENDED!

*bows*

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    For those interested: Google Earth VR now also works with Streetview. I haven't yet tried it, but I'm a big fan of Google Earth VR and am looking forward to trying it out.
    I just tried it. Basically, when you're close to a street you get a bubble of the streetview on your left hand, and when you hold it up to your face you enter the streetview. Pretty handy, and well-implemented.

Note to self: when assembling robots in zero-G, don't let the individual parts float away. They're difficult to find in the cold, empty vacuum of space.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6111621262728293031