TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In Search of Paradise - 2017 Edition is RELEASED!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Great feedback, thanks!

It actually is possible to get to Paradise, you just have to build up enough speed before hitting the bridge. Will make this part slightly easier.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok, haven't done squat for a week now, but tonight I resumed development, gonna try to put at least an hour per evening on this till I get it done.

Tonight's 1 hour of development:
    -fixed left mirror mesh issue.
    -more polygons on steering wheel.
    -modelled pedals.
    -less chase cam distance.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Tuesday:
    -pedals code/animation
    -changed numbers of gears from 5 to 4.
    -removed accidental second reverse-gear.

Thursday:
    -gearstick animation/code

A whole lotta code and animations just to achieve this.

I have no doubt there's probably a smarter way to do it as well, rather than making individual animations for each gearshift like I did. But hey, it works!
    Last edited by henke; 12th Sep 2017 at 14:09. Reason: goddamn Dropbox making it almost impossible to embedd images these days!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Still working on this, even though the finish line just seems to keep getting further and further away as I keep adding more and more stuff. I've been beefing up the environment recently and I've got ideas for a couple new areas I wanna add.

Also I have an idea for this:

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I like the one bit with the titles, credits and music, but I kinda wish there'd been a bit more music. That's what I associate with long car rides in the US.
    I'm gonna take a leaf out of Euro Truck Simulator 2's book and have the car's radio playing online radio stations! This plugin should make it possible. Also, theoretically I could implement a mixtape that would use mp3 tracks from a folder on the user's harddrive, but I think that's a tad too ambitious at this point, and I gotta draw the line somewhere.

Cool idea! Any way you can have it default to some Americana station?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh yes, I'm thinking you'll be able to flip between a few country/rock stations. If anyone wants to recommend any stations from soma.fm, please do. Boot Liquor is definitely in!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Radio is IN! BA-BOOM!

Still gotta add some radio static effect to play when you change the station and make sure it stops playing when the intro/outro music kicks in too.

Also, decided I gotta add some more functions to the car, so I'm gonna have lights toggelable, and you should also be able to turn the engine off and on. Think it could feel pretty cool to accelerate up to top speed, then turn the engine off and just coast. Plus, it saves on gas!

Level 10,000 achieved

New beta version!

In Search of Paradise VR v0.5 (101MB)
    Oculus version
    SteamVR version

NOTE about SteamVR version:
    It, uh, doesn't work very well. At least on my end, running on an Oculus Rift, it can take over a minute of starring at a blue skybox before the game's visuals show up. Same thing happens when you recenter the view. I would love for some Vive users to try this and see how it works. I'm hoping it's just an issue with Rifts. If any Unity/SteamVR devs out there know how to improve this, let me know. I've worked on it for hours now but I'm not getting anywhere.

Changelog:
    -RADIO STATIONS!
    -improvements to environment. It has a helluva lot more rocks now!
    -pedal and gearstick animations.
    -darker nights.

All feedback appreciated!

I have the Vive!
    Steam is running, Steam VR installed.
    Launch the exe and this is what I get after about 5 minutes of waiting :/

EDIT:

NEVERMIND! I was being silly and forgot to turn off VorpX, which was messing things up.
    Also I have revive installed and it didn't like your game much, but that's okay because nobody should need that to play it if you have a SteamVR version. So YAY.

I really liked swerving around and drifting in the desert. I managed to semi-perfect a maneuver where I would drift in reverse on a long arch while going like 120mph.

I don't have any of the delays you mentioned. However my head sticks through the roof of the car and its weird when I look up and can see the sky through the roof. I lowered my chair to compensate and it almost fixed it. Also, I feel like a little kid lying on my stomach playing with a big toy car in 3rd person mode, the sense of scale completely changes for me in that mode. Also the vive controllers are mostly useless (I don't have a gamepad connected ATM)

FUN
    Last edited by Volitions Advocate; 20th Sep 2017 at 23:08.

I guess I know what I'll be doing on Sunday!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    I don't have any of the delays you mentioned.
    Oh thank God. No delays when you hit the recenter button either? (Right thumbstick click or Z)

Also, I feel like a little kid lying on my stomach playing with a big toy car in 3rd person mode, the sense of scale completely changes for me in that mode.
    Yup, that's intentional. I liked the toy-car feeling that came from increasing the camera scale.

Also the vive controllers are mostly useless (I don't have a gamepad connected ATM)
    Do they do anything at all? The game's designed for gamepad, or keyboard. I'd be surprised if touch controllers/wands do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Do they do anything at all? The game's designed for gamepad, or keyboard. I'd be surprised if touch controllers/wands do anything.
    I can turn the steering wheel with the left wand using the steam controller D-pad thingy. Also didn't try using the recenter so I'll have to let you know later.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok, you can now turn the engine and the headlights on and off. I've also added a Game Over screen for certain scenarios and fixed an issue with reloading. I'm approaching the end of development with the usual ambivalent feelings. I've wanted this to be done with for a long time now, but I also kinda wish it went on forever so I wouldn't have to deal with the whole "releasing the game" hassle.

I need something to motivate me to wrap this thing up. I need...

A RELEASE DATE!

How about... uh... October 14th? Yeah, that'll do. Two weeks to wrap up the final details and make a non-VR version as well and also make a trailer and a page. PIECE OF CAKE!

OCTOBER 14TH!

BE HERE OR BE SQUERE

Would you still want feedback at this stage? If not, I'll wait until 14/10 to play the final thing; I didn't get around to giving the current version a test drive last weekend.

Re: the radio: I'm thinking it'd be very cool to play this while A Prairie Home Companion was playing on the radio, ideally with an old-time crackly audio filter.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Mmm, y'know, I've never listened to A Prairie Home Companion, I should give it a listen sometime. Doesn't seem like it's available as a continuously streaming web-radio channel tho, so I don't think I can use it in the game.

Level 10,000 achieved
    IT IS
    (pretty much)
    DONE!

Latest updates:
    -making/improving non-VR controls/graphics.
    -finally managed to fix a major "spatial jittering" issue that's been haunting the development since the start.
    -tweaks to how the radio works.
    -a few interface improvements.

Still to do:
    -update the credits and controls-display
    -edit the outro-music
    -add an invert mouselook option
    -make website and trailer

Bonus:
    I would like to flesh out the gameworld a bit more as well, and add some more terrain features.

Release will likely be first on Sunday.

I've settled on the title In Search Of Paradise (2017 Edition). (unless anyone has a better suggestion)

GOTY Edition, naturally.

Are you going to try selling it?

Level 10,000 achieved
    No. But I might try to sell the next thing, if it turns out as well as it's looking in my head.

Level 10,000 achieved
    In Search of Paradise (2017 Edition) HAS GONE GOLD!

Credits have been updated, music edited, a last minute issue with radio audio has been fixed. Invert Mouselook and Vsync options added. VR and non-VR builds have been built. Plus, I've improved the landscape in a few places.

Tomorrow I make a website and a trailer. Aiming for a release around noon.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok, it's 8:50 in the morning, last day of development, gonna finish this by noon. Time for some SERIOUS GAMEDEV! Time to WRAP THIS BAD BOY UP!

*cracks knuckles*

*swigs last of the morning coffee*

*puts on Unity sweatband*

*takes Unity sweatband back off because it looks silly*

*starts Unity*

*starts Photoshop*

*starts Premiere*

*starts Spotify and puts Eye of the Tiger on infinite repeat*

LET'S DO THIS

Level 10,000 achieved
    Damn, an hour and a half late. I guess it's true what they say... YOU CAN'T RUSH PERFECTION!

henke.itch.io/in-search-of-paradise-2017-edition

Congrats! Very much looking forward to going for a test drive.

Congratulations on making a great game even better, henke.
    Looks fantastic!

Random fitting quote:

Taurus: She gave you the car, it's your turn now man. If you don't like it you can walk the hell back to whatever it is you call a life. Just think about it.
    Groove Champion: I think better on the highway.

Downloaded, hopefully I can give it a go soon! "ISOP", heh, I can't help thinking it stands for "International Standards Organization, Paradise".