TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ruins of Originia FM4: Ashes to Ashes support

I'm aware that I just necro'd an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

I fiercely love the Originia missions despite (or perhaps partially because) of) their difficulty.

I've played through them many times in the past. However, Since I started using NewDark, I've played the missions 3 times in the last three years and have noticed each time that a gimmick the creator wanted you to exploit...well, can no longer be exploited.

The mystic soul gems (Oldolf, Quagnali, Mythra, Alphadius, Zazarius) are supposed to be used to spot invisible or nearly-invisible things. The Shadow Beasts, the personal enforcers of the Dark One are the most obvious example, but they can also be used to find a secret in the last mission - The Power Cells exhibit has a manipulable floor panel that leads to flooded passage that ends up in the central core of the power room (the big structure in the center resembling a holding tank). The core has an invaluably useful and unique item, the Clear Orb. However to get the panel to open, you have to find an invisible key and then use it to unlock a lockbox which is also invisible.

I have tried dicking with scripts to no effect. I can only assume the engine changes from NewDark broke this "feature". It doesn't break the mission, but does end up making an extremely tough mission even more difficult.

You can still technically spot the Shadows but their outlines are almost totally invisible and even though they still emit black hazy smoke, even that is hard to see - even with good sources of light trained on them. So hard to see, in fact, that I had to edit this screenie to point them out.

For comparison's sake, here is a pic from an old walkthough that shows how revealing the Soul Gems originally were...

Last edited by metal dawn; 15th Jun 2018 at 06:06.

I replayed that one a few days ago and never realised the Gem of Oldorf was not working correctly, but your correct, it played the same way with me. Hopefully a dml can fix this issue.

Yes, I hope so too.

I mostly posted this as a friendly warning to those using Yametha's walkthrough.

Amusingly, despite being so old, that one feature about the gems is the only thing "broken" about Originia. It has aged phenomenally well considering all the game changes, engine-related and otherwise.
    Last edited by metal dawn; 10th Jun 2018 at 16:12.

I can verify that the gem's feature of revealing hidden items also did not work in mission 1 Mines of Margroth in NewDark for me. Can't comment on missions 2-4. A .dml would be very nice.

I've heard back from Unna

There's nothing on the Gem or the Shadowbeasts that in theory make the beasts visible using the Gem, bizarrely the gem has a hue of 10, but there is no such thing as hue 10 in Dromed, it goes from 0-1, so she thinks that YcatX took advantage of an Olddark bug that has self corrected with Newdark.

So this bug can't be corrected with a dml.

The best that can be done atm is I'll place a note in my Ruins of Originia lootlist informing players they are unable to use the gem.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Here's a fix. It's not exactly the same setup, but it has the same effect. The shadowbeasts become visible when using a gem.
    Code:
    DML1
    //Fixed light based transparency on Shadowbeasts//bantar.gam.dml

+ObjProp -7843 "LBAlpha"            
    {
        "Active" true
        "Min alpha" 0.01
        "Max alpha" 1.00
        "Light level (0-100) for min" 1
        "Light level (0-100) for max" 50
    }
    Code:
    DML1
    //Fixed light based transparency on items//miss28.mis.dml

+ObjProp 328 "LBAlpha"  //invisible key is invisible by design//transparent texture          
    {
        "Active" true
        "Min alpha" 0.01
        "Max alpha" 1.00
        "Light level (0-100) for max" 10
    }
    +ObjProp 330 "LBAlpha"            
    {
        "Active" true
        "Min alpha" 0.01
        "Max alpha" 1.00
        "Light level (0-100) for max" 100
    }
    +ObjProp 335 "LBAlpha"            
    {
        "Active" true
        "Min alpha" 0.01
        "Max alpha" 1.00
        "Light level (0-100) for max" 100
    }
    +ObjProp 328 "SelfLit"            
    {
        "" 9
    }

+ObjProp 328 "SelfLitRad"         
    {
        "" 11
    }
    Last edited by Unna Oertdottir; 13th Jun 2018 at 12:35.

Excellent. I really appreciate you going to all that trouble. I'll give it a go on my next playthrough.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345