TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daraan's Tree Collection V1.0

New version of Daraan's Tree Pack is HERE.

@Daraan: I had to update the contact link in the readme file.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I never said I suspected it was actually infected, only that Chrome blocked it. And Chrome is the best browser for Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I never said I suspected it was actually infected, only that Chrome blocked it. And Chrome is the best browser for Windows.
    This is exactly what I wanted to say. Chrome is the best, and it blocked it. I didn't suspect it was infected, either, merely possibly a corrupt file archive or something. I used Ricebug's link and it worked just fine, well, it didn't work just fine - it told me that the file was not commonly downloaded and might be dangerous but it let me keep it by choice. I love your page of downloads, Ricebug, thank you.
    Last edited by Caradavin; 10th Aug 2014 at 16:19. Reason: change in file download status

Quote Originally Posted by Daraan View Post
    Yah they need transparency alpha - 1
    Yes, but when transparency alpha at 1.00, bark is all the time visible. Leaves don't block vision of bark anymore. Looks a little strange. Some advice to fix this ?

If the tree trunk and branches are different objects from the leaves (IIRC they are), try playing around with Renderer > Render Order on either or both.

It does not work. All option in Render Order make that trees disappear when you look at them through other trees (the same if you delete transparency alpha 1.00).

Did you try render order on the leaves with transparency set to 1.0?

Try 0.99 transparency. If even that doesn't work, i'll suggest you to take closer look on the render order property LarryG mentioned.

Yes Larry, I tried all option in Render Order with and without transparency 1.0. Eventually, in dark places always visible tree trunks is not such a big problem if we can't solve this little issue. In Daraan's Tree Collection HD mission zip, this problem also exist.

EDIT : @gigagooga 0.99 does not work. There is not much option in "Render Order", I tried it all.
    Last edited by Kurhhan; 7th Feb 2015 at 19:14.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurhhan View Post
    Yes Larry, I tried all option in Render Order with and without transparency 1.0. Eventually, in dark places always visible tree trunks is not such a big problem if we can't solve this little issue. In Daraan's Tree Collection HD mission zip, this problem also exist.

EDIT : @gigagooga 0.99 does not work. There is not much option in "Render Order", I tried it all.
    You might try object system>Immobile True Make sure render type is set to normal.

There might be a problem with the textures. They should only use 0 and 255 alpha values. If there are anti-aliased edges to the leaves, that might be the problem. The each pixel in the texture should either be fully transparent or fully opaque. Also you could try a material file for the texture that contains force_alpha_key. Doing that should allow a "sloppy" alpha mask (one that has anti-aliased edges with intermediate alpha values) to work.

Edit: Ref the "Image Alpha" section of the Modders_Notes.txt doc that comes with the NewDark package:

Image Alpha
    -----------

There are two types of alpha that Dark deals with. The first is 1-bit (on/off) alpha which is rendered with alpha
    testing/keying, unless alpha testing has been disabled. This works similar to chroma keying, where a pixel is
    drawn or not depending on the alpha. The benefit of that is that when it's combined with "alpha_test_as_opaque"
    (enabled by default), alpha tested transparent objects will always render with correct z-sorting. That's especially
    beneficial for vegetation that has a lot of intersecting polygons, but can solve sorting issues in other situations
    as well. The only potential downside are the sharper edges, which can be softened a bit with "d3d_disp_enable_atoc"
    for cards that support that.

The second alpha type is full alpha, which is the classic type where pixels can have varying degrees of transparency.

The typical 1-bit alpha images are palette based images that use index 0 for transparent pixels. However it's also
    possible to make 32-bit images that Dark will identify as 1-bit alpha by either making sure the alpha channel only
    contains 0 and 255 alpha values, or by specifying "force_alpha_key" in a material file. Conversely images which
    Dark would normally identify as 1-bit alpha, can be forced to identify as full alpha images by specifying
    "force_full_alpha" in a material file. It's also possible to force an image to be treated as a non-alpha image by
    specifying "force_opaque".
    Last edited by LarryG; 7th Feb 2015 at 21:19.

ZylonBane
    Short version: All the foliage needs to use or be forced to use 1-bit alpha so the video card can use the z-buffer to render them. Full alpha textures have to be per-polygon sorted by the engine, which as you've seen often goes wrong for complex objects. All 3D engines have this limitation.

BTW, all those TGA bark textures should be turned into PNGs. TGA with no alpha channel is pointless and wasteful. And why do all the white letter textures have those red/blue artifacts on them?

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Short version: All the foliage needs to use or be forced to use 1-bit alpha so the video card can use the z-buffer to render them. Full alpha textures have to be per-polygon sorted by the engine, which as you've seen often goes wrong for complex objects. All 3D engines have this limitation.

BTW, all those TGA bark textures should be turned into PNGs. TGA with no alpha channel is pointless and wasteful. And why do all the white letter textures have those red/blue artifacts on them?
    I think dds (dxt compression) will be better: in scene with many trees or foliages it's can crash (D3D fail to create texture...).

Too much technical stuff for me. So, the tree trunk issue can't be solve in some easy way. Not good, here was really good trees, dont know other hd tree packs, only Vurt's.

Zombified
    example: Palm1a (a palm tree, leaning to the side) - the model uses two textures, palmleafs.png and barkpalm.png, go to the folder where they are located (txt16), create two txt files, rename them to palmleafs.mtl and barkpalm.mtl, edit them and add force_alpha_key, save and it's done, transparency issues should be gone. do the same for the rest of the tree models/textures.

work like a charm, thank you. Will be useful also for others.
    Last edited by Kurhhan; 8th Feb 2015 at 18:57.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    example: Palm1a (a palm tree, leaning to the side) - the model uses two textures, palmleafs.png and barkpalm.png, go to the folder where they are located (txt16), create two txt files, rename them to palmleafs.mtl and barkpalm.mtl, edit them and add force_alpha_key, save and it's done, transparency issues should be gone.
    The bark texture doesn't have any transparency, does it? Its alpha mode shouldn't make any difference.

Zombified
    the tip of the trunk does have some small parts that look like they may need it, but double checked and saw no difference, so yeah, alpha keying the bark is probably not necessary.

So i have some problems with transparency, if i set the tree to transperency to 1.0 i see the inside of the trunk, if not i see the leaves png leaves edges making other objects invisible.

What are your solution for this?

Daraan trees are amazing, but when i use trees from free sites most of them i cannot use them due to this transparency problem.

I use Daraans trees with 2 objects in my mission - trunk and leaves are seperate objects, so it's no problem to give the leaves-obj transparency and the trunk-obj not.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I use Daraans trees with 2 objects in my mission - trunk and leaves are seperate objects, so it's no problem to give the leaves-obj transparency and the trunk-obj not.
    Thanks Christine, that's what i've been doing, a trunk with no transparency and leaves with transparency 1.00 but i guess there could be a solution for the single models.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    example: Palm1a (a palm tree, leaning to the side) - the model uses two textures, palmleafs.png and barkpalm.png, go to the folder where they are located (txt16), create two txt files, rename them to palmleafs.mtl and barkpalm.mtl, edit them and add force_alpha_key, save and it's done, transparency issues should be gone. do the same for the rest of the tree models/textures.
    ]

Leaving this here as it might help.
    Alpha sorting of the engine is sometimes mehh :/

Btw. Cardia you asked in another thread if I'll add some more trees. Indeed there are some more but I lost them
    They are some 'nicer' trees which don't look so meager. Thick and curvy.

Well between two data migrations it went *ups....gone*. Only got a screenshot but haven't seen a file anywhere.

I DO have some models not made by me but they were made available on some natural/geographic site and maybe you guessed it I don't know where I got them so I don't know the exact license under which they gave them away.

Daraan, So maybe a new dark update could fix that?

most of the trees i found in free object sites that i convert to bin file and can use in dromed are displayed in a unacceptable way , yours for example are acceptable regarding some problems with transparency.

I found these bushes you made in this site, they are very good, but in dromed they appear very transparent:

https://opengameart.org/content/bushes

I´m almost finished with my current project, so its very likely that i will not need much more new tree models, maybe Gecko will have his new tree and grass pack available for us in the meantime.

Daraan , a big thanks to you, if it wasn't your trees, weed, vines and vegetation packs, my two maps would be filled mostly with the usual Thief 2 vegetation and trees models which are not so realistic.
    Last edited by Cardia; 8th Jul 2017 at 18:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    I bookmarked that site. Awesome, lo-poly models for games. I might just have to make another mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    I bookmarked that site. Awesome, lo-poly models for games. I might just have to make another mission.
    Terry , here's one filled with low poly objects:

http://www.sweethome3d.com/freeModels.jsp

And this one which you´ll find plenty of free objects, not all are downloadable , and there's many low poly objects as well:

https://sketchfab.com/MortemNightshade/collections

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12