TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: My Thief fan localization project

My Thief fan localization project (Slovak translations)

I am going to attempt the unattempted, even if the results will interest few people. Actually, I have already been working on it for several weeks now...

I am giving the trilogy a localization treatment. Into Slovak.

I have never played the games with the official or unofficial Czech or Polish localization, so that puts me at an advantage. I am not influenced/tempted by existing translations.

Granted, it's a slow, long and careful path. For now, I'm translating basic things, like the briefings, some of the more important dialogues, some of the setting's terminology and lore, etc. I have not tampered with the relevant game files yet. It's too early.

As for my plans on translating cutscenes in the first two games: I'll probably just make an edited version of the videos, with subtitles added. In short, the "Bukary approach" to translating said vids.

I'd like to thank the staff of the Thief wikia for making my effort somewhat easier by producing all those fantastic transcriptions in the resources section. I highly value and admire their efforts. They've done a great job.

I'm currently focusing on translating the first two games. Deadly Shadows will get equal treatment too, but I'm putting it aside for now due to the different structure of the briefings and the level/mission progression. Just to keep the work flow more in line, since the first two games are closer to each other on a technical level.

I'm setting up this thread in order to occassionally discuss some aspects of the translation that I might find perplexing or controversial. Because of this, I'd also like to hear the opinions of other Taffers.
    Last edited by Petike the Taffer; 23rd Mar 2017 at 02:35. Reason: specifying the title a bit more

Zombified
    well, good luck - with all the strange phrases and words, you are going to have a tough time making sure nothing gets lost in the translation. let me know if you'll need someone to proofread.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    well, good luck - with all the strange phrases and words, you are going to have a tough time making sure nothing gets lost in the translation. let me know if you'll need someone to proofread.
    First of all, thank you for the kind words and encouragement. And yes, I appreciate the proofreading offer. Also, if there are any other Slovak taffers around here, feel free to alert them of this thread. I'll appreciate feedback on the translation, disagreements included. I'm not the sort of person that is permanently satisfied with my own work. Every author makes mistakes or bad decisions.

Second, before I even started, I actually focused on translating the more peculiar terms used in the setting. I haven't decided on how to handle "taffer" yet, but I might go down a creative route if I find a plausible and well-sounding solution.

I'll include an overview of some of the already translated terminology in the following post. I'll gradually keep updating the post, as long as it will be possible. Once the first list stops being viable, I'll continue it in a newer post.

If no one minds, here's an update: I've been making some good progress with the translation in the last few months. While it's an on-and-off kind of thing, I kept working on it whenever I was bored. Still haven't come up with a good made-up neologism for taffer, though... So I'll probably keep that term as it is.

However, since I'll be fiddling with a switch to Windows 7 during the following weeks, I'm putting my efforts on hold for the time being. But as soon as I have all three games up and running, I'm revisiting the translation process.

I'd also like to give a repeated thanks to all the wonderful contributors at Thief The Dark Wiki, for all the resource lists and transcripts they've made up until now. All of these have been a fact-checking godsend to me while I was translating.

Zombified
    maybe check the czech localisation? wonder what they've used for taffer. maybe you could use "zbojnik", not too accurate, but should be usable enough - leaving taffer untranslated will not look too good, I think.

maybe check the czech localisation? wonder what they've used for taffer. maybe you could use "zbojnik", not too accurate, but should be usable enough - leaving taffer untranslated will not look too good, I think.
    No, I've ruled out zbojník, given how it has more of a connotation of "rascal" these days than the more slur-like quality it had centuries ago. BTW, if you're fluent in Czech or Slovak, I might eventually send you some of my notes. Just so I could get some independent feedback on the translation.

Zombified
    I'm a SK native, so yeah, I'm fluent (and a grammar nazi, actually).

Update: Still working on this, but I've had a few months hiatus on the project and I currently plan to reinstall the games to speed up my work on certain bits of the translation.

I'll keep you guys and gals informed, hopefully on a more regular basis.

As I've been playing TDM quite a lot lately, I've decided I might have a go at translating the interface and some of the FMs while I'm at it. I'm already a member of the TDM forums, so I might give them an offer soon.

At the moment, I'm otherwise dabbling in localising TMA. TDP still needs some work, but I prefer to work on both, alternately. Makes the whole process a lot less boring.
    Last edited by Petike the Taffer; 10th Jan 2015 at 06:15. Reason: really weird typo

Important update: After having translated about a half of TDP a good while ago, I want to return to translating the trilogy this year. It seems I'll finally have enough time to really get a lot done. (And hopefully, I can get a translation out by the beginning of next year, at the latest.) Wish me luck.

If anyone knows how progress on the inclusion of subtitles via NewDark is going, please let me know. I'd like to use subtitles for my translation of TDP and TMA, as much as possible (for NPCs and so on).

Zombified
    NewDark does support subtitles, so it's just a matter of creating them and putting them into a format the engine can read.

I'm not sure how big the wordcount is for Thief titles, but games can easily have from 10,000 to 100,000 words. 50k is a month of full-time work for one person, day in day out (with free weekends). And you'd still need proofreaders, localisation testers etc.
    Last edited by Judith; 23rd Mar 2017 at 06:20.

NewDark does support subtitles, so it's just a matter of creating them and putting them into a format the engine can read.
    Awesome. Glad to hear that. It won't be a priority anytime soon, but subtitle support was something on my wishlist when I decided to start this fan translation a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    I'm not sure how big the wordcount is for Thief titles, but games can easily have from 10,000 to 100,000 words. 50k is a month of full-time work for one person, day in day out (with free weekends). And you'd still need proofreaders, localisation testers etc.
    Obviously. But it's already been a long-term effort (not counting my hiatus in recent years), so it's not something impossible to ask for. I'm taking my time, working on one game at a time (while having notes prepared for the rest to come).