TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Increasing pickpocket count while playing

Increasing pickpocket count while playing

Testing a mission I've noticed that count of available pickpockets changes during the game: 13 at start and 16 in the end. I've loaded saved game into editor and tried to find the reason, but no luck. I tried to enter 'hilight_by prop altlink' and got all my AI hilighted. Checked any of them; no one had link Contains. 10 pickpockets were taken already, so 6 must stay intact. So I have two quistions:
    1) what can cause such a bug?
    2) how to trace it in saved game?

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli

No. BTW, it seems the archer bug was cured in New Dark.
    When I start mission and finish it with Ctrl-Alt-Shift-End, I see 13 available pickpockets.
    When I wait for a while and finish the mission without doing something useful, the count is still 13.
    When I load file saved in the middle of the mission and finish it, the count is 16.
    Of course, I'll start mission once more and will check the count after any suspicious event, but now I have no even a guess: what can produce these 3 extra pickpockets?!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    The archer bug normally only adds one, but if you've added two similar links in your gamesys, then it might explain the difference being 3.

I'm no expert, but it might be worth checking: do you have any AIs spawning later in the mission? If you do, and they have pickpockets, it would explain it.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    It's about humans, so you might try this:
    Load the savegame in DromEd, type this

link_draw_on contains
    hilight_obj_type human
    hilight_render 1

maybe you can find out the unexpected link.

Is it possible that it is something set in the mission quest data? I seem to remember something similar happening in a beta test long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    Is it possible that it is something set in the mission quest data? I seem to remember something similar happening in a beta test long ago.
    Thinking about this as well.

We have to work with this I think:
    When I start mission and finish it with Ctrl-Alt-Shift-End, I see 13 available pickpockets.
    When I wait for a while and finish the mission without doing something useful, the count is still 13.
    When I load file saved in the middle of the mission and finish it, the count is 16.
    You tested this with multiple runs? Start mission. Save. Load end?

Loading a save game would trigger a sim message.
    Maybe there is a initializing trap that gets some stuff done and would do so again after a load.
    But 1st how that can could increase the pickpocket variable is beyond me at the moment. 2nd Why would it only work after one reload only, or does it increase even more?

No matter how much times I save/load and in which order. In the beginning I have 13, in the middle and in all later saves - 16. Though, the current version of miss file is a bit different than it was while playing, but I've nothing done with variables.
    Firstly I've noticed in stats that pickpocket count is too high. Then I've start checking.
    do you have any AIs spawning later in the mission?
    No.
    Is it possible that it is something set in the mission quest data?
    What is correct to call "something"? There are a lot of custom things there, but I did nothing nothing with DrSPocketCnt. Yet.
    I've tried all three commands, the result was surprisingly zero. All 'contains' links from the last save are generic keys (+ two forgotten powerups in the footlockers). Nothing with alternate or belt attach. DrSPicketCount=16, DrSPocketOK=9, DrSPocketFail=1. I have no idea what the latter mean, maybe it is picking arrows from the falling archer after knocked him out?
    Honestly, a couple of hours ago I've found 3 fake pickpocket count - some objects were attached to humans via Alternate contains link, and those objects were destroyed during the game. So there should be 13, no more. I've tried to do the same in the very start of the mission - to destroy the objects intentionally. Then I've checked DrSPocketCnt again. It was still 13.
    I think I should fix those three and start the test again. I'll do that in a few days. Let's see what happens. Then I'll return here with some news. Now it seems rather like a random program bug.

So what happens in the first half of the playing of the mission? Obviously if you stand idle at the beginning forever nothing should change, so something that occurs like a conversation is changing the conditions of the mission. Use the process of elimination and disable each event or conversation one at a time until the problem stops occuring.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    If you start new, immediately save, load and then Ctrl-Alt-Shift-End (without playing any of the mission) is the count 13 or 16? In other words is just the act of loading a save game adding the 3 extra pockets?

I've found one part of soultion.
    Test mission was on hard, the new one started on Normal by default. I have different count of archers for that cases. So the pickpocket count doesn't change itself in game! It's proved.
    It was a good news. But I have also the bad one: the picpocket count is still incorrect, on any difficulty level. The count of archers are: 5 on Normal, 7 on Hard and Expert. So I may expect the similar pickpocket count on Hard and expert, but they are still different: 16 and 17.
    I've tried to delete all 7 archers and to see what happened. Wow! Now I have 8, 9 and 10.
    Seems like something adds extra pickpocket count depends on difficulty level. But I'll check every link in manual mode. Now it is a challenge.

Well, the problem is solved. Checking links one by one I've found finally robots with attached parts (alternate contains link). They coudn't be found in saved game because of the slay condition; their count is different on Normal, Hard and Expert. Everything is fixed. Thank you for your help!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Attached parts which are not pickable should use a DetailAttachment link instead of Contains.

The system was developed long before New Dark and don't need to be changed now. Too much to fix.
    Though... can't remember right now: does DetailAttachment work with material objects?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    If you mean objects with physics, then no, you're not supposed to do that.

If the objects attached to the robots were not meant to be pickable or dropped I'd would have just made them part of the robot's mesh.

Really, it is not problem yet.
    -5: DrSPocketCnt (Damn! Colon + D is not equal to smiling face!)
    is all I need.
    The best I knew was
    link_draw_on contains
    hilight_obj_type human
    hilight_render 1
    I believe all that commands can be found in original command list or in modder_notes.txt, but somehow I've missed them. Very useful tool.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Indeed! I sometimes use link_draw_on aipatrol to be able to visualize patrol routes.