TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Dampening Effect on Rotate Tweq?

Dampening Effect on Rotate Tweq?

Is there a way to have a jointed object swing back and forth, slowing and shortening the rotations, like a pendulum slowing to a stop at center? This would be a deceasing rate and decreasing (in absolute value) low-high angles.

The only thing I can think of is an A/R setup to have a source which has an intensity slope of some kind so that the intensity of the stim varies over time. Then a series of receptrons to change the Tweq>Joints values by intensity of the stim received. Clunky, but it might work. Before I go through the hassle of trying that idea out I wondered if I am missing some well known (except to me) joint tweq capability or script.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    This was suggested by ZB in the custom scripts thread a while back, but it doesn't seem that either of the script writers took notice.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i used rotate tweqs in third times a charm so that the gears in the lift house would rotate forward and backwards, and used a complex set of traps to add/remove them. same thing could work here, using a timer trap you can trigger each add/remove set, remove the old metaproperty, add the new one, start the next timer. until you reach the zero speed setting. only problem is making it end in the "bottom" position. the timers have no idea where the pendulum is. maybe an a/r setup can be used there. i'd have to mock something up to see if it even works.

OK. Sounds like I haven't missed anything obvious. I'll see what I can do with my idea for A/Rs and metaprops. If I could just set the Tweq > Joints rate-low-high with a script that would make it a lot easier ... for example what does StdGuage actually do? All I have read is,
    StdGauge
    gen.osm 1/G/2
    A variation of StdLever. Manipulates the joint 1 settings of Tweq\Joints. Does nothing by itself.
    which doesn't tell me a whole lot, but is intriguing. I couldn't find any other references to it.

Or
    SubDoorJoints
    gen.osm 2
    Activates all of the joints in Tweq\JointsState. Goes forward on DoorClose and reverse on DoorOpening.
    Maybe I could send incearingly rapid TurnOn/Offs until the the timing between is small enough that I couold turn off the Tweq ...

Or
    ScaleTweqJoints
    Manipulates a joint tweq of an object. The tweq range in Tweq\Joints is multiplied by the scale value to set the joint position.
    This sounds really promising. Just keep calling it with a scale of .75 maybe. That should regularly decrease the swing of the joint.

This inherits from GenericScale:

GenericScale

A knob-like script which works with a numerical argument.

The script will respond to TurnOn and TurnOff messages similarly to GenericTrap. The effect is specified in the design note parameters on and off. Each parameter is a number that the scale will be set to when triggered. If the off parameter is omitted, then the negative of the on parameter is used.
    ScriptControl

A ScriptControl message will set the value of a scale directly. The first message argument will be converted to a number.
    Receptrons

Stimulus sources can be used to set a scale value. Configure the receptron with the desired range and the action Send to scripts. Set the parameter arcontrol to the name of the stimulus. The scale will be triggered with the intensity of the stim. If the source intensity isn’t suitable for the desired effect, you can use the Amplify reaction to change the stimulus before the Send to scripts reaction occurs.
    If I were to use a stimulus source to set a scale value, does it still need the TurnOn to effect the Tweq change or does it set the scale and apply it when it receives the stim?

I was thinking of just leaving the scale at 75% so that each time it is applied the low-high get closer together until they are both near zero. At that point I would turn off the Tweq, perhaps with a timer ... does that make sense? Or am I blowing smoke?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have some thoughts in this idea as well as a question of my own. Instead of using tweq to handle the movement of a pendulum is there a way to anchor the top and have the physics engine act on the pendulum?

When referring to 'Rate' in the Joint and Rotate Tweq what unit of measure is the Rate referring to?

Don't think it's possible to anchor it anywhere else beside the center.
    With modifying the pendulum object itself you could to that. (Giving it twice the length and setting the anchor point to the center)

Then you could apply object rotation.

The rate should be
    Dromed Units in 1 second for translating.
    Degrees in 1 second for rotation.

Ok thanks Daraan for the help.

That's basically what I did in my last fm. I modified several objects like chandeliers so that the top was at the center of the object, and I used the Rotate Tweq to 'swing' the object. I also made sure the center was slightly below the beam/ceiling it was hanging from.

In the case of the rotation I specified 1 as the rate and the object took 35 seconds to make one complete revolution. I was eyeballing the point on the object so it could have been 36 seconds. With this in mind it seems that a rate of 1 would actually mean 10° every second. I'll have to test this later.

Making use of the CurveC: Pendulum flag changes the meaning of the Rate value. There's an explanation in modders_notes.

I believe that. When I added the Pendulum flag to my objects they rotated wildly but I was able to tame them with lower values.