TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: I wonder if anybody figured out this bug...

I wonder if anybody figured out this bug...

A long time ago, I've discover a bug about the range type AIs in Thief 2 (might work for Thief 1 too). I'm going to put this as a spoiler because it has a good chance to ruin some people's FMs and the original missions. It's kinda considered cheating to me.
    Well, here it goes...
    There's one way to keep those range types (and I mean all range types) from shooting at you in plain sight. If you bring out your sword and hold down block while looking slightly downward, they won't shoot at you. Sure they will be yelling and walking back and forth or even get frustrated, but they won't get you. Kinda cheap, eh?
    I don't why this works that way, but it does.
    Last edited by GORT; 1st Aug 2014 at 08:23.

Blackjack is much better than sword - because blackjack is more light. And of course proof, that it works with blackjack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPkyzdEywNk

Thanks for putting that example with the blackjack up. Like I said, it's kinda like cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by GORT View Post
    Like I said, it's kinda like cheating.
    If it would be as f*** you to enemy with bombs or arrows, it would be not as cheating.

EDIT: The player with this trick will be "invisible" not only for robots or archers, but even for shoot-towers (I tested it in level "Sabotage at Soulforge"). This trick for some reason will not work with Thief 1.33 and 1.37, this issue starts from version 1.07 of Thief 2. It will work with Thief 1 if this Thief is patched with NewDark 1.19, 1.20, 1.21 or 1.22.
    Last edited by Xmodule999; 5th Aug 2014 at 05:22.

No use for me :(

Nice glitch ,but it's useless to me since i'm a Thief and Thieves like me never get caught .

Quote Originally Posted by GORT View Post
    I don't why this works that way, but it does.
    I understood a long time ago that should be of course "I don't know why this works that way, but it does.".

First time I tested this glitch while it was 01.08.2014. I think that most probably I would never find this glitch without hints.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmodule999 View Post
    EDIT: The player with this trick will be "invisible" not only for robots or archers, but even for shoot-towers (I tested it in level "Sabotage at Soulforge").
    Actually, i wanted, jokingly, write that it makes you invisible, because the guards can't see you behind your sword or blackjack. Didn't know that it really is the case.

Hopefully Le Corbeau can fix this for 1.26

I've run in to this bug as well. Based on the way a similar bug works, the helicopter blackjack, I always believed the way it works is the blackjack becomes a physics object when held out in front of the player (during blocking). Since there is an object in front of the player, it blocks the archers line of sight and they give up trying to shoot you. The same way they would if you run around a corner.

I know it still works when you turn your back to the enemy, but I don't see how it could make the archers completely lose sight of Garrett as though he were invisible. As you will notice they do the animation for when they can't path to the player's location. If you go invisible like with a potion they would go into hunt mode.