TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Oooh! Dreaded Obj Out Of Range Assertion Error..Solved.

Oooh! Dreaded Obj Out Of Range Assertion Error..Solved.

Oh yeah, things progressing very nicely until I decided to put some thievable cash into my growing level and when I went into game mode and tried to pick it up...crash bang wallop Assertion Failure:: Obj ID1501984 is our of rangein cObjArray:: operator[] (M_Bounds.Min==-8192, M_Bounds.Max==8000) (File::ObjArray.h, Line:106)
    Blah, Blah, Blah...well bugger you Dromed...I have had this before, herald one of my hdd,s plugged into my docking station..a quick rootle around and a nice new copy of convict and gen.osm,s the faulty ones renamed and the new ones copied into place and Bob's your uncle working nicely again.
    Damn Dromed and it's little jokes...very flamin' funny.

Got the same error.
    But I did not understand what you did. Please write detailed solution without emotions

He updated his copies of gen.osm and convict.osm.

It's unclear how the scripts are related to objects.
    I did the same thing after having dropped all scripts, but it did not help. The truth is now I'm not getting this error window. Dromed just crashes every time I add a new object and after exiting the game mode via Alt+E.

Moreover, when I saved the result, I could no longer open this file. He was hopelessly spoiled. Well that there is backup, otherwise my work would be lost forever.
    I can not continue to do anything until I find out the exact cause of the error.
    At the moment I have at the level only 1000 objects out of 8194 possible.

How can I get a full bug report at the level?

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Did you update to ND 1.25? Do it.

I deleted a few random objects, then added a bunch of clones - Dromed no longer crashes. Then I removed all clones and restored the necessary objects. Now I continue to work normally.
    This is a very strange phenomenon, but I'm not sure what the reason is in scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    Did you update to ND 1.25? Do it.
    No, I was afraid of updates in the middle of work. Although I think I will still do it now.

Sorry for the delay have been backwards and forwards all last week getting the steering sorted on my new second hand bike.
    What I did was...
    1..renamed the Gen.osm and Convict.osm to faultyGen.osm and faultyConvict.osm (these are in my DromEd folder and not in the Thief 2 folder...I have a seperate copy of DromEd tucked away in the Games folder of my windows 7 and seperate from my working copy of T2...I also have no links to it from any of the launchers other than a shortcut on my desktop).
    2..navigated my way into my working T2 folder that is patched of course with the latest NewDark version and copied and pasted Gen and Convict.osm's into the Dromed Folder.
    That is all I did and bingo it works..I have had this irritating error a few times and this quick fix works everytime...I don't know why it does or what causes the problem in the first place and this is only a patch up and not a cure.
    Hope it helps.
    N.B..oh the reason why I renamed the faulty pair is just in case importing the replacement .osm's buggered up everything else...the I could restore them and start the long "please help" bit.
    N.B N.B..the DromEd copy had been NewDark patched prior to using it as the previous copy I was using got well and truly buggered by yours faithfull pratting about with his gamesys so I made a new one and it is the first run of the new DromEds that seem to fire this error up for me?.
    Last edited by Ravenhook; 13th May 2017 at 10:42.

Thank you, but maybe this was due to Missing archetype (there were several thousand titles).

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Tear View Post
    It's unclear how the scripts are related to objects.
    I did the same thing after having dropped all scripts, but it did not help. The truth is now I'm not getting this error window. Dromed just crashes every time I add a new object and after exiting the game mode via Alt+E.

Moreover, when I saved the result, I could no longer open this file. He was hopelessly spoiled. Well that there is backup, otherwise my work would be lost forever.
    I can not continue to do anything until I find out the exact cause of the error.
    At the moment I have at the level only 1000 objects out of 8194 possible.

How can I get a full bug report at the level?
    The scripts have nothing to do with the limits of objects. I've seen cases where an Out of Range or Out of Object IDs error popped up because too many objects were being created in game mode.

Honestly unless you have a failing hard drive there's no reason for gen.osm or convict.osm to go bad repeatedly. The two files are never changed by Thief or Windows. You can use the FC utility in Windows at a Command Line prompt to compare a suspected bad copy of gen.osm with another copy. To compare two files type FC /B badgen.osm gen.osm.