TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 491419242934394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1157

Thread: Sneaky Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Thief 3

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Just install the new version over it - the previous version will be uninstalled as part of the process. In this case install the Full version unless you're in the middle of a T3G play-through.
    Thanks, that's great.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by mensch View Post
    Some of the quotes (the most relevant ones) from the loading screens are used in the briefing videos. There's quite a lot of material currently only visible during the loading screens. Modern games sometimes require player interaction before dismissing the loading screen. But it might be a bit of overkill (and probably impossible) to implement that kind of functionality just to be able to see the quotes.
    An improved pause feature, such as waiting for the player to hit a key before entering the game, would probably not be hard to do. But IIRC you only get one quote per loading screen, after that it's tips, which may be valuable to newcomers but otherwise mostly annoying... So yeah, probably not worth the effort.

Sneaky Upgrader
    New beta in the post above, because in the last one a late fix for another issue would cause the first numbered quick save to be "Quick Save 2".

The only other change is that the 5 ffmpeg DLLs have finally been replaced with one NewDark-style ffmpeg.dll, with unnecessary functionality stripped out.

Sneaky Upgrader
    New beta yet again, as an unknown build issue caused .518 to not start up at all.

Sneaky Upgrader
    1.1.8 is out, containing several bug fixes. If you've had trouble getting the patched game to run, try this version.

(The following is mostly a rehash of previous beta posts. New, relative to the last beta, is:

• The Windows 10 fix is on by default again - needed for vsync
    • The option to have multiple quick saves is off by default
    • You can now select NewDarkLoader from the tweaker
    • Thief 3 Gold has an option to switch between the new version 1.3 and the previous 1.2 - handy for people currently playing 1.2

Those with betas installed should upgrade - especially from .518 and .519, which had the weird intermittent crash on launch.)

Apart from the bug fixes the changes are:

• Fix to make vsync (and possibly brightness) work on Windows 10
    • 'Direct load' mode, which is a bit cleaner and hopefully more reliable
    • You can now have multiple quick saves. An additional option to quick load the most recent save, quick or not
    • Some troubleshooting options have been added to the tweaker
    • The 'mouse improvements' tweak is now 'no rotation blur'
    • Select which FM loader to use from the tweaker
    • All binaries linked statically, to reduce installation trouble
    • Moving texture files around when configuring the Collective Texture Pack is now more robust
    • New Thief 3 Gold Inn mission, without tutorial stuff and with the new exit mentioned above

The Windows 10 fix was apparently found by UCyborg on the Vogons forum. The fix overwrites code in d3d8.dll to disable the pseudo-fullscreen mode imposed by Win10. That's somewhat fragile and may break with a Windows update - a couple of checks were added to detect that.

This version was supposed to have an installation option to make the Steam overlay work (copied from the Visible Upgrade for DX2) but Steam explicitly disables the overlay for T3, so it wouldn't work. As a work-around to get the overlay working, add the patched game as a non-Steam game. (Browse to the Steam install and select the Thief3.exe file.)

The direct load mode (enabled by default) launches a second instance of Thief3.exe directly when loading a save or new level, instead of going through an external launcher exe. It looked like this could make loading faster - in practice there's no difference. But since synchronization in this mode is much simpler it may fix the cases that some have reported, of the game hanging on relaunch. (Although virus checkers are also a suspect there.)
    In the direct load mode the desktop title bar is hidden for a few seconds around the time of the relaunch, making the transition a bit cleaner too.

The "numbered quick saves" option makes the game cycle through e.g. 5 active quick saves, "Quick Save 1" through "Quick Save 5", the oldest of which will be overwritten next time (and quick load will of course load the newest). There's also a setting for retaining every quick save...
    Thief 3 has always had a rep for frequent quick save corruption. Not sure about "frequent", but it does happen. So players relying heavily on quick saves are encouraged to use this feature.
    The "quick load most recent save" feature will just cause the quick load function to load the latest hard save if it's newer than the most recent quick save - so you don't have to remember if you did a hard save or not.
    Both these settings are on a new Save Game page in the tweaker. A couple of existing save game related options were moved there too, and must be re-enabled.

The tweaker's Advanced page was renamed Troubleshooting, and now exposes some options that may help in certain special situations: Attempted loading of damaged saves, ReShade/dgVoodoo work-around etc. The direct load mode can also be disabled here.

The "mouse improvements" tweak has been reduced to a "no rotation blur" tweak. The other part of the original tweak, zeroing MouseLagThreshold, is now always active (with an option to disable).

The tweaker's fan mission loader page now allows you to select which FM loader DLL to use. The bundled default is FMSel, but a recent alternative is NewDarkLoader, which aims to combine the best from FMSel and the classic DarkLoader for Thief 1-2.

The bundled C++ runtime in previous versions were causing installation trouble for some users, so from now on binaries are statically linked. That also makes things easier for Wine (Linux/Mac) users.

Last but not least, Beleg Cúthalion has provided an updated version of the Inn mission for Thief 3 Gold. This is not the final Inn map, but an intermediate version, which has had all tutorial stuff removed except on Easy - and there's a new exit:

Because of this the T3 Gold version has been bumped to 1.3, which means old savegames will not be visible after installation. Use the button on the tweaker's FM page to temporarily revert to version 1.2, e.g. to finish a play-through.
    Last edited by snobel; 25th May 2017 at 15:25.
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

Thanks for your work guys, you rock.

BTW, just a heads up, not suspecting anything, but, Avast Free found a virus signature in the 1.1.8 installer, "Win32:Evo-gen". I can't upload such a big file to them, because i have quite a slow internet connection, just to let you know.
    Last edited by chk772; 21st Mar 2017 at 12:26.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks - virus checkers seem to always think they find something in Inno Setup installers. Avast is particularly problematic it seems - there's been a report on Mod DB that it'll keep the patched DX2 from even starting up.

I ran the Update Edition through Virus Total: 3 / 61 positives, which is normal. Avast is one of the three. I've uploaded the Update to them now.

Thanks man. Virus scanner just seem very sensitive these days. Already had the one or the other false positive with Avast.

Hello everyone, just a few questions:

I noticed that the original Thief Deadly Shadows' intro trailer has this quote in the beginning:

"Cry, Brethren, for the Betrayer is Come. Your Hands will be Crippled, and you will Perish as the Wretched Outcast in the Bleak Unwritten. And you will know the face of the Destroyer."

But the SneakyUpgrade cuts it out...Can I ask why ?

Are there any other cut outs ?

Are the new 1.1.8/1.1.7 videos very different from the original Thief Deadly Shadows' videos ?

Many thanks

Well now that I have upgraded to 1.18 nothing works. The game loads to menu and when I try to start a new game it crashes to desktop. Newdarkloader won't even load the game to menu at all if I click play thief 3. I'm afraid to try a fam mission. Tell me where the log is and I can post it for you. Please help!

I have two more questions :

I upgraded to 1.1.8 just now...

for some reason the in-game tips for the starting level are gone..How do i restore them ?

Why can't i kill civilians ? what settings should i change in order to be able to kill/knock out civilians ?

I can't say anything about the civilians, but I think this bit posted earlier by snobel should answer your question about the in-game tips:
    Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Last but not least, Beleg Cúthalion has provided an updated version of the Inn mission for Thief 3 Gold. This is not the final Inn map, but an intermediate version, which has had all tutorial stuff removed except on Easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Kolonial View Post
    Are the new 1.1.8/1.1.7 videos very different from the original Thief Deadly Shadows' videos ?
    The videos are not a replacement, so the originals are all there. In addition, each mission now has a introductionary video. Deadly Shadows didn't have briefing videos preceding each mission, but this was handled by just having the text in one of the menu screens and Garret narrating. The new videos use Garrett's audio and the text is still available in one of the menu options after the video has ended.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Yes - play the Inn on Easy difficulty if you want the tutorial stuff.

I noticed that the original Thief Deadly Shadows' intro trailer has this quote in the beginning:
    "Cry, Brethren, for the Betrayer is Come. Your Hands will be Crippled, and you will Perish as the Wretched Outcast in the Bleak Unwritten. And you will know the face of the Destroyer."
    But the SneakyUpgrade cuts it out...Can I ask why ?
    Not quite sure what you mean. The quote is not part of the trailer video, but a screen shown before it starts, when you leave the game idle at the menu. Did you select the trailer to show on start-up in the tweaker? If so, you'll see only the video, not the quote.

Are there any other cut outs ?
    What mensch said, and the SU doesn't modify the original videos in any way.

Why can't i kill civilians ? what settings should i change in order to be able to kill/knock out civilians ?
    This would be nothing to do with the SU I think. If you're still talking about the Inn map, then it's probably an artefact of the tutorial elements. If you find that it's specific to the Inn mission, then you can post a request here - Beleg may agree and change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingm View Post
    Well now that I have upgraded to 1.18 nothing works. The game loads to menu and when I try to start a new game it crashes to desktop. Newdarkloader won't even load the game to menu at all if I click play thief 3. I'm afraid to try a fam mission. Tell me where the log is and I can post it for you. Please help!
    First, try disabling your virus checker and see if it makes a difference. If not, try disabling the 'direct load' mode on the tweaker's troubleshooting page. Also, you need the very latest NDL - 1.4.7_2 but if the original game doesn't work, then FMs likely won't either.

"Not quite sure what you mean. The quote is not part of the trailer video, but a screen shown before it starts, when you leave the game idle at the menu. Did you select the trailer to show on start-up in the tweaker? If so, you'll see only the video, not the quote."

true, If I keep it idle at menu, Quote + trailer plays. But that's not how the original game was ... the original game plays Quote + trailer when you start the game...anyway Thanks alot for answering my questions...

Another issue is that there is a black screen that lasts for 10 seconds before the loading screen shows up...is this normal ?

By loading screen I mean the Blue Heron Inn(the very first mission) mission loading screen and possibly other missions' loading screens...
    Last edited by Kolonial; 22nd Mar 2017 at 12:28.

Sneaky Upgrader
    the original game plays Quote + trailer when you start the game
    What do you mean by "start the game" - when you click the icon on the desktop, when you click New Game or when you click Start on the briefing screen?

Which version of the game do you have? The three versions I have (original retail, GOG and Steam) by default all play some short movies promoting nvidia, EAX etc. when starting from the desktop. The trailer only plays after the time-out.

Another issue is that there is a black screen that lasts for 10 seconds before the loading screen shows up...is this normal ?
    Behind the black screen, the game is restarting itself. So it takes some seconds, although 10 seconds to get the loading screen sounds like a bit much. Did you time it? Edit: Went and timed it myself. In fullscreen 10 s is actually about right.
    Last edited by snobel; 22nd Mar 2017 at 12:41.

I have the retail version...if you look at this video, you'll see that the Quote+trailer is played right after you start the game....first thing you see after you click the game's icon....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-K2KUGq_Ag&t=450s

is there a way to shorten the time the black screen lasts ?

Many thanks

Sneaky Upgrader
    I have the retail version...if you look at this video, you'll see that the Quote+trailer is played right after you start the game....first thing you see after you click the game's icon....
    I'm quite sure that was edited into the video. He's using the Steam version with an earlier Sneaky Upgrade (and John P's textures), no way it would show the quote at that time. As I said, in the tweaker you can select the trailer to be shown - but no quote.

is there a way to shorten the time the black screen lasts ?
    If you don't mind brightness and vsync being broken then you can cut a couple of seconds off by playing in borderless fullscreen mode (and match up your desktop and game resolutions).

Registered just to say thanks. The game was unplayable before, but with your patch I can finally enjoy it on my UW monitor. Your effort is greatly appreciated!

Sneaky Upgrader
    You're welcome. What's the resolution of your monitor?

I've got the 29um68-p, that's 2560x1080. I got the bug with the lockpicking not working and the game was warped because the right resolution was not available. It's now working perfectly thanks to you!

Alright, I see that a few users mentioned the stuttering issue with SU installed but I'm not sure a solution was ever found. I have the issue as well, default settings, 1080p 60hz, Core i5 4670k overclocked to 4.2 ghz, Gtx 980, 16 gigs of ram, so that certainly rules out any performance theories. Game runs a solid 60fps, but there is an evident stutter/skip every second, almost like a vsync issue except is vsync doesn't affect it.

Try to use dgVoodoo2

I'm having a weird issue with Deadly Shadows.

I tried every setting I could think of yesterday to try and resolve the problem, with no luck.

Specs:

i7 6700K @4.7GHz
    GTX 1070
    16GB RAM
    Windows 10

The game functions correctly before the mod is installed, but when sneaky upgrade is installed (Even if I run the install with no checkboxes ticked), the mouse cursor is no longer prevented from leaving the main game window. This means if I need to turn around to the right and then click on something, I end up clicking somewhere on my second monitor and swapping applications.

I'd ordinarily just disable my second monitor while playing, but I'm hoping to stream the game soon and it would be a bummer to not have a second monitor for chat, etc.

Has anyone encountered this before, and how did they fix it? (Additionally, using the 3rd party program "cursor lock" didn't help)

Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 491419242934394041424344454647 LastLast