TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: is there a guide to make a skybox?

is there a guide to make a skybox?

i am interested in learning how to make a skybox any guides out there?

also does the sky box also include the background that is not able to be reached? like city in far distance

Google how to make a skybox. There are video tutorials.

thank you i am checking one out from unity now
    Last edited by downwinder; 10th Apr 2017 at 23:47.

As far as I know, a skybox is a skybox is a skybox. IIRC, there are only two formats:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skybox_example.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	2344

and

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hdr_skybox_sides.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	2345

You can look at any Thief skybox to see which applies. I think it is the first.

Zombified
    yeah, the first one would be my bet as well - anyway, here are a few Thief ready skies that can be used as an example of how to rearrange other skyboxes.

IIRC, Thief uses 6 separate files. No matter in which order you arrange them into a cube. Cut both formats to 6 squares and you'll get the same.

i wanted to see if it is possible to make a surreal skybox,but i don't do animation and not sure how the movable clouds below the sky box work,so i have to pass as its harder then i though

i don't even think the clouds that move below the skybox are part of it,so it seems skybox is only part of doing things in the sky

also i don't think sky box colors can change over time?/have each square animated on a timer so it changes after 1 hour or something,from day to night in a slow progression to make it look normal,but each square would have to be a super long gif,not even sure that is possible to do,then set them in the pattern of box and hope it allworks along with lower clouds that also can change color over time

i think what i want it not possible yet in gaming,to have a skybox go from day to night gradually and have in different colors while animated clouds below can also change color over time

i goal was to make a mc escher type of sky where you would feel like you on another planet,with transparent type planets in sky also like a background

would be kinda like cardia's mission where you on a ship and then beam down to that planet ,if you look at sky box there you will see how cool it is,it felt real

also the mission the drop had a unique sky and feeling when moving on different area's due to slant=made me feel unbalanced

i guess i though the sky box did it all,but i guess it only does sky

so to add background of things in distance is something in dromed

and trying to type what i want to do is very hard for me,but hope someone gets it

Finally picking up dromed ?

I tried to apply animation to distant art, it just doesn't work. Not sure about skyboxes (for me, they are too limited for serious use), but I suspect it's all the same.

ZylonBane
    Skyboxes can be animated, but I wouldn't recommend it due to how much memory it uses.