TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Litebeak with invisible textures

Litebeak with invisible textures

I always thought it was odd that the entire lighthouse beacon light rotated instead of just the interior light, so I fixed the joint in Anim8or. After I placed the new version of the object in my mission, all of the window panes except for one have no visible texture on the outside. I can see all of the textures on the backside of each window pane. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Btw I noticed that IIRC Schwaa fixed the lighthouse beacon as well but I haven't looked at his version yet.

I have no clue about Anim8or but I would suggest that you check the assigned textures, maybe in the .e file as well.

Well the textures are identical to the original .E file. Later I'll try changing the joints in the original .E file and process's that with bsp.

Transparency is a bugger. Especially if you have something with transparency seen through something else that is transparent. Does this situation occur in your setup? If so, you could try messing around with render order for those objects to see if it gets better. Playing around with the degree of transparency (0.75 vs. 0.65 in Anim8or) may also help. But my experience is that with transparency you are better off arranging things so that this situation doesn't happen instead.

Not exactly. The lighthouse beacon is the stock object used in Thief 2. I just simply changed the joint references from 01 to 00 because the joints have to start with 00.

In dromed one pane of glass looks fine with texture visible on both sides, but all of the others are invisible except when viewed from behind. I think LGS must have used something like a decal as each pane of glass, and the backside of each pane when viewed in Anim8or is facing outward. I'm actually going to make a new beacon with higher polys for my mission but I just took a sidetrack in trying to fix the original's joint problem.

I also had the idea of editing the joint references in a hex editor but only the base object and the sub object are listed in the bin file. There is no reference to the axle name anywhere in the bin file. It must have been converted to binary while the other references were left in ASCII text probably as strings.

A second idea was to use the .E file generated by bintoe and edit it & run it through bsp... Never using n3ds2e or Anim8or but I got the same result.

Sometimes the conversion utilities hose things up when converting an original LGS object to .3ds. For such a simple object, you may be better off recreating it from scratch using the original as a guide.

That's my plan. I also want to make the light element light up instead of the whole object so that will be a fun project to work on.