TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Object Repository

I've just installed a collapsing/expanding category plugin so the list can be much less sprawling. If you like a sprawling list, you can expand the categories and they should be remembered. It requires JavaScript and the allowance of cookies.
    Last edited by R Soul; 23rd Apr 2017 at 06:40.

The page looks a bit tidier.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Much nicer, thanks Robin!

I've got about halfway through uploading objects from Behind Closed Doors. If anyone wants any I've not uploaded yet, they're also available from my site here: https://nickdablin.wordpress.com/thief-models/. They should all be on the Object Repository in a day or two though.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I've just installed a collapsing/expanding category plugin so the list can be much less sprawling. If you like a sprawling list, you can expand the categories and they should be remembered. It requires JavaScript and the allowance of cookies.
    Nice.

Would it be wrong to post objects that were originally LGS objects but fixed in some manner? I fixed the armoire that has the mysteriously rotating trim piece at the top.

I have a question, sorry if It's a wrong topic to ask - are "Deep Cover" models safe to use in Thief FM making?

Dttirin klist oft mur mttli
    Since there are already many System Shock objects in Thief FMs (Deep Cover is similar) and nobody cared, I'd say: yes, you can use it.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I believe the DC objects were specifically released to us with the T2 Gold assets, with the intent being that we could use them.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Would it be wrong to post objects that were originally LGS objects but fixed in some manner? I fixed the armoire that has the mysteriously rotating trim piece at the top.
    I can't imagine this would be an issue. There are many modified LGS assets at the Repository, and we talked about this a few pages back, if I recall.

I remember the conversation but I thought the general consensus was to not post content from commercial games. If it's ok I wouldn't mind uploading the armoire but I would still give LGS credit for the object.

Well, you may be right, but to me it seems to comes down to the degree to which the original was altered. For that I guess it's your call, unless others want to chime in here. For reference, here's the original conversation.

I reiterate:
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    I wouldn't think there are any issues with Deep Cover objects since they were released to TTLG for distribution. The thing to remember is that you should upload only objects that you have rights to, generally speaking that you yourself created or which the author released into the public domain. It isn't for things that you ripped from a game.
    LGS objects were released specifically for our use. So on that count there should be no issue with their use in Thief fan missions. Further, a broken LGS object which you fixed to behave properly is a new object, derivative to be sure, but a new object based on one which LGS released for fan missions, and as the author of that new object you have the right to release it or not as you see fit. Attribute it as you have stated, a fixed version that you made of an LGS armoire.

Yes, that's how I see it also.

I've just added LGS to the _Artists category to make it simple to give proper credit. I recommend the post title be of the form Improved [object] by [your name] with LGS as one of the categories. If you want to put LGS in the title, that's also fine, but the new category should definitely be used so people can use it to search by.

Ok cool. Thanks Robin. I'll probably upload the armoire tonight.

I didn't wanted to return here, but i can't stop thinking there are authors out there who could use some objects i have been converting to bin.file

So i propose the next, will it be alright if i host only objects that are credited and also not ripped from games? or is still that problem?

I noticed alot of objects have been deleted from object repository, thank you after all the working hosting.

And i appreciate if you don't call me "Dude" , in my country (Portugal) is a low way of addressing someone which means "Gajo", maybe its cool in your countries, specially among teenagers , but honestly i don't like to be called "Dude".
    Last edited by Cardia; 13th May 2017 at 09:27.

The site now has a 'terms and conditions' page. There are only two rules for object uploads:
    1) You have permission to upload them.
    2) You say who made them.

Example:
    This is a nice object: https://free3d.com/3d-model/simple-w...air-73012.html
    The information panel on the right states "Personal use only License"
    The terms and conditions of this site include definitions of licences.
    Personal Use License: "You may use "Personal Use" Content only for private projects, testing. Not be published or displayed publicly in any way."

That might even exclude a screenshot, but it's not so clear to me. I'd be okay with your own screenshot and a link to the original download page. People can do the conversion themselves. I would, however, like to hear other peoples' opinions on that.

Forgive my ignorance of Portugese, but how is gajo an insult?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gajo
    gajo m (plural gajos, feminine gaja, feminine plural gajas)
    (informal, chiefly Portugal) guy; dude (used to address someone whose name is unknown, forgotten or ommited)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Forgive my ignorance of Portugese, but how is gajo an insult?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gajo
    gajo m (plural gajos, feminine gaja, feminine plural gajas)
    (informal, chiefly Portugal) guy; dude (used to address someone whose name is unknown, forgotten or ommited)
    LarryG you want to teach me Portuguese culture? Spare me ok? "Gajo" is not a bad word like "F.ck" , "Gajo" can be used among close friends but it can be used in a depreciate way in Portugal. As far as im concerned "Dude" is a low way of addressing, you might feel comfortable being called "dude", but i don't , don't you know what respect is? we are all different, and we should be treated with the due respect.

I have 32 years of life experience in Portugal and i know more about my country that most of the Portuguese people, so don't come tell me "how is gajo an insult"?

Robin what does it means "Personal use only License", does it mean that it can not be hosted in other sites?

My cousin is a lawyer and he tells me whenever the author name is missing i should provide information in the credits on the source where the object was obtained. legally i can do it, but morally for some people here they think we should have a credit list for every piece of objects we got at home. So i prefer just want to host objects that are credited.

Let me know what i can host to avoid having people come here angry address me "dude". because i know ive been called here "dude" only when someone expresses unsatisfied feelings towards me.
    Last edited by Cardia; 13th May 2017 at 11:05.

I have been called a lot of things in my 66 years on this planet and I would have loved to have been called "dude" instead of some of the vitriolic bile that was spat at me whilst serving my Country and still is at times by the two ancient cnd marxists that exist in our Town.
    Still each to their own I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhook View Post
    I have been called a lot of things in my 66 years on this planet and I would have loved to have been called "dude" instead of some of the vitriolic bile that was spat at me whilst serving my Country and still is at times by the two ancient cnd marxists that exist in our Town.
    Still each to their own I suppose.
    Duncan that's fine, maybe everyone in England likes to be called "dude" but in Portugal i can assure you most of the people don't like to be called "Gajo", its usually used and well accepted among teenagers or big friends, if one of my best friends were to call me "Dude" i wouldn't reprehend him/her i would just smile like an idiot, but here i didn't allow extreme trust for people to address me the way they want, i can consider them my friends but not best/close friends , because i don't know you people, and i don't know almost nothing about you.

Yeah thanks but no thanks Pedro, don't take it the wrong way but just don't upload anything because your judgment can't be trusted

Quote Originally Posted by Squadarofl View Post
    Yeah thanks but no thanks Pedro, don't take it the wrong way but just don't upload anything because your judgment can't be trusted
    Right, like i should expect anything positive from you.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Robin what does it means "Personal use only License", does it mean that it can not be hosted in other sites?.
    If you look at Robin's post, the part in bold says "Not be published or displayed publicly in any way". Hosting it anywhere is publishing it, so that particular personal use only license would not allow us to upload it to the repository.

Also, your response to Larry was a bit ridiculous. He did preface his comment with "Forgive my ignorance of Portugese", but you then proceeded to lecture him as if he were saying he knew more about your language than you do. It was obvious, to me at least, that that was not his intent.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast