TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NPC in sit-position and temporary fighting

NPC in sit-position and temporary fighting

Hi

I want an fellow sitting on a chair. He is "team good". If an enemie
    comes near, he has to stand up and fight. After that he should return to the chair
    and sit again.

How can I achieve that ?

M-AI_Sit

Nothings happens: I added that string to AI_Core->AI.

No effect. Is there something I should know ? I find no informations for M-AI_Sit.

I tried: MetaProperty->AI_Behaviours->AI_B_Gen->M-SittingDown

The problem here is: After the NPC stood up, he dont return to the chair and sit down again.

"Returns to origin" is set !
    Last edited by schleicher; 3rd Jun 2017 at 18:56.

'Returns to origin' is just about a location or patrol route. It doesn't remember exactly what state the AI was in. And while it may be possible to set up something to make the AI sit down (NVMetaTrap, a conv etc), I don't think anyone would be so nonchalant as to sit down so soon after being attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    'Returns to origin' is just about a location or patrol route. It doesn't remember exactly what state the AI was in. And while it may be possible to set up something to make the AI sit down (NVMetaTrap, a conv etc), I don't think anyone would be so nonchalant as to sit down so soon after being attacked.
    The problem is: I want to have the NPC sit down after he done his job. Nonchalance yes or no ;-)

Or is your hidden Message: My idea is pretty complicated to do ?

What message tells you that he has done his job? If you can determine what that is, you can use a conversation to get it to go back to the chair and sit. But it will take work and may not be 100% reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    What message tells you that he has done his job? If you can determine what that is, you can use a conversation to get it to go back to the chair and sit. But it will take work and may not be 100% reliable.
    I understand: I thought, the NPC can be configured in that way, that after fight (when he automatically goes back to normal) he returns to his
    start-position and start-pose.

So this is not integrated in dromed.

Or question: Do send an NPC such a signal when he switches from fight-mode to normal-mode ? I mean the moment, where the NPC withdraw
    the weapon and stops to search for more enemies ?

It doesn't look like it. The way to find out is to give an AI the script NVSpy and then go into game mode. You'll see many of the received messages on screen. Return to Dromed and look in the Mono window for all messages.

I had a brief check earlier on and saw Alertness and Damage messages, but nothing for when the AI calmed down. You could use an AIWatchObj link, with low alert conditions, to trigger the AI sitting down, but those links are checked regularly, and the AI would initially be at low alert, so you'd need to have that link created in-game if/when the AI becomes more alert.

The Watch Link Defaults property (on the dest object) can be used to pre set the link data. If this works, the AI will become alert, which would trigger this link being created to some object near the AI's origin (e.g. the chair). After calming down the AI will approach the chair and the link should trigger.

But, and this is very important for this example, triggering some things after an AI has calmed down is one thing, but the engine doesn't cope well with sitting AI; the physics system just wasn't made that that in mind, so you may be able to get the AI to sit down again, but he may look like a complete berk.

Another thing is that when an AI is told to go to an object, their arrival point is approximate. AI will never go to an exact coordinate equal to the coordinates of the object. In a past mission of mine I had to teleport the AI to get him exactly on the chair. That method looked jerky.

Thanks for the ideas. I will do some experiments.