TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Joints bugs in Thief II

Joints bugs in Thief II

Can't understand what's wrong with regular Thief II object "OfficeDesk2Cab" (-1428). This desk has two doors, left of them is opened a bit.
    Sometimes when I enter DromEd it's opened angle is different! It may be almost half-opened or even almost shut. A can't find any TWEQ property to adjust this angle, but this object definitely has a joint. I intent to hide something behind this door, but I don't want to make this thing completely impossible to see.
    The same thing I have seen with Lock Boxes. The normal angle for locked (default) lock's bar is 90 degrees (locater horizontally). But sometimes I saw this bar in 80 degrees positions, and at once it stuck in position 180 (vertically), and I had to edit it's TWEQ > LockState property to disable it's "on" flag.
    What's going on with this joints?

We all know how wild Dromed can be. It may be an artifact from the massive programming genious of Dromed. The same thing can be seen with hanging signs, and today I just noticed the same thing occuring with the iron maiden. The two sides have always been at 90 degrees, but today they were more open at about 135 degrees.

Take a look at the VicArmoire with the wood trim on top. It rotates as the player moves left to right. Actually there is something very wrong with the whole top left side of the VicArmoire.

Quote Originally Posted by Zontik View Post
    Sometimes when I enter DromEd it's opened angle is different! It may be almost half-opened or even almost shut. A can't find any TWEQ property to adjust this angle, but this object definitely has a joint.
    I've never experienced the random rotation, but if you want to fix the rotation, add the property Shape > Joint Positions. Joint 1 is the left door, and Joint 2 is the right door.
    The numbers are degrees, and you can use negative numbers. I find -45 is easier to visualise than 315.

OK, R Soul, I'll try once more. Maybe I was too tired at that moment and made something wrong in Joint Positions (but I'm sure I'd already tried to do this trick).
    Interesting thing I noticed: every time I enter game mode from Dromed and return back, the open angle increases a bit. Restarting DromEd resets it's value to... default?

Some later: great, it works! My mistake was the following: I tried to find TWEQ > ... property to fix the bug, but did not even think about Shape > Joint positions. Thanks a lot! Now please forget about how I intended to use this table...
    Last edited by Zontik; 17th Mar 2008 at 03:15.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm now having problems with the Shape -> Joint Positions property. In dromed they work fine on the wall spot light, but in Thief the property has no effect.

Forgive me if I sound patronizing, but did you remember to save the mission as miss##.mis so the game can load it?

edit: I see no effect from that property on that object in Dromed or in game.
    Last edited by R Soul; 9th Jun 2017 at 17:44.

Yes it is saved as miss26.mis.

I have Joint 1 set to 110.00 so that the base of the wall spot light sits against the angled roof in my mission. When I play through Thief the base is angled in the other direction. The picture below shows the model with the Joint Positions set in the background, and a similar model without Joint Positions set in the foreground.

That's not the original model. The default one has no joints. Bear that in mind if that model's being loaded from a mod and not from the FM's own set of custom objects.

I don't know why it would work in Dromed but not in game, but perhaps the JointState property (not needed, but inherited from further up the hierarchy) is causing some sort of conflict.

That may be the problem because in my FM play installation I don't have any mods installed. It might be an EP2 version so I'd have to include it in the zip file & give credit.