TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egyptian Textures Pack

Egyptian Textures Pack

A while back I scanned some textures from an old book called The Valley of the Kings by Erik Hornung. I had thought to use them for an old idea I started to work on, but got nowhere so I'm sharing them here. They're in PNG format and pretty large, so you might want to edit them down for your purposes. Hope you find them useful!

EDIT: Due to the fact that some people are bringing up copyright concerns, I've taken the link down to avoid controversy. Glad you found it useful GORT
    Last edited by Independent Thief; 18th Jun 2017 at 20:49.

Awesome! These will go great for my next FM campaign. Thank you for these textures.

Quote Originally Posted by GORT View Post
    Awesome! These will go great for my next FM campaign. Thank you for these textures.
    Another campaign after TROB 2 finally comes out? You are really mad, GORT!

I don't want to sound unappreciative of contributions, but posting copyrighted content isn't a good idea. The copyright year of 1990 doesn't make it that old either.

Thank you Independent Thief, its good to see you around here. Its better not to share anything here, because there are many people here who are ungrateful and will instead place Hindrances and reprehend you .

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    I don't want to sound unappreciative of contributions, but posting copyrighted content isn't a good idea. The copyright year of 1990 doesn't make it that old either.
    That's a good point. That's why I'm going to use them as a reference and create some custom ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Thank you Independent Thief, its good to see you around here. Its better not to share anything here, because there are many people here who are ungrateful and will instead place Hindrances and reprehend you .
    We can translate that into many people who like to keep things legal. I'm not at all ungrateful, but did you ever read this:

No Warez, Illegal Software or Scans of Copyrighted Material.

This includes linking to, posting about, requesting, and suggesting ways of obtaining illegal software and/or other copyrighted materials such as scans of magazine articles. Posting such information may also result in your posting privileges being revoked. Furthermore, we will not tolerate postings that encourage people to violate copy protection by referring them to sites that have copy protection codes publicized (including No-CD Cracks) and/or illegal software. Any such post will be removed from our forums and your membership and posting privileges will be revoked as soon as we find the offensive post.
    This is from the Forum Rules and I wouldn't like to see anyone banned from TTLG even when their intentions were good.

GORT I agree that they can be used a reference for the kind of decor used.

John is correct, we don't want a reputation for abusing copyrighted material. It's actually in the forum rules, if anyone cares to read them. Here is the relevant excerpt:

This includes linking to, posting about, requesting, and suggesting ways of obtaining illegal software and/or other copyrighted materials
    And Pedro, you have already said elsewhere that you don't care if you break the law, and that you have no respect for other people's work. We understand that. But it is unkind of you to disparage this forum just because we don't make it easy for you to break the law. I have to admit that I'm a little bit surprised at your cavalier attitude about this issue. But, to each his own. Just not here.

Edit: John ninja'd me! LOL Anyway, sure, these can be a source of inspiration.

you´re not breaking the law by using something that is older than 10 years, actually it is legal to use something that has more than 10 years, I don't remember saying that i don't care for other people work.

Here's my current credit list of my current project:

Technical Dromed asssistance: FrenchDecay, Gort, LarryG, Yandros,voodoo47, Necrobob, R soul,john9818a,Judith,
    FireMage,Le MAlin 76 ,Unna Oertdottir, Brethren, Le MAlin 76, Daraan, Soul Tear, Nemyax, gamophyte

Help provided in other matters: bassoferrol, Phantom, Judith, Zappen
    Unna Oertdottir, Rsoul, Larry G, Yandros , GreenHorn

shanty textures by Tim (http://www.tmp4f0778d5.daily-host.co...l-shanty.shtml)
    terrain textures by me, Akinuri, CG textures.
    Grass land Skybox by Kothic

Objects:

Sluggs, Ottoj 55, darkShadow, Larry G, Nick Dablin (nicked), Nameless Voice, Yandros,raetsel
    Pinkdot, Elvis, Rsoul, Dale, Greenhorn, Master_edd, team t2x, firemage, soul tear, Targa, Pinkdot,
    BlackThief,Eshaktaar,Ar-Zimrathon,Randall Taylor,Zontik,pdackel,Eshaktaar,Dhin,Asgaroth,G'len,shaik sha,
    Glenn Campbell,TyroSmith,Dido Franza,Aaron Soriano,emil,kaio basso, Zappen, PlanIT 3D, Berken Eren Usar,
    Gunnar Correa,Luke Picciau,Dennis Haupt,Hitesh Sahu,Muhd Ariff,PlumCantaloupe,Tyro Smith,lily,dionne,
    FathanFadhlurrahman, Brandon Westlake, gloryfish, radioaktivemonkey,Gabriel Dias,Johnstone Barrios,
    comphonia, rlggut, Renafox,Marcin Gomulak (MaKiPL), the watcher,h0rrocks, Andrew Booth 3D, Pink-Droid,
    Targa, vovaustimuk, suskunbilgetr,Marek Picheta, XAF Productions,jesusblasco,lukasvop,Nobiax,W. Sitters,
    VirtualBG, PagDev, R. Robles,luxox_18, Mike Rowley,geckosteeves, bilgehan.korkmaz,tnext54,Fabian van Dorst,
    arion3d, Tiziana aka TiZeta,daniel132, Francesco Coldesina,3D Share,Omar Alama, enviromist,Emmanuel PUYBARET
    Enetheru, Jacob McKee-Wright, Reallusion, Steven B, FlukierJupiter, sarmstrong8979, harold1995, cyba,
    owestgate, uncle808us, aaron_nerlich, 3DHaupt, Biswajit,Jetstorm_477, khanhnguyen1189, Conviley,
    Dexlabs.Innovations

And the list will be longer in the end of the project

That shows that i care crediting authors.

you´re not breaking the law by using something that is older than 10 years, actually it is legal to use something that has more than 10 years
    I don't know where you got this idea, Pedro, but it is clearly not true. Here is the relevant information from the U. S. Government Copyright office. A copyright lasts for the author's lifetime plus 70 years, at a minimum.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    A copyright lasts for the author's lifetime plus 70 years, at a minimum.
    This convention takes effect in almost every country.

Well but not in Portugal i think, but it seems also in Portugal according to this pdf its 70 years after the authors death:

https://estudogeral.sib.uc.pt/bitstr...de%20autor.pdf

Bu i will ask my cousin about this, he is a lawyer.
    Last edited by Cardia; 19th Jun 2017 at 05:36.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    This also takes effect in Portugal. Of course. Everywhere in the EU. This is an old convention.

This includes linking to, posting about, requesting, and suggesting ways of obtaining illegal software and/or other copyrighted materials
    Shouldn't that read:

"This includes linking to, posting, requesting, and suggesting ways of obtaining illegal software and/or other copyrighted materials"?

I don't think "posting about" is naughty.

Desperately dodgy geezer

And the list will be longer in the end of the project

That shows that i care crediting authors.
    Citing the creator of a copyrighted work you're using in your mission still does not give you permission to use it. Whether or not you're allowed to use it is based on the terms of use and whether such use is permitted or granted by the author. In the case of most of the items you previously uploaded to the repository, uploading it and even distributing it within your FM archive was not allowed. I'm not saying this is necessarily the case about any of the authors you listed, I'm just saying that you haven't really shown that you understand that distinction.

Anyway the book is still in publication.

Honestly there is no reason why we shouldn't use the same integrity LGS used when gathering resources. Some of their paintings use original artwork but then again they were very old... Probably more than 100 years old. LGS put a lot of trust into us when they released the editor, and the last line of the tutorial said "don't cross the beams" which to me means don't do anything illegal.

Wrong Russ, actually i can use all that stuff as each object has a description saying i am allowed to use them freely, and i´m not talking about the stuff i uploaded in object repository. Some of those models i even asked to its authors to use it in my non-commercial project and they gave me permission.

you see i found this site very useful where i can see what objects i am allowed to use and i can ask permission to its authors if necessary or even ask them to download their object if the"download" is not available:

https://sketchfab.com/models/e74a564...795bc4606b839b

Now you´re going to think on another hindrance to throw me even if the author gave me permission to use it because for you its to good to be true ,so go ahead post your objections .
    Last edited by Cardia; 19th Jun 2017 at 09:40.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Well Pedro, I did say that
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I'm not saying this is necessarily the case about any of the authors you listed
    but you go ahead and jump to whatever conclusions please you. If you've done the due diligence to secure permission for those objects, then more power to you, that's exactly what we've all been trying to get you to do all along. I was just pointing out that your recent history in this area doesn't exactly encourage any of us to give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes to your understanding how to handle things. And neither does your overly defensive and often immature responses to the people who criticize you.

Wrong Russ, actually i can use all that stuff as each object has a description saying i am allowed to use them freely, and i´m not talking about the stuff i uploaded in object repository. Some of those models i even asked to its authors to use it in my non-commercial project and they gave me permission.

you see i found this site very useful where i can see what objects i am allowed to use and i can ask permission to its authors if necessary or even ask them to download their object if the"download" is not available:

https://sketchfab.com/models/e74a564...795bc4606b839b

Now you´re going to think on another hindrance to throw me even if the author gave me permission to use it because for you its to good to be true ,so go ahead post your objections .
    No other hindrances, Pedro. Really. All anybody is concerned about is making sure we don't get a reputation for using other peoples work illegally and/or without their permission. It looks like you've been doing what is necessary, so that's good. And that looks like a good site.

Quote Originally Posted by ffox View Post
    Shouldn't that read:

"This includes linking to, posting, requesting, and suggesting ways of obtaining illegal software and/or other copyrighted materials"?

I don't think "posting about" is naughty.
    TTLG has always had a no tolerance policy about posting links to sites where things can be obtained illegally. This is similar to our ban on even discussing publicly the no-CD hack for the Thief games. I'm sure it wasn't intended to prohibit a discussion such as this one, though.

Came across an article with some interesting information:

In the USA, any photographs of public-domain works are also automatically public domain, by law, so long as they are "slavish reproductions" (in other words, just a photograph of the thing, not some kind of art in their own right.)
    Any claimed copyrights on such photographs are automatically invalid, because you are not allowed to copyright something which isn't original work, and a photograph is just a copy.

More details here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bernar...b_1867076.html

Of course, most of us don't live in the USA, but copyright laws generally always have a clause that it must be an original work, and there are also cases in Europe where reproductions of facts, such as non-artistic photographs, are not considered copyrightable.

Since the files have since been taken down, I can't check what they actually consisted of, but I got the impression that they were just plain photographs showing details of ancient Egyptian buildings and artworks from a time before copyright even existed.

I can't believe this is true, i´m having finally support , are you sure i can use your objects Russ? even with your permission? Well in that case i feel relieved.

Yes Michael, that site is good because many authors will reply you, give you permission and give also a download when not available...so as long as you credit them, you can even host you models there if you want.

Nameless voice, i´m photographer and i must agree with you, its true, but in France for example Photographers have more rights, included rights reserved and another respect from people around.

In Portugal unknown people have use my HDR photos i did with Lamego landscapes, they got my photos from "olhares.com" a site where you can host your photos to do a Photographer portfolio, they used my photos in Geocaching game sites as main photos for their background pages , they never care to ask me or credit me, i din't get angry but i didn't like also the fact they didn't credit me...
    Last edited by Cardia; 19th Jun 2017 at 15:29.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I never said you couldn't use my objects, if by that you mean the ones I made with Anim8or and released on my site. They are a perfect example of objects which are allowed - made by someone in the community with no copyright claimed and usage granted and encouraged. If that was a serious question, then it's clear you still don't understand how things work. But if it was a joke... then I'll laugh with you.

Russ, i will actually have a single line as a special thanks to you "special thanks to Yandros", because the object "res_cube2s" is the one i use more in my current project as it allows me to shape it to multiple objects, most of the stoves, furniture, fridges , washing machines, plaques, mail boxes, doors and other objects i have in my current project are from the res_cube2s.

another single line with a special thank for Rsoul for teaching me how to work with certain tools on Blender.

a single line for Purgator Ai skins, probably it will be the only ai skins i will use.

A single line for Gort for making objects for this project.

A single line for Zontik for making me a portuguese lamp for this project

And its very likely i will stand out other authors here in my credit list.

Having observed this "community" for many years I can say there is a lot of truth to that statement I have to admit, but in fairness Cardia I must say you get quite bold a times in your grabbing of resources from other games and I think that's what has gotten people so sensitive to these issues. There's many FM's including mine (to be fair I try to give credit in the txt) that have tapped into textures and other resources from a variety of games. If we all got uptight about it, half of the FMs that are out there would have to be expunged.

I wasn't out to break the law or create problems for anyone, I scanned some images from a book that were taken of egyptian artifacts that were thousands of years old. Had I not put down where I got them, who would have known where they had come from? I didn't withhold that information because I wanted to be honest in where I got the resources-not to mention perhaps stirring up some interest in the book which I found fascinating.

As for this rule:

This includes linking to, posting about, requesting, and suggesting ways of obtaining illegal software and/or other copyrighted materials such as scans of magazine articles. Posting such information may also result in your posting privileges being revoked. Furthermore, we will not tolerate postings that encourage people to violate copy protection by referring them to sites that have copy protection codes publicized (including No-CD Cracks) and/or illegal software. Any such post will be removed from our forums and your membership and posting privileges will be revoked as soon as we find the offensive post.
    The scanning of copyright material referred here seems to be focused on magazine articles, which could be interpreted as simply ripping off gaming magazines without paying for them-not obtaining images for use in FM work. Tannar, perhaps you might consider adding a clarifying clause to this rule to make clear scanning of images from copyrighted materials for dromed editing would fall under this rule as well.

Come to think of it...perhaps it would be a good idea to pull my missions until I could replace all the custom stuff with OM resources.

I'll ask my Cousins two children..erm not quite children, they are both in the Metropolitan Police, one is in the fraud department and the other is an assistant chief superintendant dealing with undercover work, but I'll tell you what both will say.."copyright is copyright and if you use it without the owners express permission you are breaking the law and that now encompasses intellectual property too"..which in our speak means you'll get the blunt end of a large baseball bat up yor nether regions and a fine..if you are lucky because they throw "ignorance is no defence" at you too.
    Sorry to be the harbinger of damp squibs and TTLG is quite correct in banning it altogether because different countries might have different laws but TTLG is in the states and must abide by those laws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast