TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Objectives not working

Objectives not working

Let me preface this by saying I'm a total newcomer to DromEd. I've been using an online tutorial to help get to grips with it. Its been going well, up until the part where I've tried to implement objectives.

The guide in question.
    The part I'm at.

The guide suggests using external program Thief Objective Wizard for more convenient objective creation. As far as I can tell I've followed everything to the letter and have saved the .cmd file containing the objectives and loaded it into DromEd. Looking at the mission quest data, it seems everything has been loaded in without a hitch.
    The objectives for Normal are:

• Enter the tower grounds via the side entrance (activated by pulling a lever)

• Steal the Horn of Quintus (located in a lockbox)

• Collect 25 Loot

• Return to where you started.

Only the first objective works, and that required some extra setup to get working, as outlined by the guide: I needed to create a QuestVarTrap and link it up to the lever, with a variable set to complete the first objective when it is activated.

Since all I've done with the other objectives is load them into DromEd from the cmd file, I wonder if I need to do some additional work to them as well? However, the guide suggests that they should be working by this point and doesn't offer any advice if they aren't. What can I do to get around this?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Did you set the target of the other three goals correctly? For instance, goal_target_1 should be the object ID of the horn, goal_loot_2 should be 25 and goal_target_3 should be the concrete room ID of the starting room. You should also have set that one to Final, i.e. goal_final_3 should be set to 1, and also goal_irreversible_3 should be set to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Did you set the target of the other three goals correctly? For instance, goal_target_1 should be the object ID of the horn, goal_loot_2 should be 25 and goal_target_3 should be the concrete room ID of the starting room. You should also have set that one to Final, i.e. goal_final_3 should be set to 1, and also goal_irreversible_3 should be set to 0.
    Yeah, I've assigned the targets for each of the three goals, and made the return to the starting room objective final (though I didn't make it irreversible).

Welcome to the forum, Rokinath! We're always happy to see a new author.

Definitely! Glad to see new folks here keeping the community alive and growing.

Ok, let's work on the second and third goals first. I suspect the Horn goal isn't checking off because it's contained in a chest, that's correct? It's possible that it won't work that way automatically because the player only frobs the chest, and the horn is given to them via scripts. It's easy enough to do it manually though:

1. Create a QVarTrap. Set Trap > QVar to "=1:goal_state_1" (without the quotes).
    2. Add a ControlDevice link from the chest to the QVTrap.

That should do it because containers send TurnOn messages down ControlDevice links when they're opened. You may need to set goal_irreversible_1 to 1 to make sure the goal doesn't get unset if you close the chest afterwards.

For the loot goal, make sure you have goal_type_2 set to 3 (loot goal) and also that goal_loot_2 is set to 25. Make sure it's not goal_gold_2 or goal_gems_2 instead of goal_loot_2. Also, what type of loot item did you place to meet the goal, and what is its value?

Southquarter.com/fms
    You said the Horn was in a lockbox, I'm assuming you meant a footlocker? You can't put an object in a lockbox. That said, it should work fine if it's in a footlocker or other container like a treasure chest.

Yandros' solution above works, but I'll show you the old fashioned way. I always do objectives manually. You can still use TOW, but this is what the setup should look like in Dromed when you're done.

Using your original example - go into Editors->Mission Quest Data. You should see the following lines, assuming the Horn is object 99 and your escape room is ID 50:

(I'm skipping your first objective (objective 0) because you said it was working).

goal_type_1, 1
    goal_state_1, 0
    goal_visible_1, 1
    goal_target_1, 99

goal_type_2, 3
    goal_state_2, 0
    goal_visible_2, 1
    goal_loot_2, 25

goal_type_3, 4
    goal_state_3, 0
    goal_visible_3, 1
    goal_target_3, 50

Thank you for the responses thus far.
    Yandros, your solution for the Horn worked! That objective now works (and I didn't even need to make it irreversible to keep it that way). However for the loot objectives, everything already matches what you've outlined (its a loot type objective, its goal_loot instead of anything else, 25 is the total). To meet the requirement I've used two loot items: a stack of gold coins and a coin purse. Collecting them does not complete the objective.

Brethren, the horn is in a little box - specifically in the Object Hierarchy, it is physical > Container > MoneyBox, if that helps.
    The values you've outlined are already present in the mission quest data screen, for their respective objectives (though for the sake of clarity, the ID of the Horn is 14 and the ID of the escape room is 27). Would re-entering these manually help make them work?

I'm trying to work out if this is user error or an error with my tutorial. When I wrote it and tested it, the exact steps I wrote worked, but possibly I've worded something unclearly or made a typo or error somewhere? Reading through now, it all makes sense to me.

If the tutorial was followed exactly, the horn should be in a money box (section five: https://nickdablin.wordpress.com/201...f-2-part-five/) and this should work fine with a standard Steal objective (part six: https://nickdablin.wordpress.com/201...ef-2-part-six/).

Any Dromed experts got a few minutes to give those pages a read and see if I've got anything wrong or misleading in there?

Oh wow, the author's here.

Honestly Nick, your tutorial has been crystal clear and accurate and I've been following the instructions as closely as possible up until this point. Thats why I'm so baffled by this not working - everything else has run like clockwork.

Lets hope we can find out the cause of this issue, anyway. Probably an error on my part, though I can't find it.

Out of curiosity... do you have the VictoryCheck script on your starting point? Because without it, none of the automatic goal handling stuff will work.

Well, this is really awkward. I would've put good money down on the fact that I entered the VictoryCheck script on my starting point (as it was covered in the tutorial)... turns out I didn't?
    sigh.
    This is why I am not a gambling man. Objectives are now working fine, thank you Yandros for sussing it out!

Glad it was an easy fix anyway! And glad you're finding the tutorial helpful.

Yeah, its been fun using DromEd (I'm sure I'll change my mind on that soon enough) with the guidance of your tutorial.

I've got one more question, now. Is there a place on the site I can go to if I have a specific question about Dromed? Sure, there's tutorials which will provide general information, but if I've got very specific questions where can I ask about them? I imagine creating a thread every time something comes to mind isn't very efficient (or enjoyable for anyone :P)

Southquarter.com/fms
    This is the best place to ask. New threads are fine, but there's over 15 years of knowledge in the forums here, so try to do a search first. If you have a whole bunch of smaller questions, just make one thread for the lot of them. People around here are always glad to help.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokinath View Post
    I imagine creating a thread every time something comes to mind isn't very efficient (or enjoyable for anyone :P)
    That's the way you should do it - create a new thread. After checking the search function, of course.

Glad that was it, I should have thought to suggest it first off. And as the others said, new threads are fine but it's probably 98% likely that any question you need to ask has already been answered more than once here, so search for it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    That's the way you should do it - create a new thread. After checking the search function, of course.
    Unna is correct, though this makes it sound a bit relaxed. The way you should do it is first do a thorough search for threads discussing your topic. If you've searched thoroughly and can't find any info, then definitely start a new thread. If you find a thread discussing the topic you are looking for, but it doesn't cover exactly what you need about that topic, then post your question in that thread. We don't care about thread necromancy here. We'd rather keep things organized as much as we can, so rather than having dozens of threads about a topic, it's helpful to reuse relevant threads.

Thanks for the advice, folks. I'll scour the forums thoroughly before making a new thread with more random questions.
    For now though, I'm going to hunker down and get to work on my level.

Weirdly had the exact same problem while working through the tutorial. I thought it might be TOW's problem and tried it via Goalmaster instead, but it was just a forgotten VictoryCheck which I could have sworn I added when the tutorial mentioned it.