TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What new features would you like for the next NewDark update (Suggestions)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    NewDark uses DX9, actually, although it allows users to force it into DX6 mode. Also I wouldn't just assume that no one here has any experience with this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought NewDark uses DX9 to display things in modern resolutions and provide some post effects, but the engine itself wasn't re-written for DX9 (that would probably be a huge task anyway).

As for the experience, if you make models and textures mostly for Dromed, then yeah, you don't have much practice in that workflow, and that's fine. The curve is quite steep, but once you get the hang of things, its super-rewarding and a lot of fun IMO. I actually prefer making models and materials over level design.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    You may be right about that, I'm not sure. It's all pretty moot really as I agree that supporting normal and diffuse in Dark is pretty pointless since many of the stock and commonly used custom textures would look terrible if not completely redone.

That would be a tremendous effort to make _d, _s, _n materials for all the stock assets, I wouldn't dare ask anyone of that. And while I love all the shiny stuff, also I think limitations are good. I follow a couple of modeling forums, and all of them have lovely and thriving low-poly art section (and by low poly I mean like PlayStation1 stuff).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12