TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Xbox 360/One controller in T1/2?

Xbox 360/One controller in T1/2?

Is it possible to use an Xbox controller these days (with proper analog axes) with NewDark, without using extra software, or is it not really doable? Thanks!

Zombified
    try checking the NewDark documentation.

also, you don't really need a controller, just smash some of your fingers with a hammer and the game should be equally painful to control.

Hi molleh,

playing Thief with an XBoxOne - Controller on a PC is possible, I tried this out quite a year ago. I used JoyToKey as software.
    You only have to manually set the keyboard buttons to specific controller buttons, this may take a little time.
    In my personal experience, navigating around the world is fine if a clever control setup is used.

(From my personal point view, I favor the usage of mice and keyboard.)

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    try checking the NewDark documentation.

also, you don't really need a controller, just smash some of your fingers with a hammer and the game should be equally painful to control.
    In my experience with the right configuration, T1/2 is perfectly playable with a controller.

It's quite sad/unfortunate one of our community maintainers has to be of the condescending snarky ZB type. It's cringey and not becoming of someone in that position.

As for the topic, I imagine you likely have Steam installed, and if you don't it's a free download for some of the greatest controller customization software that's ever been made. It now natively supports the Xbox 360/One controller and you can map it to Thief's bindings however you so desire. With onscreen radial menus and mode-shifting you won't ever be running out of controls.

I personally use the Steam Controller and it's an effortless joy to play Thief with, controlling Garrett with all the same deft finesse, but with even more advantages, like an onscreen weapons touch menu, analog states on the joystick (although not true analog yet due to Thief not seeing xinput via Steam), gyro leaning (not my thing but it's there), mapping clear weapon and clear item to a single button, maps & objectives that toggle in on button press and toggle out on button release, equip-and-throw flashbomb in a single button press, and setting block to light trigger press and attack to full trigger press. And that's just scratching the surface of what's possible. The keyboard feels a bit dated and clunky to me now.
    Last edited by Abysmal; 24th Jun 2017 at 05:00.

Yes, the standard keyboard configuration for Thief 1/2 is really messy and full of disadvantages. In example, blocking the sword strike of an enemy is set to the space bar which is also for jumping. In result, the player can't jump while a sword is drawn. Setting the blocking action to another input (for my personal preference mouse 3) gives Garrett the ability to mantle while the sword is drawn. Garrett can now even prepare an overhead swing while mantling through a window for a quick surprise attack against hostile guards. Another example is the "next item/previous item" command which is set to + / - by default and rather hard to reach. Setting this to the mouse wheel allows for a more intuitive and quicker gameplay, speeding up the process of lockpicking. Another option is in setting up specific items to specific keyboard inputs, allowing Garrett to directly equip Garrett with a flash bomb or even a speed potion. Setting the movements to a classic WSAD-configuration and lean left/right to Q / E and leaning forward to TAB enhances gameplay even further. Thief has a great keyboard customization tool, use it wisely.

And now just imagine what is possible with an XBox/Steam controller and its software. Most people these days own a console and are familiar with controllers. Just by setting the main walking and mouse movements to the analog sticks, leaning left and right to L1/R1, the main attack to R2 (bow attack and sword blow), jumping to X and so on, it helps newcomers perfectly in getting familiar with Thief. It gives the feel of playing thief just like playing your avatar in classic console shooters. Playing Thief with a controller is really easy and intuitive!
    Last edited by Thinking Robot; 24th Jun 2017 at 06:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    It's quite sad/unfortunate one of our community maintainers has to be of the condescending snarky ZB type. It's cringey and not becoming of someone in that position.
    This is just something I've grown so incredible sick of seeing in the past several years, this idea that playing with a controller doesn't make you a "True PC Gamer" and controllers are for "filthy console peasants/casuals". Mouse and Keyboard is my main too but sometimes I want to just lean back with a controller. It's a snobbish attitude that really irritates me now. Yes, not all games are viable to be played with controllers, fast paced RTS games especially, but even so, one of the biggest advantages of PC gaming is having options on how you play your games. If someone wants to play StarCraft II using an Xbox Controller with a Joy2Key setup then let them.

Sorry I know I went on a soap box there, I just had to get it off my chest.

Don't worry, I've been playing everything I can with controller since my X360 days, FPS games included. Actually, I find it much better than using KB/M setup. Not only because it's much more comfortable for your hands; lack of jerky, sudden mouse movement and fluid cameraman-like controls let me play FPS games for longer without eye fatigue. So yeah, having proper X360 controller support in all Thief games would be awesome (and it's actually underway for DarkMod).

As for the topic, I imagine you likely have Steam installed, and if you don't it's a free download for some of the greatest controller customization software that's ever been made. It now natively supports the Xbox 360/One controller and you can map it to Thief's bindings however you so desire. With onscreen radial menus and mode-shifting you won't ever be running out of controls.
    Is this Steam controller mapping available only for games purchased in the Steam store or can I use it with my Thief CD versions as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Breast View Post
    Is this Steam controller mapping available only for games purchased in the Steam store or can I use it with my Thief CD versions as well?
    You can map it to non-Steam games that you have short cutted (Is that even a word?) on Steam itself. I do this with my CD version of Thief I and II and it works just fine, you just might not have access to community made bindings for that specific game, but then again I name the game "Must Have Been Rats" in my Steam library because I think I'm funny

Personally I think the Steam Controller works well for Thief mostly because the Thief games are fairly slow paced and don't really rely on twitch based precision, something that is difficult with the Steam Controller. If you tried to use it in something like a Quake game, then unless you are able to get really comfortable with it, it's probably not the best controller to use and you'd be better off with a Xbox controller if you wanted to play with a gamepad.
    Last edited by Buccura; 26th Jun 2017 at 23:13.

Why not use a XInput to Direct Input Wrapper? Thief supports DInput controllers and I think a wrapper is easier and more efficient than JoyToKey (different moving speeds etc.).

I've played Thief console style in front of my TV (3D vision plus 7.1 EAX sound is a great combination) and after some time getting used to it it was really good and comfortable. You only need a keyboard and mouse for menu operation (Esc key etc.). However, I had a controller with a switch for XInput and DInput.

Quote Originally Posted by Buccura View Post
    Personally I think the Steam Controller works well for Thief mostly because the Thief games are fairly slow paced and don't really rely on twitch based precision, something that is difficult with the Steam Controller. If you tried to use it in something like a Quake game, then unless you are able to get really comfortable with it, it's probably not the best controller to use and you'd be better off with a Xbox controller if you wanted to play with a gamepad.
    Uh what? The Steam Controller's trackpad was designed precisely to make up for the shortcomings of analog sticks for mouse movement (it's highly twitchy and very close to mouse precision, and people have used them competitively). An Xbox controller is in no way better for fast paced games, but would be okay for Thief.

Uh what? The Steam Controller's trackpad was designed precisely to make up for the shortcomings of analog sticks for mouse movement (it's highly twitchy and very close to mouse precision, and people have used them competitively). An Xbox controller is in no way better for fast paced games, but would be okay for Thief.
    That hasn't been my experience, for me pin point precision with the Steam Controller is actually quite difficult compared to just using a mouse or even an analog stick. Then again it could be because I have fidgety fingers.