TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Playing as a guard in Bafford's Manor (SFX + Schema modding)

Keyla the Otter

Playing as a guard in Bafford's Manor (SFX + Schema modding)

I managed to learn how Schemas work and which folders are responsible for doing what, so I managed to pull this off:

Debating on whether or not I should also change the Thief mission-specific quotes such as "Inside at last..." or "Since I'm in here, I might as well pick up something for myself." Maybe! It's a lot of work and I'll have to remember to remove it when playing fan levels but what are your thoughts on what I'm doing so far?

I'm thinking of recording Thief Gold from start to finish with this new guard voice mod I made. Should I do it with or without commentary of my own?

EDIT: Also, please excuse the temporary darkness in the video, Youtube is currently processing an edit to make it brighter for you guys.

New video! This time with a better demonstration of the mod, even includes bow and arrow taunts!

Last edited by Ryan Smith; 21st Jun 2017 at 02:38.

Is this similar to A Guard Called Benny?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    No, in that FM you actually play as a guard trying to thwart AI thieves. In these videos, the player's grunts and barks have just been replaced with those of a guard.

I remember the FM but I didn't remember if the player schema was changed or not.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I don't remember for certain but I think the player schemas were modified to make you sound like Benny. My main point was that this mod doesn't seem to modify gameplay, only sounds.

Keyla the Otter
    Yandros is exactly right, all I did was change the sounds and the schemas. Sadly, this means I have to run the game through DromEd now in order to get the reload_schemas command to work

I don't know about schemas but I have changed sounds in T2 just by replacing the original wavs with ones with the same name but different content.

Eavesdropping has a very lengthy section where you just listen behind the door. When trying to Iron Man the mission and taking several attempts, it quickly got very old having to sit and twiddle my thumbs for the same six minutes of audio files to complete. So I just copied the bird-flute sounds from Interference into a folder, and gave them the names of the original wavs that make up that eavesdropping section. Since this folder had already been added to modpaths they overrode the original wavs. And from then on I only heard half a minute of bird calls while at the door

Was also tempted to replace all of Karras's prattling in Soulforge with Burrick burps, because apart from anything else, it is too loud and can drown out nearby enemies. But I left it.
    Last edited by Cigam; 23rd Jun 2017 at 15:13.

Keyla the Otter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    I don't know about schemas but I have changed sounds in T2 just by replacing the original wavs with ones with the same name but different content.

Eavesdropping has a very lengthy section where you just listen behind the door. When trying to Iron Man the mission and taking several attempts, it quickly got very old having to sit and twiddle my thumbs for the same six minuted of audio files to complete. So I just copied the bird-flute sounds from Interference into a folder, and gave them the names of the original wavs that make up that eavesdropping section. Since this folder had already been added to modpaths they overrode the original wavs. And from then on I only heard half a minute of bird calls while at the door

Was also tempted to replace all of Karras's prattling in Soulforge with Burrick burps, because apart from anything else, it is too loud and can drown out nearby enemies. But I left it.
    Instead, you could replace Karras's prattling with an angry man gibbering on a phone, like you hear in cartoons

This would work well with the Upside Down. Love that FM.

Keyla the Otter
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    This would work well with the Upside Down. Love that FM.
    I know exactly what you mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post

Eavesdropping has a very lengthy section where you just listen behind the door. When trying to Iron Man the mission and taking several attempts, it quickly got very old having to sit and twiddle my thumbs for the same six minutes of audio files to complete. So I just copied the bird-flute sounds from Interference into a folder, and gave them the names of the original wavs that make up that eavesdropping section. Since this folder had already been added to modpaths they overrode the original wavs. And from then on I only heard half a minute of bird calls while at the door

You could have gone exploring while the Karras/Truart event was taking place. Since it's not a conversation I don't think it would stop if you got too far away. Btw without the wavs you would have to check every key until you got the right one which might be more trouble than listening to the original wavs.

You can't go very far during the convo in Eavesdropping. You can't go anywhere at all in fact. It fails the mission.

Replacing Karras's lines with burrick burps is a hilarious idea though
    Last edited by marbleman; 26th Jun 2017 at 09:34.

john9818a, yes the objective fails if you move away so it really was a case of sitting and twiddling my thumbs.

The section is made up of several files that always play then the key location one is chosen seemingly at random from several possible lines. After which there is one more 'Friends we are adjourned' line. The last two still play as normal.

Maybe I will replace those bird calls next time and turn the meeting into a meeting of burricks

Or replace it with the conversation from Life of the Party.

Keyla the Otter
    UPDATE:

Got loot-grabbing quotes working!

*steals a gold urn* "Wassat?"
    *Steals a green vase* "Hey...look what we've got here!"

For those of you who tinker with schemas, what I do is take the neutral 'non-quoted' loot sound and duplicate it a bunch of times so that your ears aren't ringing like a gong listening to 5 voices at once.

Makes me wonder how the community would respond if Garrett had a vocalizations. I didn't know, unless it was a coincidence, that the player could have bow specific taunts like in your video. Maybe Garrett saying softly, perhaps a whisper; "fly true".