TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Post-Brexit Eurovision 2017

Still Subjective

Post-Brexit Eurovision 2017

Here we are again.

Disappointing turn out this year. The semi-finals are on and it's been pretty poor this year. Bulgaria and Hungary at least sound okay. Hungary is quite interesting until he starts rapping.

I'm not liking this continued Australia inclusion though, especially as their song is rubbish.

There's no one bonkers though. Disappointing!

Post-Brexit the UK is highly likely to be completely blatted in the final.

I think the Netherlands have a decent song this year. Despite anyone's personal opinion of the song itself, the ladies hit every note on key, which cannot be said about a lot of the other countries' singers, even some that went through to the finals.

I also liked Denmark's weird electronic song and Estonia's ballad.

About bonkers songs, that one in the first final sung by the guy with the long pony tail was the most bonkers. As a side note, I don't like when a song wins just because it's bonkers.

I also really like the visual effects on the video walls and floor. Reminds me of earlier times, when I watched a lot of demo scene stuff.

Isn't everything being a little shit except a few meh ok highlights the actual vision for Euro this year though?

Happy rocking while it lasts, at least.
    I know TTLG has followed this thing as long as I can remember.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh shit, I forgot it was that time of year agian, thanks for pointing it out SubJeff. Will definitely tune in to the Final tomorrow night.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Don't they have child-labor laws in Australia? Why have they sent this TINY BOY???

Best so far: Armenia and Denmark.

I was mistaken, the weird electronic song is from Norway. It's not going to win, but I like it.

David Guetta should sue for plagiarism, re: Germany.

Level 10,000 achieved
    ROMANIA IS YODELING

And y'know what? It's working for me. One of the best entries yet.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Another TINY BOY from Bulgaria. What is up with all these TINY BOYS???

Sweden was great. Generic, but great. Unless France serves up something amazing, Sweden is getting my vote.

If SubJeff is right and the UK will do badly in the results, you guys can at least be proud that your girl gave one of the strongest vocal performances tonight. She was spot on!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh my god I can't believe fucking Portugal is winning. From the moment I laid eyes on that precious idiot with the suit one size too big it felt like a calculated deceit, and Europe is happily getting duped by this CONMAN! Fuck this, I'm going to bed.
    Last edited by henke; 13th May 2017 at 19:07.

Still Subjective
    What a crap whinner.

Yes Portugal won!

LittleFlower
    If I wanted to listen to slow music with an acoustic guitar, then I'd rather listen to Johnny Thunders all day.

Whole album.

Mehhhh...

So in the last few years we've had Austria winning by tugging on LGBT heartstrings, the Ukraine winning by tugging on anti-Russian heartstrings and now Portugal winning by tugging on actual heart heartstrings... Of those, only Austria really deserved to win on its own merits, in my opinion. I mean, it really is sad that Salvador has a heart condition and I hope all ends well for him, but I doubt he would have won on his own merits, if not for 1. his sister singing instead of him during one rehearsal because he was ill, 2. him wearing an SOS Refugees T-shirt and 3. him having a serious heart condition. Worst of all, both the professional juries (for what they are worth) and the popular vote placed him in the first place, so I can't even bitch about that.

Anyway, here are my favorites, the first 3 in that order, the rest in no particular order:

1. Hungarian Gypsy guy. I liked the rapping in the middle a bit less, but overall found the tune quite catchy AND it was sung in his own language.

2. Italian Karma guy. Also quite catchy and also in his own language. Only negative point being the lack of an actual gorilla!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rafsdrfRM4o

3. Bulgarian boy who barely speaks Bulgarian, from a Kazakh mother and Bulgarian father, grown up in Russia. Might even have been my favorite, if not for the fact that I'm Bulgarian and don't want to appear biased, as well as the fact that he sang in English and not Bulgarian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMmm-G078LM

4. Square Croatian guy with two voices! Now that's some impressive range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkP0xw_i_Ho

5. EPIC SAX GUY PART 2!!! (Here's part 1, sax guy at 1:22)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prqZ8MSAPh4

6. Belgian girl with quite good voice + electro pop. Her voice was too quiet compared to the music though, same as 1-2 other entries in the final, IIRC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SznlioGhq2k

7. France. Bonus points for the song being (mostly) in French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoJB05spcY

8. Greece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVrlEB1bN3w

On the whole, quite a lot of good or at least decent songs, especially compared to the last 2 years. And even though I disagree with Portugal winning the contest, at least their song was in their own language, so at least there's hope more countries will emulate them next time. Oh, and I didn't really like the Australian song, unfortunately. The best I can say is that it was better than Spain's and maybe Germany's. Still, hopefully we'll see you guys next year again.

[EDIT]Why can't I embed 8 videos?
    Last edited by dj_ivocha; 14th May 2017 at 20:49.

Anything with Epic Sax Guy in it cant be all bad

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_ivocha View Post
    I mean, it really is sad that Salvador has a heart condition and I hope all ends well for him
    They guy has a heart condition? Now I feel bad for calling him a conman.

My vote went to Sweden's glitzy pop act.

Also liked Norway, the quiet girl from Belgium, the yodeling Romanians, and "Gravity" by Hovig(forgot which country). These 5 will stay on my Spotify playlists for a while.

Keyla the Otter
    I know this is a moot point and a dumb question by now but can't we all just get along? Eurovision was meant to unite people and cultures of all kinds across Europe through music and introduce a large audience to new, unheard of, and interesting songs and languages. Yes, it's gotten pretty political with things like neighbor voting, EU affairs and Brexit, but it shouldn't take away from the music itself as it has for so many people.

It's bad enough that the contestants have to deal with mixed opinions and mixed PR every day, and then I see people on various forums and discussions posting crap about which countries suck and which ones shouldn't have won. All right Mr. Music Critic, you try running a band and landing a gig on Eurovision as a contestant. Be prepared to take criticism as cheerfully as you can give it. Few people can take the sheer amount of crap that these contestants get every day, mostly from people who think they know a lot about music and what goes into a live performance.

That being said, I have my favorites, and there are songs I prefer more than others, but anyone who appears on Eurovision at all deserves some kudos for actually making it into the contest to begin with. The responsibility of representing an entire nation is HUGE. Back in high school, I couldn't even handle being the announcer of the school's talent show, imagine having stage-fright on live TV.

Also, having been a sound engineer by trade, and having dabbled in music myself, I can tell you it's not an easy art to master. Knowing this only makes me appreciate a good song when I hear it even more. Why couldn't we be as supportive as we were during the voting results of 1995. Remember when Germany got that 1 point and everybody was cheering for them? It's that kind of spirit that I miss.