TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Terrible Treks

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Since when has anything Seth McFarlane made been good for anything other than watching for easy laughs? ?
    Plenty of Family Guy is really funny.

Maybe... you don't get it?

The first TED movie is excellent. The sequel not so much.

ZylonBane
    Everything I read about it said it was a sustained rehash of Family Guy jokes.

I guess that would work for people who don't watch Family Guy.

Which would be me. I watched the spinoff a few times. That was hilarious.

Still Subjective
    There are bits of TED that are outright amazing.

It's worth if just for those, and no, they aren't FG jokes.

I'll give Discovery a chance, but I'm still skeptical about it. I'm glad the cast is diverse, that was an important part of Star Trek, but my worry is that it will be all that Discovery has going for it.

Administrator
    Ok - I was avoiding The Orville based on the trailer but after a recommendation I gave it a shot. It's not perfect but it's far better than I expected. The humour is overdone at times and misses the mark more often than not but it doesn't take away from the serious moments. As such, the show isn't afraid to tackle some pretty contentious issues, particularly after the first couple of episodes.

Discovery is good too but is currently suffering from what appears to be a Netflix need to tell superhero stories that only make sense over a complete series. By contrast it's refreshing to have a series that you can enjoy episode by episode and still look forward to what happens next.

I'm liking Discovery so far but I worry that it might end up on the wrong side of the Mary Sue spectrum.

But they can say "fuck" now, that means it's better right?

Amusingly, the parody/spoof is much closer to Roddenberry's idealist federation than the branded star trek show. Discovery might have been better if it didn't shackle itself to the Trek brand.

Actually, calling Orville a parody/spoof seems more inappropriate. It's closer to an actual sci-fi trekky type show, with added jokes.
    Last edited by DaBeast; 1st Nov 2017 at 09:50.

DIGGING Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBeast View Post
    Amusingly, the parody/spoof is much closer to Roddenberry's idealist federation than the branded star trek show. Discovery might have been better if it didn't shackle itself to the Trek brand.

Actually, calling Orville a parody/spoof seems more inappropriate. It's closer to an actual sci-fi trekky type show, with added jokes.
    This! Every episode of The Orville is self-contained and tackles interesting issues, while managing to be both light-hearted and serious as needed. Some jokes are a bit hamfisted or trying too hard, but overall they make the show better.

Now, BattleStar GalacticaTrek, uh I mean, STD... while I do watch it (because I can never get enough Sci-Fi on TV) I'm decidedly ambivalent towards it. If I wanted Serious Business™ and Grittiness™, I'd watch some original property show on Netflix, or Arrow or Daredevil (all of which I do, but that's another story). The only thing it has over The Orville is the transporter.

I'm diggin it. Feels very "trek" to me. The Klingons suck. Rest is completely fine. This weeks episode was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I'm diggin it. Feels very "trek" to me. The Klingons suck. Rest is completely fine. This weeks episode was excellent.
    I agree, this week's episode was actually the first one that I got excited to see and it did not disappoint. But yeah I still don't like the Klingons though.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_ivocha View Post
    This! Every episode of The Orville is self-contained and tackles interesting issues, while managing to be both light-hearted and serious as needed. Some jokes are a bit hamfisted or trying too hard, but overall they make the show better.

Now, BattleStar GalacticaTrek, uh I mean, STD... while I do watch it (because I can never get enough Sci-Fi on TV) I'm decidedly ambivalent towards it. If I wanted Serious Business™ and Grittiness™, I'd watch some original property show on Netflix, or Arrow or Daredevil (all of which I do, but that's another story). The only thing it has over The Orville is the transporter.
    Orville seems much lower on the budget, with Macfarlane's actor friends doing him a favour with the odd appearance. They seem to be kind of setting the show around the similar level of technology as TOS Star Trek, with lots of low tech space science coupled with low tech sets and effects. Feels a bit red dwarf too.

(watched an episode that was directed by Johnathan Frakes )

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    It's strange given the lavish visual effects how the Klingons could look so awful. Like, they make the Wraith from SGA seem downright classy.

They don't look like the Abrams Klingons either. I wonder if this is because of budgeting or if they developed the skins/prosthetics to be more rugged and/or easier to apply considering extended shooting over a whole season of a show.

Either way, they look a bit silly.

Also, The Expanse is the best thing to happen to Sci-fi in 10 years.

Its weird in that they stuck to the established look on all the other races, and yet deviated so much with only the Klingon's.

I should note that plot wise the shows starting to go like Abrams's movies. Mudd of Discovery is quite different to his TOS incarnation.

The TOS incarnation of him was of a playful conman.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I think Ep. 7 of Discovery, the one where they're stuck in a time-loop, was the best one yet. Rainn Wilson's portrayal of Mudd is very entertaining and time-loops are always fun(Edge of Tomorrow, Groundhog Day, the Redemial Chaos Theory episode of Community).

Time loops have been great in every show that I've seen them used in. Xena had a particulary good one. SG-1 was another.

very happy with STD (no Renz did not give me that one), sad the season is about to end.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I think Ep. 7 of Discovery, the one where they're stuck in a time-loop, was the best one yet.
    I agree. And interestingly it was the first episode that didn't further the over-arching story. Kind of a monster-of-the-week if you will. It seemed to me as if the actors suddenly were let loose and allowed to play. Very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    I agree. And interestingly it was the first episode that didn't further the over-arching story. Kind of a monster-of-the-week if you will. It seemed to me as if the actors suddenly were let loose and allowed to play. Very entertaining.
    Seconded (or rather thirded). The 7th episode balanced tension and humor quite well, the pacing culminated in a nice crescendo, and the dynamic between Burnham, Tyler and Stamets felt quite realistic, even the emotional development wasn't too awkward. The only thing that I didn't really like was that weird weapon/device that was supposed to terminate the victim in a bout of most excruciating pain imaginable, which I think neither Tyler nor Burnham showed too well. But overall, this felt like the most 'Trekky' episode of the whole season, likely due to holding together pretty well on its own.

As for The Orville, I just wish that MacFarlane would do away with the poor attempts at humor altogether and stop pretending he's trying to make a Star Trek parody. Most of the dick jokes and the would-be funny banter on the bridge are just cringeworthy. Aside from this, it'd make an excellent addition to the later ST series, sort of a Voyager/DS9 crossover. They could even keep the new races (maybe make Isaac look like an artificial life form that is actually superior to humans and not like some weird B-rated sci-fi prop). The writers actually put a decent amount of thought into making the Krill a fully fleshed-out race with their own mythology, world view and ethics, particularly when compared to the two-dimensional Klingons of STDisco.

Sure is a bag of plot holes with Discovery to TOS and the later shows. Their FTL drive for example never featured in TOS or the later shows. Hell if they'd had that in Voyager then the show would have been over after the pilot.

"Janeway: We're lost on the other side of the Delta Quadrant"
    "Tuvoc: Not anymore we're not"

*Roll credits*
    Last edited by icemann; 10th Nov 2017 at 06:34.

Probably: By the end of the show the midichlorians (or whatever they are called) will be pissed off or harmed to the point on rendering the transportation method unusable. No problem.

Or a giant chlorine cloud kills of all the fungus.

Or the Klingon's find some way to kill em off permanently.

Unless the new series is aiming to wreck nearly all of FTL/warp travel canon, the spore drive will eventually be abandoned for either of the following reasons:
    - using the mycelia for FTL travel depletes the entire macroorganism and it'll die off
    - using the spore drive has some irreversible and/or life-threatening consequences on the navigator (Stamets); this is my favorite theory as it has been shown before with the tardigrade, and Stamets is already acting weird
    - accidental destruction (unintended) due to conflict with the Klingons
    - the Federation destroys or incapacitates the spore drive travel on purpose to prevent Klingons from using it (in combination with the now-popular cloaking technology, the Klingons could penetrate deep into Federation space and threaten its very existence)
    - same as above, only it's Burnham who destroys the mycelia on purpose, in defiance of direct orders (again), but as it shows up later, she has prevented the Klingons from using the spore drive to attack Earth en masse, thus redeeming herself and receiving clemency