TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Farewell, Steam Greenlight. Hello, Steam Direct.

I know I got a lot there. I don't know how serious they are about that, though; they don't ask about it in the submission form, like they do about microtransactions. It's basically just description, video, and optional media (screenies, website).

I'd imagine it's more about "don't just copy all of someone else's work, or build your entire game out of the same old stock assets."

I got most of mine from there. Others I got from Stephen Shultz free sound program. Others I just made myself with a microphone.

Honestly i think it's a more of a detterant to asset flips than legitimate use. If your game is good and the assets legal and well used, it probably won't be an issue. I used tons of stock assets and while they refused my games I never got the impression it was due to them. Their feedback hasn't made any reference to it. I wouldn't worry about it Pyrian.

Oh, you got feedback from them? What was that like? Was it just based on the trailer and media, like the submission form? Or did they try the actual game? Anyway, yeah, I'll try them when the time comes.

I sent the game keys and got the feel they checked it out. They seemed pretty nice but court and to the point. Initial response didn't say much so I asked what was it specifically and they elaborated. Always good feedback.

Suprised they would have knocked back Karaski, that was a good game.

Bipolar Game was rejected as well for GOG. Made a submission around the same time I went and tried with Greenlight.

Was told the quality (graphically) was not up to the standards of site. Kind of a hypocritical viewpoint considering the retro content they host.

Level 10,000 achieved

Update!

Wanna get yer game on Steam? That'll be a COOL HUNDO!

Steam Direct fee announcement

There were rational & convincing arguments made for both ends of the $100-$5000 spectrum we mentioned. Our internal thinking beforehand had us hovering around the $500 mark, but the community conversation really challenged us to justify why the fee wasn't as low as possible, and to think about what we could do to make a low fee work.

So in the end, we've decided we're going to aim for the lowest barrier to developers as possible, with a $100 recoupable publishing fee per game, while at the same time work on features designed to help the Store algorithm become better at helping you sift through games.
    Ars Technica posted this about the recoupable fee:

A Valve representative tells us "we plan to return the $100 fee after a game hits $1000 in sales."
    Last edited by henke; 4th Jun 2017 at 13:53.

Hmm... if they plan on returning the fee, I honestly wouldn't have minded it being $500. Mere hundred won't do much. Case in point - steam greenlight...

Greenlight was a one-time fee, though, right? Pay once, throw up a hundred asset flips?

Chakat sex pillow
    Yup. It's $100 per, now.

And as Jim Sterling points out in this video, scumbags would not care if it was $1000 per game to get utter shite onto Steam. What is needed is a way to make sure it's not in any way profitable to make Steam Trading Card Farms.

Apparently the blow has fallen; Greenlight is over.

But muh asset flips