TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Rain World

Level 10,000 achieved

Rain World

Rain World came out in March, to scattered reviews. My 2 favourite gaming sites, RPS and Polygon, were rather down on it, so I didn't pay it much attention. But I did pick it up in the current Adult Swim Bundle and I'm glad I did. I can certainly see why a lot of people wouldn't take to it, it's an often very frustrating and extremely punishing game. It's systems are obscured and you'll have to figure it all out on your own. How to survive, how the other creatures in the world behave, how to make progress, and even what the hell it is you're supposed to be doing. I love that kinda stuff, I also love heavily-physics-based movement, and the complex AI systems at work here. More than anything, this reminds me of Exanima.

I'm 4 hours in and on my 3rd "region". Here's some video from my adventures so far, tho if you're already sold on this and know you're gonna play it at some point, don't watch. Like in other games of this type, the world and it's inhabitants itself are a spoiler. Best to go in blind.

If, like me, you're on the fence about this, pick it up in the Adult Swim bundle! You'll also get Glittermitten Grove in the top-tier. Don't know what Glittermitten Grove is? Perfect! Don't read anything about it, just get it and play it! You might have to play it for a little bit before you get to the part where it gets really interesting tho. I start it up last night without any guidance and it took me around an hour before I got to the good part.

verbose douchebag
    Just got the bundle. Already had Rainworld - PM me for a Steam key

Chakat sex pillow
    I wouldn't mind getting in on that. PM'd.

I suppose the game does not actually feature ELO.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh. No.

It's very minimalist in it's soundtrack actually.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I just kept dying in the Garbage Wastes and couldn't make any progress so I went back to the Outskirts. Instead of dying over and over in the difficult part of the game I'm dying over and over in the easy part. Progress? Why do I keep playing this? It's just making me depressed and terrified. There are things in the Garbage Wastes. Unspeakable things.

Ohhh that thing was on my radar and rather quickly fell off. Definitely grabbing it, thanks for reminding me.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Just got the bundle. Already had Rainworld - PM me for a Steam key
    Hell yeah, I'll take...

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I wouldn't mind getting in on that. PM'd.
    DAMNIT!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Now guess what this game wants me to do!

Go into this dark ass place, with nothing but a stick and a glowy thing that ain't doin shit.

There are spiders in here.

I'm not going.

No way, no how.

Level 10,000 achieved
    BUT THEN HE WENT ANYWAY

This was my second attempt at this area actually, which is why it kinda looks like I know what I'm doing.

Level 10,000 achieved
    This also happened.