TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Administrator
    Came across Travelers on Netflix and really enjoyed it (or at least the first season). It's not been as heavily promoted as some of the other Netflix original series and doesn't appear to have the budget of them either. Instead, the show is very tightly focused on the group of main characters both in their own right and as a team working together but with a light science fiction basis. Although the plot could be loosely summarised as "team must do missions to avoid future disasters" that does it a disservice, particularly when compared to other shows (e.g. Continuum) that started well but fizzled out quickly. Definitely recommended as some (mostly) light entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    nah it was awesome, i hope it stays like this for a while
    Yeah, all 5 episodes were awesome.

In this feel good rom-com, I caught 5. How many did you catch?

Chakat sex pillow

what have I watched lately? well

I was in another traffic log-jam and had no choice but to watch people on the road, bikes weaving in and out of standing traffic, pedestrians sidling along the walls because we have plenty of road but never enough pavement. There's a problem with living out in the sticks-but-not-quite: you get all the traffic of the city proper, and none of the amenities. Also, there are many feral animals -- strays. The occasional cat bounding across the tar to escape something, dogs lolling under cars to get away from the sun, and families of what at first appear to be wild boars, but are really just exceptionally hairy pigs dunking themselves in puddles of water sloshed into ditches from trains of passing water tankers.

I love processed pork, let it be known -- ham, pepperoni, bacon, mortadella, sausage -- but I hate these particular pigs and how populous they are. I can't explain it, they're just gross and innumerable and I want them gone. Every now and then there's a carcass on the side of the road and I give it a grim salute in my head, thanking it for having the good grace to lighten the world a little bit by being egalitarian enough to get run over in place of someone or something else. There's an economy to life and death, and as long as the scales tip towards the disposable being disposed, so be it, you know?

So, the day of the traffic jam. There was this momma pig that trotted across the road, no doubt all too used to the vagaries of human locomotion -- a bonafide expert even, so deftly did she navigate the stream of honking vehicles. The two piglets that were following her, however, weren't as skilled. The first one was a waddling chunk of bristly grey-black, and the second was streaked and spotted like a deer, but uglier; think a paler, fatter, less cute Bambi with a belly close to the ground. Charcoal piglet was all one step forward and two steps back, and was leading his sibling on when he failed to see a huge 4x4 barrelling down the road in front of him. Luck prevailed, and he narrowly missed getting himself a tyre track tattoo by being just enough ahead that he grazed the car's undercarriage as it drove past.

Bambi piglet? Not so lucky. In imitating its sibling and doing the forward-backward dance whilst skittering onward, it careened right under the car's front tyre. I watched the (admittedly impressive) suspension adjust like it was negotiating a tiny screaming speed bump, with just a bit of a bounce as it went right over the small body, once with the front tyre, and once more with the rear. You could almost imagine the sound of little bones cracking.

'Well, that's that', I thought to myself. The traffic hadn't moved much, and now there was a flattened corpse on the road we had to inch past. Yet another sacrifice to whatever our local god of Vehicular Misfortune was. But then something ridiculous happened: the corpse rose up and zoomed across the road, faster than anything could rightfully zoom whilst trailing a useless hind leg behind it. It rejoined its unconcerned mother on the other side, and disappeared from sight as the traffic cleared up.

Miracles don't often make sense. You hope that when you see someone oblivious at a platform get smacked by a train and go under, that they won't be a bisected mess of anatomy strewn across the tracks once the train's stopped. The economy of miracles is egalitarian enough, I suppose, that if one doesn't get granted to the random human being in one city, it might as well make it up to the random apparently dead piglet in another.

Such is life.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 8th Jun 2017 at 15:42. Reason: XOXO

I just watched most of The Expanse. Here's my review: it's fucking excellent. BSG meets Roger Rabbit.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yep, complete with its own fatal Dip analogue, and maybe a little bit more sex than Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I'd say anyone else looking for good science fiction needs to watch it too. Just don't get put off by the slow pace and worldbuilding of the first season, because it pays dividends in the second.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I watched the last ep of Expanse season 1 the other day. It's not doing it for me, but I can't find anything else to watch either. :/ I should get HBO Nordic and watch Twin Peaks, Fargo S3 and True Detective.

Also, good story, Sulph.

Moderator and Priest
    I suggest giving The Expanse another chance, Henke. Watch the first 4 episodes of Season 2. If you still haven't taken to it by then, then it ain't your thing.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    and True Detective.
    Please pretend that Season Two does not exist.

Moderator and Priest
    What Brethren said. If you watch it, just act like the show is an 8 episode self contained story, then shelve it with a smile when you're done.

Just watched "An American Werewolf in London" (1981).

Overall an excellent horror movie. Really great creature effects. Was surprised at the amount of well known music in it. And directed by John Landis of the "Thriller" music video by Michael Jackson back in the 80s. Dayam.

8/10.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I watched the last ep of Expanse season 1 the other day. It's not doing it for me, but I can't find anything else to watch either. :/ I should get HBO Nordic and watch Twin Peaks, Fargo S3 and True Detective.

Also, good story, Sulph.
    Thanks, man. Also to chime in with everyone else, S1 of True Detective's pretty damn good.

BANNED
    The last movie I watched was "O don't feel like home in this world anymore" (on Netflix). Great plot, drama with comedy elements. Do recommend.

Chakat sex pillow
    Okay, so Better Call Saul's long, slow burn finally paid off -- by making me want to punch Jimmy in the face until it's not recognisable any more. You do not make such calculated use of a poor, defenseless old lady and ostracise her from her friends because you're a selfish jagoff. I've also been dreading Kim's fate since the show began, as she's one of the most likeable characters on it and we know she never shows up in Breaking Bad. This episode did the early setup of subtle, unsettling framing and distant shots to foreshadow bad things, and it looks like those have come to pass.

^ I bounced off S2 of Better Caul Saul but was expecting a tragic end for Kim. She's too nice, and the romance had to end, well, tragically...

Me, I started on Season 5 of Orange is the New Black and lord, it delivers. One of the best seasons so far. Also I like how it started being all about Piper, the super-spoiled white woman in prison, only to have her slowly become an almost unimportant side character, giving way to all the others. There really is no single protagonist, and the writers made a good job of creating interesting and interweaving stories for most of the cast. Hats off.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, I didn't really spoil what happens, but maybe I'm pre-emptively doing that now.

Anyway, I still haven't gotten over Jimmy's underhanded manipulation of Irene, the sweetest old lady whose only crime was not questioning whether people like Jimmy McGill were trying to use her. The woman playing her would probably remind you of your own grandmother too. Her performance broke my goddamn heart.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    This episode did the early setup of subtle, unsettling framing and distant shots to foreshadow bad things, and it looks like those have come to pass.
    The setup is there for her downfall, but it isn't quite there yet. She's running herself ragged, taking on far too much than she can handle on her own. But that's mostly her own doing, and she isn't currently involved in anything she can't easily take a step back from. Whatever horrible thing is bound to happen to her has to be done at Jimmy's hands.

Though considering what he did to that poor old woman, we have now seen Jimmy's first step towards becoming Saul Goodman. It's gonna happen sooner rather than later.

Chakat sex pillow
    I know, I was just trying to be intentionally obscure about that because, you know, spoilery stuff.

Over the past few weeks me and the fiance have been going through "Are You The One?". As far as reality dating shows go, I quite like this one due to the money aspect of them potentially getting a million dollars (split across the 10 couples) if they all work out who their "perfect match" is. Creates a fair bit of chaos, as there is always at least 1-2 people who refuse to stop spending time with confirmed non-matches, potentially risking the money.

So part dating show, part game show. Nice change of pace. Next to watch (since we finished watching all 5 seasons of it) is the spin off "Are You The One - Second Chances", which is even more game show than the original show. That one takes confirmed matches from the 5 seasons of the show and pits them against each other. Sounds interesting.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I watched Oh Hello, on Broadway (on Netflix)

"I hate to be the first to say it, but New York has changed! Remember how it used to be in the 70's?"

*rock music kicks in*

"Late 1970's, New York is a bankrupt, crime-ridden mess, and it is awesome! Tires roll down the street on fire, and inside those tires? Babies with knives!"

It's a bit uneven, and the celebrity guest bit drags it down a bit, but there's plenty of solid jokes in there if you're in the mood for some KROLLCOMM. I give it 4 Netflix stars out of 5.

Chakat sex pillow
    ^^ pretty neat, but I hope it doesn't actually end on an ellipsis and the next bit's a completely different thing. Or was that the point, as a sort of proof of concept and crowd-fund model that picks which bit gets expanded upon into a full story?

Or was that the point, as a sort of proof of concept and crowd-fund model that picks which bit gets expanded upon into a full story?
    I believe so.

The clip I linked isn't cohesive enough to stand on its own even as a short movie (who are the angels, for example?), so I wouldn't expect more than that at this point. Will obviously be interesting to see which proof of concept they'll pick up on and expand into a full blown film.

Chakat sex pillow
    Gotcha. From what I saw of the first trailer, I guess there's at least two more concepts to show. Rakka was fine, but is essentially District 10. Not a bad thing, but I'm intrigued about the bit with the telekinetic walking guide to human anatomy.

Just watched the 8th episode of season 3 of Twin Peaks and WHAT THE FUCK.

The first quarter-ish of this, business as usual. Even has an unexpected awesome cameo by the Nine Inch Nails, and then everything goes full on disturbing weird from then on. I've long since been desensitized to horror / weird stuff in movies and tv but this stuff freaked me out. For most of it I was sitting there going WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON? If I'd seen this episode as a kid I'd have had nightmares for months.

What little sense I think I can make of it is a nuclear test in 1945 gave birth to that evil spirit/demon thing that was in seasons 1 & 2 + now in the doppleganger Cooper, so the black lodge created Laura Palmer for some unknown reason due to that. Even that makes little sense to me, and the rest of what was going on I have no fucking idea. That is the weirdest shit I've seen in a VERY long time. The gorefest at the end just topped it off.

And now due to it being super late I'm off to bed. Not the best thing to do after watching that.

Gahhhhh. Don't watch this one before going to bed.
    Last edited by icemann; 26th Jun 2017 at 15:10.

Page 148 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4898103108113118123128133138143144145146147148149150151152 LastLast