TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 232833384348535863686970717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 1900

Thread: What are you making?

Well, that should teach you. No pizza, no sandwich? No impressions.

Seriously, though, I liked the video, but I only watched it very quickly at work, without sound. Will make sure to watch it again and give you some feedback. Two immediate reactions I had: 1) the trailer and especially the captions gave me the impression that the game is a combination of Papers, Please and Westport Independent - is there any way you can stress what makes this unique a bit more?, and 2) those little armoured troopers looked like they were out of a different game, aesthetically.

Moderator and Priest
    I'll admit. I didn't initially comment on Yak's video because it wasn't food.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's a good trailer, Yak. The music you've used is great, and it works in concert with the visuals to make me say, 'I wanna see where this is going' at the end.

Here's a bit of update on my progress and plans:

HEADLINER Exhibit at iFest and Release Plans

My next experimental adventure game about controlling the news, swaying public opinion and impacting your family, had its first public showing.

Continue Reading ->

Level 10,000 achieved
    Can't embedd this coz it's a twitter video, but it's about what it's like releasing a game as a solo dev and it made me laugh.

https://twitter.com/ParadigmGame/sta...90061823303685

Heh. I just put "by Michael J. Callahan" and then note any other roles.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I MAKE DOT GOBBLER

Moderator and Priest
    That manages to be both awesome and horrific at the same time.

The music gives that extra special touch of horrifyingness

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks! The Idle Thumbs community loves them a good DOT GOBBLER, so I made the vid to advertise my 3D modelling skills for the new Wizard Jam, starting today. I'm gonna be modelling some Toads and Goombas for a game!

Gotta admit, I'd be kinda curious to see your VR version of a Pacman-style ghost.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Mmmmm! That's a good suggestion. I'll have to remember to try that.

Trying out some literally hand-painted watercolor sprites:

Really puts the "sheet" in "sprite sheet".

Moderator and Priest
    Okay, that's kind of awesome, Pyrian.

yea I saw your post on FB, looks real nice!

For anyone working on a webgame and considering publishing it as a standalone title, I wrote a little article on how to streamline the process.

Streamlining Development of WebGame as Standalone With Phaser and NWJS

Developing an HTML5 and JS game as a standalone application can be a murky process. Here’s how to set yourself up right and make the testing and building fairly painless.

Read More ->

As the project grew, it exceeded my initial estimates...
    Don't they always? Glade Raid would've been out the door a year and a half ago if I'd just decided to live with it looking terrible. Do you regret making Headliner a webgame in the first place?

Thanks for the encouragement on the painting! I've got the painted overmap sprites in-game now. Here's the old version followed by the new version:

I dunno. It has more character for sure, but it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement, to me. Maybe it's just too washed out/bright. What do you all think?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hmm, yeah the former is more pleasant to look at because it has more contrast, even though the individual art-pieces of the second might be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    I dunno. It has more character for sure, but it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement, to me. Maybe it's just too washed out/bright. What do you all think?
    My initial reaction is that the first looks better in regards to readability, it's a bit hard to tell if the individual location icons look better in the new one. Not sure if I like the massive X's as a marker of levels completed, they just seem somewhat too out of place compared to the rest of the icons used.

I must agree, the first is more readable. The contrast and big Xes are part of the problem as others mentioned. Another thing I'd add is that the detail of the watercolor gets a bit lost when shrunk so much, so it doesn't look as appealing as the bigger originals you showed before.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Do you regret making Headliner a webgame in the first place?
    Not really, I already made a few webgames before so I had a good knowledge and my own code to build upon, and it was a nice break from Unity before. It was a fun learning experience too. Though, I am considering going back to Unity on my next project, or perhaps giving UE4 a go.

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated.

The one thing I'm not clear on is the issue with the X's? Like, they're plenty high-contrast, and insofar as they contrast with the rest stylistically, I'm not sure that's a problem with the X's so much as with the too-small too-detailed icons. I don't like the old red push-pins, nobody knew what they were, at least the X's seem to be immediately obvious to anyone who sees them. What would you suggest changing them into? Thanks again.

Hmm the Xes arent the main problem, it's mostly the contrast/detail thing. The only issue I have with the Xes is they're too thick and cover too much of the icon. If that's ok, then leave it as is. Honestly, they're not a big deal to worry about, i'd focus on the icons themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    The only issue I have with the Xes is they're too thick and cover too much of the icon. If that's ok, then leave it as is. Honestly, they're not a big deal to worry about, i'd focus on the icons themselves.
    More or less that, the X's stand out more than the icons themselves.

And when is an X not an Ex.

Well, the latest version of Headliner is done, time for another round of testing. I sent a few PMs but if anyone else is interested in checking it out, let me know!

Last edited by Yakoob; 27th Jun 2017 at 18:44.

Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 232833384348535863686970717273747576 LastLast