TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Alien: Covenant

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I bet you all hated Arrival.

And like the Star Wars prequels.
    Not seen Arrival.

Phantom Menace - Excellent light saber battles + music. Pod Racing was good. Half half movie.
    Clone Wars - Meh. I'd forgotten this movie the minute I finished watching it. I can't remember almost anything from it at all.
    Revenge of the Sith - Excellent movie, besides the "noooooooooooooo". Easily the best of the prequel movies. Watched this one twice at cinemas.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I shan't be taking any recs from you guys on sci-fi, that's for sure.
    OH NO!

WHAT FATE HAVE I WROUGHT UPON MYSELF!!! :U

Southquarter.com/fms
    Covenant was awful. I saw it on the day it came out, and I've already mostly forgot about it. A terrible cast, no interesting personalities anywhere in the bunch. They're all just clones waiting to get picked off for target practice. They could have brought some of those 2000 colonists out of cryo midway through the movie and no one would have know the difference.

The plot? So, as bad as Prometheus was, they did set up the next movie OK with David and Shaw heading out into the universe to find the Engineers and discover their intentions. Now, wham, that's all gone and suddenly, out of the blue, David is the robot with a God complex. Shaw killed off. No real logical explanation for why David is doing all this crazy stuff with genocide and breeding. It's like Scott has no idea what he wants to do and just keeps switching gears.

Then there was the surprise ending where Seriously, Was Anyone Actually Surprised By That? I love how they kept focusing and zooming in on David's missing hand as if screaming at the audience LOOK THIS IS WALTER.

I think what happened was that Prometheus was highly criticized, but the only consistent praise in reviews was for Fassbender's role as David, so Scott decided to change it all around and make him the center of everything. And hey, just to double down, we'll add a second "David" and pit them against each other.

I can't see good things for the franchise going forward, really. Scott just seems desperate to connect the prequels with Alien, but doesn't have a clue how to do it well.

Still Subjective
    I agree Brethren.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post

Phantom Menace - Excellent light saber battles
    Ha ha what

Yes, movie fights aren't real, strange that someone would apparently only notice this in a movie with enchanted swords and magic space powers, doesn't mean they're not well performed and entertaining.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I still like the Phantom Menace saber duel, but it is just a bit too choreographed and "clean" to be a real sword fight. Maul is way too showy and acrobatic, almost dancer like, to be believable (the leg spin with the arm spread out move is laugh out loud funny).

But in all fairness, you could probably over analyze any sword fight from Star Wars or any other movie and come up with the same thing.

Their a hell of a lot better in Phantom Menace than in the Force Awakens.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Now to completely undermine whatever credibility I might have when it comes to Alien movies by standing up for Alien Resurrection

I liked it! Sure it threw everything that came before it under the bus, but it was also filled to the brim with weird, interesting, and fun stuff. Let's stack up the pros and cons of Resurrection and you'll see I'm right on this.

PROS:
    -Jean-Pierre Jeunet's wonderful visual style. You all liked Amelie, right? Well, Alien Resurrection is basically just Amelie in Space!
    -Dan Hedaya and Brad Dourif playing it ALL THE WAY over the top.
    -the scene where 2 aliens kill the 3rd alien just to escape the cage.
    -Ron Perlman and his merry band of French weirdoes.
    -the clones scene.
    -the one guy who had two guns and was cool.
    -the underwater scene.
    -when the sad alien gets sucked out of a tiny hole in the window.

CONS:
    -Winona Ryder

See! The good far outweighs the bad!

ALIEN RESURRECTION STATUS AS GOOD MOVIE: CONFIRMED
    What makes this film even better is that Jeunet couldn't speak English and didn't even know what the plot of his film was until he saw the final movie with subtitles. So when Joss Whedon said "It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do."... that's why.

But the thing is, that makes it a much more entertaining film. Let's be honest - Fox's idea for it sucked, and so Whedon's script also sucked. The actors all knew the film was a piece of crap, so they were making fun of their lines as they delivered them. The result is hilarious, and a more entertaining movie than Aliens. Yeah, I just said that.

Still Subjective
    Well it's certainly funny how bad it is.

I can't be bothered to post a new thread, so this goes here.

Joss Whedon of all the people should shut up. It is exactly his derivative, ironic, anything's possible narrative style with paper thin characters playing it way too cool that we see in Resurrection. The same style that almost killed Batman in the 90s.
    I didn't mind when he made shallow tv series about vampires that my little sister watched religiously. But some things are not to be made fun of. And Whedon should have never been let anywhere near Alien. Might as well read fanfic.

He does do good sometimes. Firefly / Serenity was fantastic.

Yeah, I appreciate Whendon's ensemble cast style and he has plenty of winners, but him working on Alien is almost as random as Jeunet working on Alien. That said, my understanding is that he basically just wrote what Fox told him to on that one.

I think Kolya's pretty off on Whedon, but regardless of this, I have no idea whether Whedon's style could work in an Alien film (it's not as if the first three films weren't wildly different in terms of tone). What I do know is that Whedon's skills are primarily verbal, whereas Jeunet was a strongly visual director with little command of the English language. It would've been a surprised if it had worked.

Avengers. Another good one from him.

Level 10,000 achieved
    And The Cabin in the Woods and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog! Yeah, I generally love Whedon's stuff.

I used to be a snob re: Buffy, thinking that it was a load of puerile rubbish. Then I actually watched it. Now, as with most TV series, there are a lot of flaws - but the series does a lot of things amazingly well, and it's got some episodes that I'd unhesitatingly put up there with the best that TV has to offer.

Buffy was good up to when she killed herself. That was like the end of the second last season I think. After that it was half half.

Angel on the other hand started off good and got better as it went along.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Their a hell of a lot better in Phantom Menace than in the Force Awakens.
    Basically acrobatics with no emotion behind it as the redlettermedia review points so clearly. In Phanton Menace that is..

BANNED
    Aren't planned perpetual sequels something that RedLetterMedia were ripping on? I'm out of the loop on that kind of thing!

Was at the local nerd store they other day (bought myself a copy of 3rd edition Space Hulk, it was 50 bucks cheaper than the new 4th edition, I seriously doubt there are 50 dollar worth of game to justify the difference in price)

Anyway. Found the Alan Dean Foster novelisation of the movie. Flipped through it and found this. SPOILERS if you haven't seen the movie. I can't successfully add spoiler tags to an image.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    "Would that I could create something so perfect"
    This book knows me.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Prometheus was a big ball of shite.

Is Alien: Covenant not going to be a big ball of shite?

I'm not so sure.

It better not be.

They cancelled 'Aliens 5' to allow this film to be made, after all.
    I went to see this movie in the cinema, but this last supper scene didn't appear, why?

They also had another prologue focusing on David and Shaw. These prologues were basically plot teasers, getting you excited about what happens next. Perhaps there was an earlier cut of the film that included them.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast