TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fan Mission Listing by Type (upgraded)

I remember we discussed this idea when we were planning the updated MbyT thread, and if i remember correctly we all agreed it was a good suggestion, one that you made many moons ago here, i think it did not happen simply because it had been such a huge task classifying all the missions, formatting them, and pasting them into their respective categories your idea just kind of got lost somewhere down the line.

A couple of points with regards to your notes
    Nickie, Kamyk and myself discussed a number of categories both new and old, and generally agreed on most of them but there were a few oddities, such as City & Mansion, which was my idea as there are a few missions that are pretty much 50/50 city/mansion and so did not really fit into either city or mansion separate sections comfortably.....so i admit it was a bit of a fudge to try to accommodate those missions.

Again Beasts was a bit of a fudge category as there are some missions that had a lot of non standard enemies in them but we could not think of a better word than beasts

AI Battle/Battle Arena/Combat....there was more discussion/debate about this category than any other....but it was included as there are a number of missions in which fighting of various kinds is the most significant part of that mission....think early Cardia missions

Daylight....this category goes all the way back to when Kamyk started this thread, many moons ago it was rare for missions to be set in daylight and when kamyk started this thread others suggested this section to help them find such missions....it was kept in as we saw no reason to remove it, although i accept that nowadays its relevance is limited

Lost Civilizations.....not a lot of missions released nowadays fit into this category, but enough T1/TG and early T2 missions seemed to justify having such a section

Mazes....again not a huge number of missions fall into this category, but 'Mazes' is one of those aspect of Thief that is a real turn off for some people, they just so hate mazes, we included this section to give people a heads up

Sci-Fi/Future/Modern/Other Worlds/Space.....yeah ok i admit it...another fudge but there are enough missions out there that just can not be classified in any other way and the whole point of having a MbyT thread is to include every mission and thus have enough sections to accommodate all the missions

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade View Post
    Links? I think you misunderstand.
    I knew what you meant - I was just expanding the idea to myself, out loud.

So any thoughts or suggestions for organizing the FM list based on my draft?

Also what about including descriptions of each category on each category post? (Wouldn't really fit on the listing post without getting very cluttered unfortunately.)

And would it be of any interest to add the OMs to the categories?
    Last edited by Iceblade; 13th Nov 2015 at 13:57.

Your suggestions are being discussed at the moment. We can include brief descriptions in that discussion but I can tell you I'm not in favour, nor of including OMs as this forum is entirely devoted to fan missions.

I think this is a very impractical method of listing fan missions. There are just way too many categories with the same missions listed repeatedly. Too many missions change locations for such a list. I believe it would be better with just a simple alphabetical list with downloads and screenshots. That way each mission gets listed only once. When I play a Thief mission, I don't base my decision to play that mission on whether it's a city, bank job, Hammerite, daylight, Mechanist, etc. This list took me quite a while to go through trying to see if I have missed any missions over the years.

It isn't the purpose of this list to simply list all fan missions. It is not a list of all fan missions. While this is not the criteria you use to choose a fan mission, it is a very common and popular means of choosing a fan mission. Many (if not most) people have definite preferences about what type of mission they like to play, or perhaps just what they are in the mood for at the moment. So this list helps them find missions of a particular type.

Clearly not all missions fall into a single category. As you say, they change locations and location types. That is why a single mission may appear in multiple categories. Searching this list for a specific mission is not going to be very easy. But searching this list for a particular type of mission should be fairly productive.

But I agree with you in one thing, it would be nice if a complete, alphabetical (or sortable) list of fan missions existed somewhere.

If you're looking for missions you may have missed then the A-Z Listing of Fan Missions with FM Loader Guide is a comprehensive alphabetical list of fan missions.

I take it the silence means no to the sublist idea.

DromEd Archmage
    Listing mission per type is also useful to author too to know what kind of mission is rare/missing.
    When you are creating a fan mission you just don't want to create what you've got in mind but you also whish to try a new experimentation in playing Thief.
    So such list per categories IS very useful.

Plus I saw many players saying "I want to play a city mission", "I don't want to play a zombie mission", "I want challenge", "I want action", "I want puzzles".
    Things like this!

So we must - should keep such kind of listing. It is clearly what I need during these rare time I can and want to play a mission!
    Call me Jojo if you want! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade View Post
    I take it the silence means no to the sublist idea.
    No, it just means people have been really busy with RL stuff and the holidays, lately. We'll get around to reaching a consensus one of these days, hopefully in the not too distant future.

I'm sorry, Iceblade, this is my fault. I've not been able to be around as much as usual so not only have we not really had time to discuss it but Nightwalker and Tannar have been doing my forum duties as well as their own and so have even less time than they did. Hopefully I'll be back full time in January and we can deal with this as well as other suggestions for the forum.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    The Drymian Codex should be added to the Pagan category when someone has a moment.

Done.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    I'm sorry, Iceblade, this is my fault. I've not been able to be around as much as usual so not only have we not really had time to discuss it but Nightwalker and Tannar have been doing my forum duties as well as their own and so have even less time than they did. Hopefully I'll be back full time in January and we can deal with this as well as other suggestions for the forum.
    It happens. I just got the impression you guys were actively discussing it and the lack of an update left to come to negative conclusion.

I expect that if I hadn't been quite so distracted, I would have remembered to post something to the effect that it had had to be put on the back burner for a while. Again, apologies.

In the campaign section, The Librarian should be added as the prequel to Spear of Destiny. Currently SOD is the only entry...
    Also, Bad Debts and Disorientation should be added as a double campaign.

Thanks for that. I've got some updating to do this week so will add those.

And we are, at long last, playing around with Iceblade's subcategory idea in its simplest form.

Just to say that LadyWhitman's Disease in post #13 is listed as T1, but the download link fetches a T2 FM of that name.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Prior to the T2 version of this mission, there was a T1 version.