TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nightdive Studios resurfaces!

Bunch of stuff gathered from Discord discussions:

On body awareness:

It's something that we've considered, but it's not a priority as it adds a lot of extra work and difficulty in more areas than you'd expect.

Having full body awareness that actually adds to the experience requires having no part of it distract you, which is very difficult.

We decided that it works best for the game to remove as many layers of separation between the player and the hacker as possible.
    On the HUD:

there will definitely be a good variety of hud customization. As for specific options, the only thing that is fully decided on is hud tint and transparency.
    How the UI is being built:

UMG* with some custom mesh widgets I've implemented that support some nifty procedural effects.

The EKG code that I wrote for Unity is coming back. I prefer writing code in C/C++, and as such the mesh widgets are written in C++. There are other things we are doing with the HUD that I'll leave as a surprise - especially since things might change.
    * Unreal Motion Graphics UI Designer
    Last edited by Starker; 12th Apr 2018 at 21:44.

If he'd stuck with Unity the UI would have been easy to imolement thanks to stuff like nGUI.

Are UIs difficult to implement with UMG?

No, they are not.
    It's a visual editor that lets you lay out the different UI elements easily, and has handling for things like basic interaction and resolution-based scaling.

UIs were a bit harder to implement in the early days of UE4, before they added UMG.

Call me stupid but, which one is the UE4 screenshot? The top one?

All of them.

Ooops, you mean in the comparison. The top one of each set is UE4.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 20th Apr 2018 at 05:02.

I would guess in each screenshot the UE4 version is the top half while the old Unity version is the bottom half. I recognize the lead pipe model in two of those shots from the old demo.

There was a stream last week where Stephen Kick modeled a mutant and answered questions. I took some notes from the Q&A:

100% of original level geometry will be in the game.

Aware of fan projects, happy about it, want more System Shock.

They don't know what to do with cyberspace yet. Stephen Kick likes the idea of a Tron-ish world where you're in the inside of a computer or the code of a computer, wants it to be reminiscent of the original, but more like Descent or Forsaken. Nightdive will be consulting with Otherside about it.

Chris Avellone is still involved, going to add in more details, such as role of the characters and backstory. Story will be the same as in SS1 with all the main details.

They want to have text and audio match up in the logs. Maybe there's an opportunity to do something similar to the original, but this time with intent.

The release of dev tools not planned, but they'll consider doing something after release.

KS money is not all spent and company is doing fine, financially. The main focus of the company is still releasing old games.

Eric and Terri Brosius will be working together to bring SHODAN to life.

Morale is good after the change and people are enthusiastic to work on the refocused project.

Not hiring right now, but certainly will in the future. Definitely an animator, maybe someone to do effects.

Backer alpha will be very limited (5 people or so) and everyone will have to sign an NDA.

For intro, they'll probably just recreate the original cinematic. One very risky idea is to make it playable, Half-Life style.

For localisation, want to do voice, but may have to do subtitles only. EFIGS and some other languages based on polling.

Want to create lots of variations of mutants. Possibly female mutants. Will have to see how expensive it will be.

One idea for DLC / expansion is to show the story from the eyes of a different character, someone converted by SHODAN to be a mutant or a cyborg.
    If you don't want to watch the whole stream, start at the 2 hour 8 minute mark to see Stephen Kick showing off the unfinished medical and blocked out flight deck levels, some modeled untextured objects, and puzzle tests: https://youtu.be/DZy9KmZjuTg?t=2h8m2s

Last edited by Starker; 27th Apr 2018 at 19:18.

Now that explains a lot. I'd never put my money on that kind of project lead by someone this young.

Well that's good to know. Was worried I'd get a cease and desist for my System Shock UGC for Shadowrun Returns at some point.

I'm actually feeling more confident about it now that Stephen Kick took over the project. The process has been a whole lot more transparent and the game seems to be shaping up much more faithful to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Now that explains a lot. I'd never put my money on that kind of project lead by someone this young.
    Erm... I'm pretty sure Stephen Kick is older than Doug Church was when Church was the project director on the original System Shock. In fact, I'm pretty sure several legendary developers of classic projects were younger when they made their definitive games than Kick is now.

It's a different era, sure, but Kick's already accomplished quite a bit in founding and running Night Dive. Despite the problems with this System Shock project, Night Dive's work gathering and re-releasing classic games has been mostly seen as successful and well-liked.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Yes, it seems really bizarre to criticize someone as being too young when they've been in the industry for over 10 years. Criticism for other areas is fair, but that one doesn't add up.

I can't help but get a really good impression from Stephen Kick. The proof will be in the final product of course, but it seems like the project is on the right track now.

Though the definition of when one "entered" the games industry is a bit murky. For me I'd define it as when you worked at an actual games company in paid employment. But then last year I went for a job interview at Talus Interactive in Melbourne, and the interviewer got annoyed when I said that I'd never been in the games industry after I mentioned having a game on Steam already. He replied "Erm, your in the games industry now since you have a game on there".

That's not how I'd define it but meh.

And older does not necessarily mean better or worse. Different games companies have different attitudes and styles. Take Westwood Studios and EA. Or Origin and Looking Glass Studios. Naughty Dog and Blizzard. All different, made up of different designers and attitudes which goes on to be reflected in the games produced by them. It's all a bit early to know what Night Dive's overall attitude and style will go until they've made a few games. My bet is that whatever they work on after this game will be done much better (I hope) due to experiences gained etc etc.

Time will tell, but I'm already getting a better vibe than from that Jason Fader guy.

Another stream with Stephen Kick. There's a bit of a Q&A and show and tell at the end, starting at about 1:53 https://youtu.be/-dVQ146UKDs?t=1h53m

Hunting for SS2 source code in order to do a source port and fix linux and multiplayer.

Won't go the path of Bethesda or Disney with DMCAs. Unless infringing on rights and selling a commercial project without permission, green light for all mods, fan projects.

Want to do a demo for the final game. Probably going to put up the build that got scrapped for backers when the game comes out. Also, will make the original Unity demo available.

Shuttle bays will have shuttles. Design based on the intro.

Want to release all the produced art after launch.

Thinking about a SS2 remake. Not necessarily by Nightdive.

Want to do a limited re-release of System Shock 1. Will contain the source port, the source code, a re-release of the original manual (I.C.E Breaker), a newly arranged soundtrack, plus a few other things that are secret for now. The box art cover will be redone by the original artist (Robb Waters).
    Last edited by Starker; 20th May 2018 at 20:41.

SS2 remake? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

That game does not need a remake.

It's probably less because it needs one and more because someone wants to do one. I wonder who offered to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    SS2 remake? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

That game does not need a remake.
    Why not? I mean, it may not need a remake, but I don't think the original would be damaged by association with a bad remake, if that's what it came down to. Worst case we get a crap remake we can ignore, best case we get a faithful modernization that improves the original while remaining true to it.

Or maybe even a completely different remake that, for example, rebalances the whole game, completely redesigns Rickenbacker, and adds in cyberspace similar to the first game. Especially as there is no need for a faithful remake.

Zombified
    and botm done right.

I'd rather they devote their energy into making more new System Shock games + spin offs, rather than focusing on remakes.

They prefer to let Otherside do the sequel stuff. Also, why not let another company do a SS2 remake, if they really want to? Should they just keep the license to themselves and not let anyone touch it?

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Also, why not let another company do a SS2 remake
    Well, Stephen said that they are likely let a thirt-party company make a SS2 remake after they released SS1R.

https://youtu.be/-dVQ146UKDs?t=8382
    ---Old Habits Never Die---

Man those videos are long. Zzzzzzz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12