TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: help maybe?

help maybe?

otay i've gots a problem and i'm not sure if anyone can help me. I figured I'd jus post it on here hoping that some TUT player was really good w/ computers as well.

Okay problem: I conected to the internet and went on TUT to play but the servers didn't come up. I tried to brouse the internet and it came up w/ page not found or some other nonsence, it was like I wasn't even connected to the net!! I got on my other computer and I can connect and brouse the net just fine. The thing still connects on the other computer but its like I'm not even connected, you can't do anythong on the net. I was thinking of re-instaling windows but I'm pretty sure thats not going to change things, or is it?

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appriciate it. Like I said tho, I'm not posting this on here expecting it to get fixed, I jus thought maybe someone knew more bout computers than me. Any suggestions are appriciated. thx
    !i>"A High IQ Doesn't Make Up For A Lack Of Common Sense"<i!

okay if your computer works fine other than not getting on the net
    then reinstalling windows will not fix ur problem.
    instead u need to check your network connections maybe?
    a better bet would be possibly reinstalling your internet connection software

more info? are you on cable? dial up?

also check you modem cables did anything come loose?

No cables are loose

The point I was making was that It works fine on this computer but if I try to go on my other computer it dials up and connects I just can't view pages or anything. Its as if I'm not even connected. I have a 56k modem and its dial up. Also I forgot to say I did try and re-install my connection software, but it's still the same. thx for the response tho...

Originally posted by !i>\/iktoria<i!
    No cables are loose

The point I was making was that It works fine on this computer but if I try to go on my other computer it dials up and connects I just can't view pages or anything. Its as if I'm not even connected. I have a 56k modem and its dial up. Also I forgot to say I did try and re-install my connection software, but it's still the same. thx for the response tho...
    Please be more specific you confused me in your first post. As I understand it you use a dialup internet. You have them both on 2 computers. However they both connect fine but it only works on one computer. Correct? What type of internet is it called? Have you called them for free help? What OS are you running is it compatible? OS=Operating system. IE: Windows 95,98, linux etc.

sorry if i confused anyone.

I have a modem thats inside this computer, and I have a seprate modem for my other computer. I have windows xp on my other computer. If ya can't help me thats fine, sorry I know just about nothin' about computers and I didn't mean to confuse anyone, jus asked for a lil suggestions...

Originally posted by \/iktoria
    sorry if i confused anyone.

I have a modem thats inside this computer, and I have a seprate modem for my other computer. I have windows xp on my other computer. If ya can't help me thats fine, sorry I know just about nothin' about computers and I didn't mean to confuse anyone, jus asked for a lil suggestions...

When you plug a phone into the line that doesn't seem to be working, do you get a dialtone?

Have you tried disabling the XP "firewall". The XP firewall has been the cause of many problems concerning net connections. I don't have XP but I'm sure a google search will turn up an answer as to how to turn off the firewall.

actually both modems are on the same line but you can't connect to both of them at the same time. When I connect to the net on the other computer then pick up the fone it makes the sound as if its connected, yet I can't brouse the net OR play TUT online!!!!

Lesbian Vampires carry special Axes.

Alright. Heres what you do. Get at least a good hefty fifty pound axe, make sure your computer is properly powered down, disconnect everything, take it outside, and hit it three and a half times over exactly where you think the harddrive is. Sometimes buggy connection problems in UT can be fixed this way. It worked for me

LazerMane

Originally posted by >\/iktoria<
    actually both modems are on the same line but you can't connect to both of them at the same time. When I connect to the net on the other computer then pick up the fone it makes the sound as if its connected, yet I can't brouse the net OR play TUT online!!!!
    OK, keeping in mind that I'm NOT an IT expert...
    • Check the phone line to the computer. I know you said it was plugged in, but check it anyway. If the connections are solid, try a different phone line.
    • It's possible you have a bad modem. If it's under warranty, get a replacement. If not, 56K modems are cheap. Better still, pester your parents for broadband.
    • When I was on dialup, something similar would periodically happen to me. Sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol would help. You'll find that in Control Panel -> Network Settings, Configuration tab.
    • If none of that works, call your ISP's tech support line. It's far easier to troublshoot something like this on the phone than it is on a forum. Besides, as your ISP, tech support is part of what you're paying for.

Good luck!

ThieveryUT

You could try connecting, loading up IE and going to Tools->Internet Options->Connections->Settings and unticking/ticking the "Automatically detect settings" box, this sometimes helps!

Lazermane dude....your talking of the BFH popular term, remember it.
    spoiler:
    BIG FUCKING HAMMER!

Ya i know what your talking about, i used to get that too.... like my PC was sending stuff to net, but net did not reply...Hummm now how did i fix it ...
    If I remember it was a setting that got change don't know how.
    1- You try a reboot right...? (Windows love rebooting...hehe)
    2- Dishable any firewall runing (ZoneAlarm for example or sysgate...).
    3- Redo the inet connection / make a new connection (enter phone #, user name, password).
    4- Compare the inet setting from one PC to the other PC.
    I just can't remember what made it work again... good luck.

No computer expert, but I do like puzzles. In addition to what already been suggested:

Some questions to make sure I understand your things:

1)Good Computer (ie your other computer):
    -Works just fine
    -Runs Window XP

2)Bad Computer (ie the one you would like to work I assume)
    -What OS?
    -Computer it is connected and you here the tones of the computer connecting (dial tone, dialing, series of pings/tones, then static like sound), yet the computer cannot connect to the internet.

3)You said you reinstalled the connection software. To confirm, that means you removed you modem (not physically, but from windows perspective), rebooted, then reinstalled the modem through the wizard (probably when windows detected new device during the restart)?

4) How is the your Bad computer conmected exactly? Is it similar to any of the following?:

A) Phone Jack -> Surge suppresor -> (Bad Computer or Good Computer)
    B) Phone Jack -> Surge suppresor -> Good Computer -> Bad Computer

If (B), have tried running the Bad Computer directly?

5) Do you know how to check for device conflicts, or do a software type of modem check? Granted, if the problem lies there, it mioght be bugger to fix throught the boards.

6) Was the Bad Computer network connection working at one point? If so, what has been done to the computer since that time? (software/hardware added/removed, physical movement of the computer, unusual program crashes, etc.

7) Have you tried (with the power off), taking the modem physically out, and then putting it back in, making sure that little screw is tight?

8) Do you have Norton Utilities or similar. I have Systemworks 2001 and it has been able to fix little things in windows that have caused similar problems (Specifically registry problems-can be major headaches otherwise)

Hope some this is at least able to get things pointed in thright direction.
    Yea, I am dull and boring, but after I lull you to sleep....

This happened to me once before, where i couldnt view any webs pages. What i did(I Think) is reinstalled internet explorer

LoL, I didn't expect to get that many responses. Thx guys I'll be sure to try some of this stuff out. Hopefully it'll fix it an I'll be back to TUT!!!