TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: German got Problems with ThieveryUt

Sephiroth2k

German got Problems with ThieveryUt

Hi, I'm from German an need some Help!
    Every time when I playing Thievery a few minutes it crashes and I must manually restart my Computer.
    Sometimes it crashes at a special point...I don't know where but i bet for help because i want to play it.
    It's a super game and i want to play, please help me.
    Thanks.

Okay, I'm gonna take this one on. Already PMed him to get back to me on ICQ or IRC - prolly will be easier for all of us if there's someone that can give support in German. :-)

This link will let anyone anywhere translate any language anytime anywhere any any any.......um...... check it out. Pretty cool, and free. cant beat that.

http://www.systransoft.com/

You don't really want that. In 80% of all cases I've seen yet, SysTran (the software behind the well-known Altavista Babelfish pages) made translations that were totally hilarious, but not exactly useful.

1. Does the screen freeze like in a screenshot?
    2. Does the sound stop?
    3. Does this only happen in multiplayer?
    4. Does it seem to happen less if you use software mode?

If the answer is yes, then you have stolen my computer. I'll get you, you taffer!

Please answer ASAP, since I'll be gone come Monday.

Könnte ein Überhitzungsproblem sein. Teste Thievery mal mit offenem Gehäuse und guter Durchlüftung. Falls du übertaktet hast, würde ich mal alles wieder schön auf die Standardwerte zurückstellen. Auch könnte es helfen, im BIOS nicht so aggressive Speicher-Timings einzustellen (u.a. CL2,5 statt CL2). Stell' mal andere AGP-Modi im BIOS ein (AGP 2x statt AGP 4x, "AGP Fast Write" aus, usw.). Sollte das nichts helfen, wäre vielleicht ein unterdimensioniertes Netzteil die Ursache, also mal ein stärkeres Netzteil ausprobieren. Bei Athlon XP und GeForce 4 wäre etwa ein 420W-Netzteil angebracht. Ein 350W-Netzteil ist heute Standard. Sollte das ebenfalls nicht helfen, versuche mal, das BIOS auf die Standardwerte zurückzusetzen. Als Radikallösung gäbe es schlußendlich noch Format C:, wobei ich das nur machen würde, wenn es wirklich keinen anderen Ausweg gibt. Kann sein, daß ich jetzt nicht alle Möglichkeiten aufgezählt habe, aber die anderen wissen bestimmt auch noch was, oder?

In english:
    Freezes may be a issue of high temperatures. Try Thievery with your computer case open and good air conditions. If you've overclocked your components, I'd just try to reset everything to the default settings. It may help to change your BIOS memory timings to CL2,5 instead of CL2, for example. Try other AGP modes in your BIOS (AGP 2x instead of AGP 4x, "AGP Fast Write" disabled, etc.). If this doesn't help you, a weak power supply unit could be the reason, so try a better one. In combination with Athlon XP and GeForce 4 I recommend a 420 W PSU. I think that 350 W are the default PSUs today. If this still doesn't help, try to reset your whole BIOS to default settings. The final possibility to get rid of the freezes could be Format C:, but I'd format only, if there really isn't any other way. It's possible that I forget one or more possibilities, but I guess the other hardware experts know anything about this issue, too?

Vegeta, bei der hochdetaillierten Fehlerbeschreibung könnte das so ziemlich alles sein.
    Warten wir erstmal ab, ob Sephi auch noch eine genauere Beschreibung abliefert...

[translation]
    Vegeta, as detailed as the problem description is, it could be just about everything
    Let's wait if Sephi will deliver a more detailed description of his problem.
    [/translation]

[systran translation, just for OG Taffer]
    Vegeta, during the high-detailed error description could be so quite all this We are waiting first times whether Sephi delivers also still a specification...
    [/systran blah blah blah]
    Know what I mean?

YO BUTTRIDER WHATS YOUR PROB ???

Fucks a matter boy !! Hair up your ass today ?? JFC BOY I was only tryin to f'in help the guy. Are you saying the german guy cant figure out a simp prob ?? WTF???

Do you speak german ?? If not, how do you know if its butchered or not ??

Do you have a solution, SONNY ?? Mebbe you could post "something" constructive ??

I'm not saying the fuckin software is perfuckingfect, Just trying to give someone who might want to help an avenue to communicate. I've used this software extensively ordering tooling and technical components from germany and have somehow managed to get by..........how did that happen ???

(leaves room.......slamming door)(slams door open upon reentry)

And another thing....I can understand what it says perfectly.....WHATSAMATTAYOU !!

And besides, Why is your example just for me. Why not share. I give you all permission to read the riders post at will. Who knows mebbe someone else wont make the same mistake.

OG taffer - uh chill? Your suggestion was a good idea, I guess outrider disagreed, and just wanted to make his point?

Outrider and OG taffer, if you want to continue this (or yell at me for that matter) do it through PM's? Otherwise, Sephiroth2k's question will get lost in a flamewar.

>EDIT: OG: Saw your post in the "Messageboard" thread after I wrote this END EDIT<

Sephiroth2k:

Vegeta makes some good points, as far CL 2 or 2,5 (or even 3), check your what your memroy modules call for first, and set it to that. If you have more then one, and they are different, use the highest value, or take one out so that they are all the same. First thing is to do is isolate whether you are dealing with a hardware problem, or a software problem.
    Some questions I would add to DQ's:

5. Does Unreal Tournament work?
    6. Do have the correct latest patch for Unreal? (Several 436 patches exist)
    7, Did the program ever work?
    8. Does it play when you are not online?
    9. Control-Alt-Delete key combination does not work when ThieveryUT crashes?
    10. Is thievery the only program that crashes your computer?
    11. Does windows show any device conflicts?
    12. Do you have any softare that can check and fix windows registry errors?
    13. Have you tried deleting both Unreal Tournament and Thievery, then re-instally both?

Hopefully all this will get things fixed. If I can clarify, let me know. I unfortunately do not know German. Hope to see in game soon!
    Last edited by Thebos; 10th Jan 2003 at 00:09.
    Yea, I am dull and boring, but after I lull you to sleep....

I'm just tryin to fit in...........

I was really only kiddin........somewhat.... But your right, Its not fair to seprioth2k.

Immm....Sorrry outrider I dont do the pm,im,icq things. not that Im a loner, just dont get much computer time(2nd shift) and need to do things. Im really just like a big friendly puppy(mastiff) whos only playin when I bite........... I promise not to let it happen againatleast until next time . later

Re: YO BUTTRIDER WHATS YOUR PROB ???

Originally posted by OG taffer
    Fucks a matter boy !! Hair up your ass today ?? JFC BOY I was only tryin to f'in help the guy. Are you saying the german guy cant figure out a simp prob ?? WTF???
    Me too. I was just saying that Systran is, errrrr, not exactly usable.

Do you speak german ?? If not, how do you know if its butchered or not ??
    Yes, I do. I am from Germany as well.

Do you have a solution, SONNY ?? Mebbe you could post "something" constructive ??
    I don't have a solution because I still have no idea what the problem is. That's why I PMed Seph to get back to me so I could help him personally and without the lag that the Forums unavoidably have.

Whatever. Didn't want to piss anyone off or something. Yes, Systran sometimes does deliver understandable translations.
    Sometimes, it does not.
    In many cases, the translations may be understandable, but are still funny.
    That was the point I was going for.

Whatever. Seph still hasn't reacted to anything - neither to this thread nor to my PM. I wonder where he is...?

Originally posted by Deep Qantas
    1. Does the screen freeze like in a screenshot?
    2. Does the sound stop?
    3. Does this only happen in multiplayer?
    4. Does it seem to happen less if you use software mode?

If the answer is yes, then you have stolen my computer. I'll get you, you taffer!

LMAO
    I may only be a 98 pound weakling, but when I put on armor and grab a sword, I feel like I could take on all the thieves in the world. But I suppose 98 pounds isn't bad for a gerbil.

5. Does Unreal Tournament work?
    6. Do have the correct latest patch for Unreal? (Several 436 patches exist)
    7, Did the program ever work?
    8. Does it play when you are not online?
    9. Control-Alt-Delete key combination does not work when ThieveryUT crashes?
    10. Is thievery the only program that crashes your computer?
    11. Does windows show any device conflicts?
    12. Do you have any softare that can check and fix windows registry errors?
    13. Have you tried deleting both Unreal Tournament and Thievery, then re-instally both?
    Seph didn't say if he has those 1-4 probs I mentioned, but I'll shoot anyway.

5. No. UT has same problem.
    6. Huh? Several 436 patches?
    7. I think so.
    8. Yes it does. Only locks up in Internet or LAN.
    9. No. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work. Neither does power button. Only reset button.
    10. Of course. My computer has never crashed before in my life...
    Well seriously, yes. Only program that has this one problem.
    11. No, but two devices have non-installed drivers. PCI Serial Controllel and Wave Device for Voice Modem. Hm.
    12. No. Should I try one?
    13. Yes. Many times.

Because I forgot to mention it before, the standard disclaimer- Not a computer repair professional, but have worked thorugh issues on my computer as well as numerous PC's owned by friends

I suspect a device conflict of sorts, but not sure yet. I do not think the problem is Thievery or Unreal Tournament. Of course, I have more questions!

6. There are 3 slightly different ones for Windows found here , Do not think this is the problem, but you never know.

12. Rarely hurts. I use Norton System Works 2001. I have had various problems fixed after doing a registry scan. Sometimes a bad driver/dll pointer or something can really hose things up. If not using using WiniXP, you can probably get one of the earlier versions cheap. If using XP, I have heard that you will need the latest. Other such programs may be as good or better of course, I just happen to use Norton

8A. Are the internet and Lan devices internal, external or built into motherboard??
    8B. Are the internet and Lan devices one device or two seperate devices? If two seperate devices, matbe one of them is conflicting with the other? Have you tried running with one or the other device removed from the system?
    8C. Sounds like you can surf the internet. Is this correct?
    8D. Do you have any other online games (not related to Unreal Tournament)? If so, are you able to play these online?
    8E What IRQ's do your Modem and Network devices use?

11. 2 devices with non-instaleed drivers. Interesting. This may be the source of the problem, or may be what you want, depending on the computer set-up.
    11A. Is your Modem dial-up? if so is it a hardware modem or a software based winmodem?
    11B. Do you=have any USB devices? Do they work on all of your USB ports (assuming you have them)
    11C. When you check System Properties-> Device Manager -> Ports, How many Com ports do you have, and what are there names?

14A Is your Sound card part of your motherboard, or a PCI card?
    14B What IRQ's and DMA's does it use?

15A Is your Video card part of your motherboard, a PCI card, or an AGP card?
    15B What IRQ's does it use?

16 Are all Sound and video drivers up-to-date?

Aren't computers fun?
    Yea, I am dull and boring, but after I lull you to sleep....