TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death's Cold Embrace: Mission 9 "The Wailing Keep"

It helps to stand behind the lever so you can have it highlighted while looking across to the other window

You'll know what to do

(If you haven't yet, there's a readable near one of the levers. It will provide some valuable context.)

Access to Towers

First, Thank you Russ and the team and really everyone that keeps us taffers going and that has brought us this old thief out of hiding with DCE. Cant believe I am still playing since I first started back in 99.
    That being said, It is late and I cannot seem to find access to any of the four towers? My mechanical eye is obviously failing (I only have one good eye). Any help is appreciated.

Go back out through the castles' main gate, and they're right there, surrounding the keep. Just go up and up and up the spiral stairs

hmmm, I am in the courtyard but don't see the way in? As I understand once I have been in the four towers with the wand then the main castle portcullis will open

EDIT: Oh sorry! Different four towers Those ones are at the four corners of the courtyard. Go up as high as you can on the ramparts surrounding the compound (where all the nasty will o' the wisp type baddies patrol). When you get to a corner, look for a ladder up even higher.
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 11th Nov 2017 at 22:15. Reason: Discovered a miscommunication :)

I know, I can see them, and now I am standing right next to the portcullis. It must be so obvious. perhaps a screenshot is needed thanks

Inside at last.....I seriously think I need to retire after this faux-pas
    But I do have to say, a bit too many wisps at the top; I cannot hobble so fast...
    Last edited by dkessler; 11th Nov 2017 at 22:28.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    @Ravenus1: If you have the scroll spell and Clara died, then you need to go to the top of each corner tower of the keep and read (frob) the spell scroll to disable each of the four devices which are emitting beams at the keep.
    Last edited by Yandros; 12th Nov 2017 at 00:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    @Ravenus1: If you have the scroll spell and Clara died, then you need to go to the top of each corner tower of the keep and read (frob) the spell scroll to disable each of the four devices which are emitting beams at the keep.
    This might be the most duh moment I have ever had. How I got to this point without help is beyond me. That it tells me exactly what to do in the darn objective lol.

Thanks Yandros!

It took 10 minutes to finish this since reading your reply . Great mission and nice ending.
    Last edited by Ravenus1; 12th Nov 2017 at 16:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I think he's already finished the campaign, he was just voicing his protest of that design decision, which I understand. I still agree with how we did it, though.
    I wish. I have a problem with games like these; the inability to walk past a doorway or room. I have to explore all of it, which means in this mission I'm $#@^ed because there's spirits in each ruin outside. Aside from the undead stuff, this has been amazing work.
    Last edited by Tannar; 13th Nov 2017 at 00:22. Reason: removed profanity

Desperately dodgy geezer
    You can always wait and explore the outer parts more easily later, once all the Flood (wisp spiders) and invincible bosses are gone.

Is there any way to avoid, or get rid of the AI throughout this mission? I find it rather challenging even on normal (I was playing the whole set of missions on expert until I saw them).

Or - at least - do they have any weaknesses?

To everyone who feels the AI is challenging in this mission - just stick to the ladders! Having said that, I was finding it maybe not hard but tedious to get down from towers, without being seen. But again - ladders are your friends. And the shadows, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    To everyone who feels the AI is challenging in this mission - just stick to the ladders! Having said that, I was finding it maybe not hard but tedious to get down from towers, without being seen. But again - ladders are your friends. And the shadows, of course.
    Thanks - ladders are truly useful for me also.

Anyway, I need a hint now. Clara is dead, I have the magic scroll, but have no idea where to read it - I can't get beyond the barrier to the body.
    I

Also, I've been thinking a lot, but have no idea how to avoid the two switches that are setting themselves back to the original position after i pull them. I tried to figure out the route or behavior of the nearby ghost but it remained useless.

Any ideas?

@ticky:
    1) you need to visit each tower of the internal walls and "read" the spells beside the "antennas".
    2) the ghost is actually helpful. When he appears, he pulls one of the levers. Both of the levers have to be pulled at the same time, so... you know what to do now...

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    @ticky:
    1) you need to visit each tower of the internal walls and "read" the spells beside the "antennas".
    2) the ghost is actually helpful. When he appears, he pulls one of the levers. Both of the levers have to be pulled at the same time, so... you know what to do now...
    Thanks a lot! I could not see that there are actually inner towers, because of the fog.

Have to say, this is my favourite mission, hands down.
    I've made a little video, based on dealing with those fiendish wisps! All in fun, don't you know!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Thanks, Purgator! To be honest, I didn't expect this to be anyone's favorite mission in the campaign due to the difficulty. Glad you enjoyed it. And the wisps are harmless, they're the spirits of long-dead Drymians.... but I'm sure you mean the aggressive little buggers who are actually internally called "flood" on the team because their sounds are actually sounds of The Flood from Halo 3.

My mistake, I should have said 'Flood'.
    Yeah, this is a very challenging mission, but isn't that what you want from an FM? I've enjoyed finding a corner of this map to bunker down and gather the remnants of my wits, pondering my next move. It's immersive, and as scary as bejesus. Great!
    Last edited by Purgator; 16th Nov 2017 at 07:35.

Is it me or were the smaller flood based on spiders ?

Definitely got a spidery impression when the little buggers spotted me & attacked

Which was a lot

not really sure that needed spoiler tags, but just in case

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Yes, the small ones are basically invisible spiders with a spiky corona FX attached to their backs and the voices of the flood from Halo.

two questions: I've met Clara, got the magic stick and have already lit the four torches and I've been to the basement, so I know I somehow have to turn off or re-route the electric towers, but there seems to be nothing more to do. I've looked in the tall library for something to read or maybe some book for Clara to translate for me, but I've found nothing... Any hints?

Second question: who did you get to do the voice for Garrett? (and the other voices)

Desperately dodgy geezer
    All the voice acting is attributed in the readme, so go check it out. SlyFoxx did Garrett, though, as he has been doing for many FMs for years.

You need to search the central keep thoroughly. There is a locked door to the east tower and finding the key should be your next goal. After that, just explore and you should find the next thing you need, which Clara hinted at when you spoke to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Purgator View Post
    Yeah, this is a very challenging mission, but isn't that what you want from an FM?
    No, not for all of us. Personally, I can't stand this "more challenge! And yet some more!! And STILL a lot more!!! Bring' em on!!" some people emit every now and then any more. I usually don't want a mission with just one enemy in it, but I cannot enjoy some of these oh-so-challenging missions either.

"The Wailing Keep" was a bit too much for me, especially because it also included two or three "search a large place with a lot of hard-to-get-rid-off enemies swarming around for a not-so-well described McGuffin, and don't expect (m)any clues" experiences. I have had several variants of that theme with different FMs in the last year, and after a while, that's not so funny anymore. Especially since once the player runs in circles without any progress, the concept shows its bad side. (That was not much the case in "The Wailing Keep", but in several other missions. Maybe I should nickname them "The Wailing Player Missions"?)

In the end, I managed to finish the mission, but I'd prefer the others in "Death's Cold Embrace" over this one. It's still a good mission, though.