TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost Places Contest - Results

Southquarter.com/fms
    Uh, you're working on another large campaign? I'm assuming the other campaign you're referring to is The Black Parade.

SSR for TDP would be great. It would be cool if someone could put together a gamesys or a dev kit/pack to make T1G style missions easier to do in T2.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I'm assuming the other campaign you're referring to is The Black Parade.
    Affirmative.

SSR for TDP would be great. It would be cool if someone could put together a gamesys or a dev kit/pack to make T1G style missions easier to do in T2.
    Why not just make it for TG? You still get all the benefits of NewDark and have all the T1 assets right there.
    Last edited by Yandros; 2nd Nov 2017 at 20:42.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by -Terra- View Post
    I Relly like this Idea, i am missing such Projects like Hammerite Empire or Cosas.
    Note how both projects are dead after years and years of work by several people.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I've spoken privately with some other authors and players about this today, and we all kind of agree that a stock resource contest might be the most suitable approach here. It would be more in line with an homage contest to suit the anniversary, and the restriction against custom resources would also tend to help people finish on time, as well as encourage newbies to enter, as it levels the playing field to some extent. We also have only ever had one such contest, and it was pretty successful (over a dozen entries if I recall correctly).
    Two if we count the Classic Thief Experience contest (it was T2 and stock only).

I also agree that a TG/T1 contest would be the way to go for a T1 anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by -Terra- View Post
    Thanks for this Words, but its ok, this Contest was a Fun Event, an i really enjoy this Challenge, for me there is not really One Winner.

At this Point thank you, Brethren for this great Contest and the work i hope i see more contest in the Future.

Congratulations, John! and also Congratulations, trefoilknot.

And thank you Guys for Playing my FM, i hope you Enjoy the Acideus Saga in the Future.

I have some Contest Idea, i like to see a Team Build Contest, with 2 or more Authors in a Team to create a FM. Or a Crazy Contest with some Special Effects and strange Places or other Dimensions.
    Maybe a 20th Anniversary contest could happen, but to get back on topic I agree that since the scores were so close that the collective effort of all involved was the winner. I don't think this would be a conflict but I beta tested trefoilknot's mission but I didn't know it was for the contest until a couple of days before the release.

I was actually scared to release mine because of the complexity of the ship's engine. There was no way to apply a formula to the motions of the engine rotations so I had to spend hours of trial and error. I'm hoping that the engine didn't go bonkers on anyone while it was running.

Belated congratulations John. And well done to Terra and trefoilknot. My computer's back from the menders so I just need to set it up somewhere and get cracking.

Were you intending to post the comments, Brethren? Or did I miss them somewhere?

Thanks Nickie. I think everyone did really well on this contest. Hopefully there will be more contestants in the next contest.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Were you intending to post the comments, Brethren?
    Yes, I've been slacking. This week for sure.

Congrats to all and thanks for the missions!
    Any hint who trefoilknot is? I assume it's a pseudonym created for the contest.

Think you'll find he a newbie author. He sent me a PM thanking me my comments about his mission in the Brief Summaries, and although I don't know his age, I got the impression he is a young lad, so let's hope we'll see lot more from him in future years.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Trefoilknot is a new author indeed, but based on this contest entry and the level of questions he's asking in TEG, I think we have a lot of great things to expect from him in the coming years. He's already working on another mission I do believe.

Southquarter.com/fms
    User comments for Bertrand's Forgotten Tomb, by trefoilknot:

I liked this mission even though I don't like puzzles that much.
    I never got the hint statues to work properly (the early ones) but the mission is awesome. The "stand here to look up and get the code" was awesome! Some of the puzzles were straightforward, some less so. Very nice mission, and looking forward to future missions from this author!
    Nice debut mission, hope to see more from this author.
    Too hard on the puzzles. But fun to play, with a lot of help from TTLG forum.
    I really enjoy a good puzzle mission, and this mission without a doubt filled that desire. It was short, but I enjoyed every minute. It has been a while since I have needed to have a notepad at my desk to work out puzzles in a game such as this.
    Great mix of puzzles and action.
    I usually like puzzle missions but I didn't manage to finish this one. I couldn't get past the second gate, my problem was that I couldn't determine the colours of the coloured floor and fully understand the poem/hint. I haven't given up yet though, just taking a break.
    Simple level design, normal atmosphere, Story could be better, gameplay focused mainly on puzzles only, still overall a reasonable mission.
    Geared too much towards math heads. Puzzles too vague and don't make any sense.
    This was my mission, but I tried to be honest

This is my favorite kind of mission, otherwise I wouldn't have made it the way it is! Very puzzle-y, with some optional acrobatics. The puzzles are totally distinct from any FM I've ever played---and they're right up my alley.

The design is nice. makes good use of stock resources, but won't make anyone say "wow!" (except maybe the projection room...) It's not terribly ambitious, but it has a cohesive feel, with some polish. Could have used a bit more pizzazz. The nested texturing was a cool effect. Don't think that has been done before. I also liked all the circle cut-outs.

There's not much in-game plot development, but I like the strong adherence to an interesting theme: "self-reference." It tied in nicely to an intriguing backstory. I liked all the relevant easter eggs, too. Especially in the Lair of Dead Knights. Not sure many will get them, tho :\
    Great contest mission. Well made, good atmosphere and gameplay with some clever / novel puzzles. Hope the author makes more.
    Couldnt complete game. gave up wandering around.
    Nice puzzler (though the "light puzzle" still has me stumped!) with good visual and written clues. The "hint statues" were a clever touch and I enjoyed the readables. Great first-time effort from a newbie author. Look forward to your next FM.
    I really enjoyed the puzzles in this mission! In particular, I loved the "Aha!" moment when I found the solution to the projection room, and the last one had just the right amount of difficulty to give my brain some good exercise.
    Great puzzles! And the rhymed readables are really standing out! Enjoyed it a lot.
    The 10 for gameplay and enjoyment is really mostly about the enjoyment, because the puzzles are AWESOME! The story is a lot of fun for me, because I love the references to the mathematicians. Plus I am not very good at fighting, and didn't have to do a whole lot of that in this one.
    I really loved the puzzles! Bonus points for the superbly rhyming clues. Totally fair to subtract health for taking hints....... I was glad to have them when I felt stuck----way better than getting stuck in a mission all for the lack of finding some ridiculously hidden but necessary key. The "projection room" was really inspired! Looking forward to more from this game designer!
    Awesome puzzler! Pretty, but could have used some more variety. Maybe some custom objects or textures to give it that little bit of umpf. Lots of fun to play!
    Bertrand's is a very nice change of pace in terms of Thief gameplay. It's a thought-provoking puzzle mission mixed in with decent stealth and that's something you don't see very often. The plot was detailed but overall didn't matter very much to the FM as a whole.
    great riddles/puzzles.
    Good-looking puzzle mission in a proper, dark tomb. Preferred the physical puzzles, but as puzzle-driven missions go, it is one of the better ones - and one of the solutions is mindboggingly creative.
    Interesting for a first Fm but puzzles were frustrating for a non English.
    Last edited by Brethren; 14th Nov 2017 at 11:49.

Southquarter.com/fms
    User comments for Derelict Dock District, by john9818a:

Despite the latest part being irritating (solving the code), the mission itself represented really good visuals of a wasted/abandoned town. The ship is well done... Liking the custom objects (the ones I presume that are exclusive), the streets are good too. All in all, this FM is my favorite. Well done.
    Great mission very unique I enjoyed playing and will again! Hope for more from this author.
    I needed some hints to get through this mission and the zombies created a lot of tension. Certainly, I don't think a haunted dock district has been done before. Very well done!
    Great atmosphere. A little too small.
    Had a good time with this one! Really enjoyed all the puzzles on the boat. I thought it could have used more of that. The rest of the mission wasn't particularly cerebral (which is fine, but I'm a big fan of puzzles), but it did have some fun thieving
    Had a very classic look/feel. I'd have preferred more a modern look with high rez textures, etc... but that's just my preference.
    I enjoyed this one the most. I didn't quite belive the story but the plot seemed alright.
    interesting buildings by the docks, they could be better, the ship design is poor. the story is interesting, the gameplay is enjoyable. Overall a satisfying mission.
    My first place. Very good creepy atmosphere and audio in the town, great ship and nice exploring. Solid gameplay and puzzles. Liked the acid and ice flasks to get rid of the zombies.
    Got fed up with Zombies.
    Lovely atmosphere, enjoyed the objectives and good placement of AIs. The ship was great. I liked being able to switch on the lights to see a bit more. My only niggle was finding my way to the ship, then realising I couldn't get back to the town (I hadn't finished there) - though I did find a large crate and clumsily managed to jump back over a wall! An enjoyable romp though an old dock.
    For me, this submission best captured the essence of a "lost" setting. It truly felt like people once lived and worked in this environment and that I was the first living person to explore these ruins since they were abandoned a long time ago.
    Really enjoyed the mission, especially once I managed to open the gate to the dock area. Exploration of the ship was a great experience! Level of difficulty was just about right.
    A good "Old Quarter" experience. The feeling of decay and abandonment is well realised, the AI patrols are well-placed, and it is a fun place to explore.
    I've enjoyed this mission but for me it has nothing to do in a "Lost Places Contest"
    It was hard to choose the best mission. All of these three have its highs and flaws. But this one has the most interesting story and combines it with dark and pressing aura of old and lost city district. I cannot say that there's some new and groundbreaking gameplay features though.
    This was ok, classic thief, nothing really special though. Nice work, good fun, few surprises.
    I liked that you included several secrets------I'm still missing 2 but I'll just have to play it again! Secrets are great because you can still complete the mission even though you're missing some things. Looking forward to more from you!
    Last edited by Brethren; 14th Nov 2017 at 11:50.

Southquarter.com/fms
    User comments for Eye of the Gems: Shadow and Fog, by Terra:

Great mission had the feel of some of my favorite authors! Atmosphere was gloomy and scary can't wait for more!!
    Very well done visually, but the endless "find a hidden lever to continue" got old quick and I had to go to the forum several times for clues. I was very happy to find the spiders - something to shoot the broadheads at! (Having no blackjack or sword also made this harder.)
    Great atmosphere. Shocking effects. Nice!
    The atmosphere in this mission was spectacular. It was very dark and did actually frighten me a few times. The length was very good, the mission never seemed to end, but in a good way, as I enjoyed my time. I really enjoyed the puzzle gameplay, however searching for a small, hidden switch to open a gate did get rather old. Fortunately, most of the puzzles were well done. The books documenting the story were engaging, I wanted to figure out what was going on. Overall, this mission was a joy to play, in all aspects.
    This is an excellent mission in all aspects.
    I was only a bit annoyed about all of these mushrooms everywhere, because it made me think I had to explore them if they were loot.
    Not difficult, but great atmosphere.
    I liked the visuals effects and the setting, altough I couldn't understand how the dead thief was still able to hold his sword or why the statues had genitals. I did have a hard time finding all the small levers so I ended up looking a lot on the forums.
    Great level design, a bit simple and repetitive sometimes but still captivating for the eye sight , Interesting story and a enjoyable gameplay despite some unfair puzzles.
    Didn't even bother to finish this one, unlike the others.
    Too much fog, switched it off in video settings after a while. Excellent otherwoise.
    Atmospheric derelict castle, spooky and sinister. I enjoyed the gameplay and puzzles - needed forum help a couple of times, as I didn't find many clues as to what was needed/where levers were. Great in-game map - I love having a map to make notes, plus I have no sense of direction, so maps always get a thumbs up from me. Excellent mission overall.
    It's certainly the prettiest and spookiest of the contest submissions, but searching for switches got a bit frustrating at times, and the castle's linear layout felt too unrealistic to me.
    Absolutely gorgeous! (Even the marbling at the bottoms of the pillars was reflective?!?! HOW?!) Great use of music, and fog. Incredibly atmospheric. Nice readables, too.
    But I found the gameplay somewhat lackluster. It was a lot of running around, scouring for hard to find stuff (vials, switches, etc...). Some cerebral stuff too, but nothing particularly challenging. A lot of the puzzles sort of made me think "but why?" For example "why would there be a switch right there?" or "Why would Garrett know to shoot the target?" Perhaps I missed some clues that would have made it all more logical.
    Impressive mission, but not my cup of tea.
    Beautiful mission, but felt very tedious. Lots of hidden things to find, and not a lot of help finding them.
    Very well designed, great atmosphere, scary, simply wonderful!
    Beautiful! But the game itself was quite frustrating, as you just had to root around everywhere looking for random items in random places. I gave up.
    Some readables giving clues as to the position of some of the harder to find gems could make this game a little more fun.
    Last edited by Brethren; 14th Nov 2017 at 11:34.

User comments for Eye of the Gems: Shadow and Fog, by Terra:
    Thanks Brethren for the Comments, it's feels good to read this, at this point thanks to all the thief fans, I know there is a lot that can make better in the future. I hope next year there will be more contest.

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    Congrats to all and thanks for the missions!
    Any hint who trefoilknot is? I assume it's a pseudonym created for the contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Think you'll find he a newbie author. He sent me a PM thanking me my comments about his mission in the Brief Summaries, and although I don't know his age, I got the impression he is a young lad, so let's hope we'll see lot more from him in future years.
    Maybe a young-ish lad. I'm just highly excitable. Let's just say, I've been playing Thief since it first came out in 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Trefoilknot is a new author indeed, but based on this contest entry and the level of questions he's asking in TEG, I think we have a lot of great things to expect from him in the coming years. He's already working on another mission I do believe.
    Yes, I'm working on something new, but it probably won't see the light of day for quite some time, yet. I will say that its working title is "Hilbert's Grand Hotel," and I'm shooting for Bertrand's Forgotten Tomb meets The Den meets Rowena's Curse. It'll have a similar flavor to BFT, with a heavy focus on puzzles/abstract thinking (sorry for those of you who weren't into it!) but will have a more dynamic story, and more varied environs.
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 14th Nov 2017 at 17:05.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    As long as the puzzles are logical and don't require blind luck or arbitrary guessing, I'm all for it. I still need to play all three releases from this contest, and look forward to playing yours.