TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Nioh, from Team Ninja (PS4)

Level 10,000 achieved

Nioh, from Team Ninja (PS4)

So, this looks pretty cool, and I just found out that there's an "Alpha Demo" available in the PS Store, until the 5th. Gonna have to download it when I get home and give it a go.

Release date is sometime this year, and here's some Destructoid HYPE!

Looks kind of silly as well, but in a very cool way. Love the shark and puppy summons, and the visceral action looks great already.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh, seems like most Japanese games, even big budget AAA-titles(MGS, Dark Souls), always have a silly streak to them. I like that that's such an ingrained part of the "mainstream videogame formula" over there. Sure western big budget games try to at least have some comedy relief as well, but then it's mostly in the form of the "wacky" buddy NPC who likes pancakes and rocketlaunchers and is "lol so random". I prefer the way the Japanese do it.

btw demo downloading!
    Last edited by henke; 3rd May 2016 at 10:49.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've been playing the Nioh demo all evening and I haven't even finished it yet. It's big. Physically it's not that big an area, but you'll spend a lot of time dying and starting over, inching forward into a new area with your sword raised, wondering if maybe you should head back to the bonfire before you loose all your souls out here. I was wondering if I'd be able to talk about this game without bringing up Dark Souls, but there's no way. Team Ninja sure as hell talked about it during the development, as the Souls template is clear in the design. From the interface, to the RPG systems, to the combat, to the way you unlock shortcuts back to the bonfire, to the fatroll at 70%. Souls fans will feel right at home.

There are differences though. Combat initially feels a bit clunkier, before you get used to it. It's possible to attack in different directions while locked on to an enemy, meaning I sometimes ended up swinging my sword to the right or left while circling an enemy and hitting the attack button, expecting to attack forward. Perhaps the most punishing difference is that in this game your character actually gets winded when running out of stamina. Whereas in Souls you can still move at regular speed and block(tho you'll get staggered if hit) when the stamina is depleted, here your character pauses and catches his breath for a second, leaving you wide open to attack. This got me killed a lot before I learned to be more conservative in my attacks. There's no backstab animation, but attacks from behind do cause higher damage. I like the bows in this. A headshot at an unsuspecting enemy is usually a kill, however if he's wearing a helmet the shot will just knock it off, leaving him less armored, but more pissed off. Also, holding down right shoulder button and pressing cross, square or triangle will toggle between fast, medium and strong stances, which is a really cool mechanic, and well implemented.

What else can I say? It felt like I was playing a Souls game, but with a few new wrinkles. I can't say much about the story yet. I'll continue playing tomorrow night, I've made it to the 3rd bonfire(they're not actually bonfires), and I still have a small fishing village to get through, at the very least, before the demo is over.

Looks interesting. I remember reading about this game a while ago but haven't had time to try the demo which is a shame. Everything I've seen though just makes me wish for another Onimusha game.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    ... I was wondering if I'd be able to talk about this game without bringing up Dark Souls, but there's no way...
    It's resemblance to DS was one of the first things that I thought about as well but didn't mention it as I don't want to give the impression that it's the only game that I play (even that is not that far from the truth sometimes, given the amount of hours that I've put into it).

Level 10,000 achieved
    The main reason I didn't wanna bring up DS(and why I didn't put this in the Souls forum) is that the first time I played Dark Souls it reminded me of Ninja Gaiden, and I figured Nioh would be more a natural progression from that. But after having played the demo, the DS influence is undeniable.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Some gameplay bits and pieces I recorded.

Haven't beaten the demo yet! Kinda stuck on a difficult miniboss actually.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok, after another evening playing the demo, I beat that miniboss, made it through the fishing village. Now it seems I can explore a ship in the harbor or head into some caves by the beach.

Is this the full game or something? It just goes on and on.

verbose douchebag
    Is Demon's Souls playable on a PS4? Because I feel like I'm running out of excuses.

No.

Seems like there is kind of a horror theme going on - is that true? Would love that!

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerker View Post
    No.
    Poop.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by TannisRoot View Post
    Seems like there is kind of a horror theme going on - is that true? Would love that!
    I wouldn't say straight-up horror, but there is a lot of ghoststory stuff. When you pick up the item of a dead body you often hear their last thoughts, and a lot of the time it's pretty grim stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Is Demon's Souls playable on a PS4? Because I feel like I'm running out of excuses.
    If you can wait about a year-ish, PS3 emulation should have improved enough to play it. Been following the progress of one emulator for the system. Slowly coming along.

Demon's Souls has licensing issues that make it unlikely to be ported. While I'd absolutely love to play a remastered edition, it's not the holy grail of souls games and the games since have smoothed out the rough edges. It's worth picking up a $100 dollar used ps3 to play it, but don't feel like you're missing out if you haven't. The series has come a long way since.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Made it to the Boat Boss last night. First time against him I probably took 70% out of his lifebar but on the next 10 attempts I rarely got past 50%, despite using all the tricks I had accumulated up my sleeve by then. Welp, I guess the demo is over now since we're past 5.5, but I'm definitely looking forward to the full game. I do hope they remove the punishing "out of breath" mechanic. That shit is more aggravating than fun.

The public beta is open until September 9th. Anyone playing? There have been some pretty extensive changes since alpha. What changes do you like / dislike? Do you think it's a better game? What do you think of the new level? Have you experimented with the skill trees? Is it a day one purchase for you?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    It's resemblance to DS was one of the first things that I thought about as well but didn't mention it as I don't want to give the impression that it's the only game that I play (even that is not that far from the truth sometimes, given the amount of hours that I've put into it).
    There is absolutely no shame in playing Dark Souls too much, Twisty. Hell, I'd even debate there is such a thing.

A heads up for those who didn't see it in the Souls Series subforum:

Nioh is comming to Steam