TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blender Error (Export to bin)

first what is the N panel? when i load some objects they were build in several parts, and i can't for example use the decimate tool in all parts at the same time, i can move all parts manually, but i can't move them all automatically in a way that they get to be centered in a precise position so when i can use them in dromed their solid shape is well aligned with the objects.

If you want to combine multiple objects into one, select them and press Ctrl+J.
    If you want to change the position of an object's pivot, place the 3D cursor at the right spot, select the object and click Object | Transform | Origin to 3D Cursor in the viewport menu.
    If you want to move multiple separate objects at once to a particular spot, place the 3D cursor at the spot, press Shift+S and click Selection to Cursor (Offset).
    The N panel is the right-hand panel in the viewport (and some other editors). You toggle it by pressing N or by using the + icon at the right edge of the viewport.

Thanks Neymax, the ctrl+j works well , all objects become one. But then i can only use one texture for this model right? so before uniting the pieces into one i should apply the texture to each different piece before making them one sing object?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    i can only use one texture for this model right?
    You can use any number of textures you fancy.

Thank you Nemyax

So i presume that even after New dark 1.25 we´re still limited t use objects only around 2000 faces?

Yes, but the object face limit is nothing to do with NewDark; it's a limitation of bsp.exe (which creates the .bin files) and/or the .bin file format.

I don't think that's right. I mean, yes, it is not specific to NewDark. It applies to all Dark engine versions. BUT ... I can create over 3000 poly objects, and the dark engine can display them in editor mode, but they fail in game mode. bsp.exe will create valid file with large numbers of polys, but the dark engine (any version) does not support them. One thing to note is that the dark engine will accept higher poly AI mesh bins than it does object bins. I'm not certain why since LGS modeling for AIs never takes advantage of this, but you can get upwards of 4000 poly models with AIs if you are lucky. It really comes down to how the engine treats the specific model for rendering. Some models with high polys will be OK and others with about the same number of polys will cause the engine to puke.

Thank you both, someone would have to update later the bsp.exe?

Nothing wrong with bsp. It is a Dark engine issue.

Well, that's not right either. There are things wrong with bsp. Maybe lots of things, but the poly count issue isn't one of them. That is a Dark engine issue.
    Last edited by LarryG; 13th May 2017 at 09:54.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to open mdl.files with blender?

Thanks Larry G, but that tool applies for other formats not mdl. formats like the objects in this site:

http://www.opserver.de/coni_users/we...au/models.html

I do have half-life 2 though so maybe i can have some use for the tools you showed me.

http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/

I just google to find them. You can too.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/

I just google to find them. You can too.
    Wow! a online converter, this great Larry G! Many thanks! it works i can convert them into obj.

i noticed that when editing 3ds. objects and when i export them to bin.file their textures appear with single colors ,like the resolution of the texture was 0 or 1. is it possible to fix this in blender?

Yes. If it looks okay in Blender, there's probably a faulty material or texture setting.

In the material panel on the right, make sure the name doesn't contain any double quotes.
    https://docs.blender.org/manual/ja/d...bject-mode.png

The chequered button next to it shows the textures associated with the selected material.
    Check the texture name:

(see the bottom of the image)
    It should end with the extension and not something like .001 or .002 etc. Those numbers may appear if you use a texture on several materials. If necessary, use the image icon on the left to choose the one without the extra numbers.

You also need to make sure each material is assigned to the correct faces. Go to edit mode, deselect all faces ('A' to toggle) and select each material and click on Select. To make corrections, select faces, select a material and click Assign.

Blender is a bit weird with how it handles materials and textures. You don't necessarily see what's been assigned. To make it easy, there's a plugin called Material Utils. To to User Preferences > Addons, search for it and enable it.

Then in 3D view, press Shift Q, Specials > Material to Texface.
    Last edited by R Soul; 26th Jul 2017 at 13:28.

Thank you Robin, i´ll try those steps.

For example when i apply this texture:

and when i convert the 3ds object to .bin file i see the texture like this:

ok this is the thirth time i have a problem with an object, when i exported this model from blender to Bin. file , the model appears in game mode transparet with the surfaces that are facing me:

How can i fix this in Blender?

Such models have either a sorting problem OR what's more common the normals are just exported the wrong way - I guess that is the problem.

Open it in Blender select everything and search for Flip Normals (or so). In the View Menu on the right you can also enable to show normals and you see in which directions they are pointing.

Thanks Daaran, i got the problem solved by trying different things in the edit mode» shadings/ uv and selected flip directions, the object now appears in game mode in perfect conditions!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12