TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Weird AI problem

Weird AI problem

I encountered a very strange problem related to enemy AI.

I have a guard standing in a tunnel, and when I move an inch he would hear it even from like 50 meters. And when I say I move an inch I literally mean it. That guy is sensitive as hell. I tried lowering his alertness and senses, but nothing seems to work. I have several other guards, both patrolling and standing idly, yet none of them have this issue. I suspect there might be something with the room brush or such since any AI I place there react the same way. Any ideas what might be the problem here?

When I saw the title I thought it was a Weird Al Yankovic problem.

Did you try using smaller room brushes in sections of the long tunnel? Are you using tile or marble textures?

Haha, not exactly.

I haven't tried using smaller room brushes because it's not that long of a tunnel. I'll try to post a screenshot in a minute. The texture is asphalt.

The room brush begins where the player stands and I marked its end with a Hammerite. The overly sensitive NPC stands on the right side, not far from the Hammer dude.

Edit: I also divided the long room brush into two, but that didn't solve the problem either.
    Last edited by Cavalorn; 11th Aug 2017 at 14:39.

I've been doing some testing with patrols in the same area and they act a bit weird too. It's not as bad as with the standing guard, but when the patrol reaches the site of the idle guard (which is, by the way, observing a burning apartment with 2 dead civilians inside), he gets alerted for a mere second, but then he continues his patrol. I assume it only lasts for one second because the room is inaccessible. I've been following the patrol closely behind, very carefully, and he did not hear me. The standing dude, on the other hand, would hear me sneaking right at the beginning of the tunnel.

Is it possible maybe that room is what causing the trouble somehow? I wanted to place a guard there to observe the sight, but cannot make it work for the aforementioned reason.

Edit: Now I am confident that scene causes their alertness and my issue. There is also a broken window there so I unchecked the "suspicious" tab in hopes of solving it but nothing. What can I do to make the guards ignore that scene and avoid getting alerted?

Edit2: "Only Notices Player" apparently did the trick!
    Last edited by Cavalorn; 11th Aug 2017 at 17:26.

Are the room brushes overlapping other room brushes? Maybe the AI is being alerted by something outside of that room... A falling object or AI on a different team. Does changing the AI's hearing to 'null' give you the same result? Did you try deleting the AI and adding it again? Sorry for all of the questions but I'm just trying to cover all of the bases. If you change the AI team to neutral and he still alerts then it would have to be a reason other than Garrett.
    Last edited by john9818a; 12th Aug 2017 at 14:06. Reason: Fixed typo

The alert was caused by that room, there's no doubt about that now. I still have no clue what might have caused that reaction but at least they ignore the room now since I applied the "Only Notices Player" command.

You don't need to feel sorry at all. These questions actually help me to pay attention to these things in the future. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

If you have some dead bodies in that room, that may raise their alertness. Having only notices player is one way of solving this. Another way would be to maybe give the bodies an AI team set to neutral.

Thanks, GORT, that sounds like a great idea too.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    By default AI should ignore placed corpses.

The funny thing is that they did most of the time, except for that room. My mission is littered with corpses and the AI weren't bothered by those at all. And of course, I used the same setting for each and every dead body. I couldn't, and still can't, understand what is going on with that room. Maybe it's not the dead bodies after all.

Hmmm... What objects are in that room? As john9818a mentioned earlier, do you have any objects like barrels, crates, or similar objects there? Barrels are known for this due to them needing to sometimes be placed a bit above ground in order to keep their physical parameters. (I had to deal with this in a few of my city missions.)

Also, is the starting point pretty far away from that room? If so, there's a good chance that the AIs might not get alerted by whatever it is in that room.

No barrels in that room, but I have some elsewhere and I know what you're talking about. They are so annoying, had to use "location" when placing them and they might still fall a bit...

As for the starting point: this is literally on the other side of the map.

You cannot enter the room, by the way. Here are two screenshots:

Last edited by Cavalorn; 12th Aug 2017 at 18:30.

Hmmm... You're using the meta-property M-PoseCorpse on these bodies, right? (Or a custom version of it?)

Not on these. The guy uses the sitting pose, while the lady uses none whatsoever. M-PoseCorpse's pose wouldn't have matched with my idea here. I only set their current mode to dead.

Setting their Current Mode to dead is what causes the AI to become alerted. I would make a child of M-PosedCorpse and add your own pose. M-PosedCorpse doesn't change the Current Mode to dead but it does add a post and change the AI's AI -> Behavior Set to Null.
    Last edited by john9818a; 12th Aug 2017 at 20:59.

Mystery solved then. I had really no idea this would alert the guard. Thank you, everyone, for your contribution in the search for the ultimate answer to this issue.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Yes indeed. The M-PosedCorpse metaproperty has the AI > AI Core > AI property set to null, which is what makes other AI ignore the body.

Always glad to learn something new. Now I can finally place a spectator or two back at the window.

Russ got it more right than I did. That's what I get for watching TV while posting here.