TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: META: Why do we do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebug View Post
    Right on, man! I loved coding Commodore 64 basic, slaving all day to make a bouncing cube. IFTHEN, GOTO, GOSUB! Brings back memories.
    Yeah, I got my start programming in BASIC on the C64. I got a magazine (C64 World, something like that), that had programs in the end you had to type in by hand, and I'd do it ... sometimes tweaking things. Then I started making some of my own games. Lol, Goto ... no programming language would be caught dead with that today, but back in the day I used it all the time. I also made games on my TI-85. Then it was Pascal on a 486, then C++. It's a wonder I didn't go into programming. But now I'm pretty content with modding.

Edit: By the way, I don't know why it didn't occur to me before, but you can program on a C64 emulator and save it to a "floppy disk" file, that I think isn't even size restricted (?). I should try out some of the old BASIC skills on it. Might be fun...

Man, that takes me back. I used to watch my older brother type code for hours on the C64. At one point he made a small animation program that allowed you to string 21(iirc) frames together. We had too much fun with that thing

I'm blown away by what people are still doing musically with the C64. Some of the stuff that came out this year is actually pretty incredible. Do a google search for .sid files if anyones interested. The HVSC website has 1000's of music files (including most if not all of the old game music)

I guess it ages me that I used to play ... Startrek I think it was called ... on an IBM 360. If I remember right that was coded in Fortran IV, or maybe BAL. It was a text game. No graphics except what you could show on a teletype or raster display terminal ... I remember not being any good at it. But that was close to 40 years ago.

OMG, I can't believe you played that Larry. So did I and it was back in the mid '70's. Talk about wasting paper!

Good God do I remember those days--FORTRAN, PASCAL, even PROLOG (which really sucked as the AI therapist kept trying to have me committed).

Ricebug, yeah I loved all of those cutting-edge technology magazines predicting the future. Then Radio Shack introduced the Tandy 1000, and Sierra came out with Leisure Suit Larry...and life suddenly became good.

It's funny to think that even now, DOS has become a foreign language to most users under 25. Hell, I used DOS recently to rename the extensions on a bunch of WMA files to MP3, so I could play them on my mp3 player (gotta love DOS's use of wildcards). But, I could have bought the $30.00 program to convert the files for me...
    Last edited by Queue; 26th Nov 2008 at 13:05.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I started in BASIC on the TRS-80 in my junior high library. We had no way to save the programs, so we'd type them in and play them, then POOF they were gone. I think at some point the librarian got a cassette player, but we never figured out how to save and load.

In 1982 my dad got us an Apple II+, and I immediately started learning how to write in Apple BASIC, using both lo and hi res graphics modes. IIRC lores had 16 colours and hires had 8, although 2 were white and 2 were black... the others were, what? blue, orange, green and purple I think. I made several games and also made a very basic graphics program where you moved the cursor around with the keyboard and set the colour of every pixel in the image. And I actually made fullscreen images using it! Then I was really excited when we got The Graphics Magician.

Then in the early 90's I found POV-Ray (freeware raytracer) and learned how to code for it, which is kind of an object-oriented C (objects but no classes).

My first foray was in Jr high on an Apple II. We got to draw a picture.

We had to draw per color per pixel, or a line of pixels. All hex dex or something.

Took me 6 months to finish a crude jack-o-lantern. Oh those were the days.

One of the older guys showed me how to do a little code for a text based game. something like

0 goto 10
    if 10 goto 15...
    if 15 'say hello'...

That was it until ThiefII, 3dsMax, Photoshop.

I'll never go back to that.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Yeah, I got my start programming in BASIC on the C64.

same here, i still got some stuff on those huge disks
    but it was fun

Quote Originally Posted by TypeRED View Post
    Time to clean out the attic or garage!

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeRED View Post
    but it was fun
    Funny how much bigger things seemed when we were young.

My first experience programming was in the mid 1970's before CRT's were common. The comp I programmed on used tickertape, large spools of paper tape that had to loaded and fed through a machine like threading film in a projector. You typed into an NEC input terminal and holes were punched in the tape. When you were done you took the tape out and threaded it into a tape reader which would read the holes and store the data on reel to reel tape on the mainframe. If you made a single mistake you had to start over from scratch cause the tape was useless. Imagine after 10,000 or more lines of code having to scrap the whole thing!

How many other venues give you a chance to be creative in so many ways? Story-telling, object creation, virtual world creation, game-play, ambient sound and voice over play-acting - I haven't actually released anything I've been working on "lo, these many years", but what a marvelous challenge it is, and so very satisfying when you manage to get it right.

My first programming was in 1974 on an RAF-sponsored course at Nottingham Uni. I wrote a Basic program to calculate the first 1000 prime numbers, which had to be input via punched cards. It didn't use any efficient algorithms such as the Sieve of Erasthones and fully occupied the ICL 1900 mainframe for 20 minutes!

The world. The lore. The characters. I love all of it and that with Dromed, we can continue on making fms and keeping Garrets (and many others taffers') stories alive. Plus the damn thing is just fun to use. I may sound insane by saying that though...

Because DromEd is quite universal in use, i don't know any such engine to work with so I could change most of aspects. Except those you have to code yourself, but that's a horrible pain to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ObservingEye View Post
    Plus the damn thing is just fun to use.
    Really. It's too obvious to be seen.

Plus the damn thing is just fun to use. I may sound insane by saying that though...
    Looks like somebody's idea of fun revolves around some kind of self-torture room

You don't like dromed and dark radiant is better, we get it !

I'm vegan.

Quote Originally Posted by Squadarofl View Post
    You don't like dromed and dark radiant is better, we get it !
    No, no, no, DR is awful too Writing scripts and materials in notepad is super geeky, and the editor doesn't even work in 2D views properly. (It detects objects by faces, not by wireframe, for whatever reason.) It's manageable at best, although Greebo is doing what he can to make it a bit better. Still, saying that any of the two is fun or versatile is like missing last 20 years of engines development Cry Engine, Unity, Unreal — they can be fun. Sometimes

Speaking of Unreal: the other day I was working on a landscape, but hadn't saved in a while, so it decided to crash and I had to redo all the latest edits... It reminded me of a certain other dark demon god -- before New Dark came along and made the goats a little happier. Unreal, on the other hand, seems to crave attention more than goat's blood, because it can crash if you just let it sit for a while without using it. It's a bit like when you summon a demon, but don't tell it to do anything, so, naturally, it gets restless. Not that Unreal is much of a demon; it's more like the reanimated corpse of a pink my little unicorn. CryEngine, the little I used it, felt more like the dark demon DromEd is, requiring you to dig up the most obscure tomes of yore in order to command it -- although it seems to have been promoted to ground level now. Unity is most likely also some kind of undead, but I'm not sure which.

DromEd will always be my favourite ancient demon god: I had a lot of fun with it. Then why, you might ask, did I stop using it? Because it was too much fun, of course. Not a day goes by without me thinking of returning and put my ceremonial cutlery to good use again, but not only is my cutlery rusty, I also have other undead to feed and they might get jealous.
    Last edited by qolelis; 2nd Feb 2018 at 08:43.

Oh, Unreal can be much worse than that. With more complex lights and scenes in UDK, lightmap baking take ages, and debugging stuff, like weird shadows in strange places can be a lot of pain. Default ambient occlusion setting looks like someone smearing charcoal everywhere, in realtime (and good luck with setting that to something more decent). Constant updates in UE4 can mess up your shaders or your blueprints; good luck with finding the cause when you're not a programmer. I'm scared of Unity, so I'm not even touching it That said, when UE editors work, they're pure pleasure. Drag and drops, node systems, realtime shader preview, fast, snappy controls, involving as little coding as possible — that saves tons of time, and lets you focus on modeling, building, lighting etc. (basically the only thing I can do). Sadly, none of them has a stealth game system and AI to work with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12