TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: About the White objects and file structure

About the White objects and file structure

Hello and thank you for this great forum and resource..i see a lot of games here I am interested in and have come here first as it was Arx Fatalis and looking for a way to use the texture fix that brought me here.

I have the texture fix, the 2.0 zip but....my files for the game are zipped up into the pak file format and unzipping the texture set into the game folder results in just a GRAPH folder but i am not sure at all that will even work with the game files. I did install the 1.18 patch..which says it addresses the white object problem..will that fix it?

I just installed the game last night and it started up ok but i have not gone into it yet.i always try to patch first.

I have the arx pak viewer... will that allow me to open and insert the texture fix?

I also have the 1.19 patch but it is also in the open folder format and same problem as above...i have pak files and not open folders...

any advice is very very welcome and thanks again. I did not see a hello thread ...so hello for here.

Cris

UPDATE: well it looks like the 1.18 patch took care of the white object problem, the lever and other objects all texture ok so far....

I am still curious about the file set up tho... is it normal for the game folder to have just pak files and not the open file structure?
    Last edited by CrisGer; 17th Oct 2010 at 15:05.

Yes .pak files are the norm. Just like the patch you only need to unzip in the arx directory. Everything should run fine!

thanks very much for your reply.... what i dont understand and was concerned about..if i unzip the 1.19 patch into the game folder it just sets up stuff like GRAPH and 3Dobj folders that area just sitting there......they are NOT integrated into the .pak files. So do they still "work" or integrate with the game files? i had to learn to use and open .pak files when i studied the Jedi Knight Outcast and Academy games....but did not know how they worked here in AF.

Do i need to use the ArxPak editor to open the pak folders and get the 1.19 stuff into them?

I am trying to get the best install before playing

the contents of my game install are:

GRAPH (from 2.0 texture fix)
    misc
    obj3d (from the 2.0 texture fix)
    Save
    Arkane Studioes Internet
    ARX.RAQ.txt
    Arx.Fatalis.Internet
    ARX.exe
    Arx.patch_eng_1.18.txt
    Arx-patch_v1.17.txt
    Athena.dll
    cfg.ini
    data2.pak 2.11 MB
    data.pak 232 MB
    INSTALL.LOG
    JoWood Internet
    LOC.pak 204 kb
    SFX.pak. 43 MB
    SPEECH.pak 334 MB
    unixows.dll

No, you don't need to update the .pak file at all. The game will simply use those files in preference to the versions in the .pak. It provides a mechanism for over-riding individual resources without having to 'repack' them.

Hi Shadowcat...great and thanks very much, ok that will be great. glad to hear it.

Taking a break
    Hi, im playing this game for the first time, so far im loving it, but i also have this problem with certain objects and creatures that have their texture white as you see in the following pictures:

Does the lastest patch fixes this problem or do i need to do something more in order to fix this texture problem?

I have a video card ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series, and im also having problems with some object textures in the thief 2 missions :

DDfix, does not fix this, i wonder if im missing some other patch, or if i should change any setting of the ati catalist settings, any suggestion?

Which version of Arx are you running?

Yeah make sure you are running the latest patch. Its 1.19 I believe!

Taking a break
    Its fixed, ive installed the patch 1.18 and those white textures are gone , plus the player walks faster ocasionaly, there are fogs coming out from some grates, and there is a map in the top right corner of the interface, how can i remove this map? its compromising the game ahestics quality. Anyway Im loving this game, the architecture desing is superb, and the gameplay is very enjoyable anyway i dint find the patch 1.19. what new features does it brings?

1.19 is in another thread lower down in this forum. As for the map check the manual it should tell you how to disable it, or check the game controls. Hope this helps!

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingm View Post
    1.19 is in another thread lower down in this forum. As for the map check the manual it should tell you how to disable it, or check the game controls. Hope this helps!
    thanks, i guess i only add to press "r" to disable the map, it was a local pc magazine that offered this amazing game, but it has no manual, not even within the cd files . ill have to search in the net.

Oh I didn't realize you didn't have the manual. Sorry about that! You might try replacementdocs.com I believe it is. They are an excellent place to start.

Taking a break
    what can i do with a shovel? the manual does not mention what can i do with this tool. I know i can destroy unstable walls with the pickaxe, but what about the shovel?

Actually the shovel is used in a treasure quest. It's started by reading the sign on the wall near the one eyed man in the tavern upstairs. Once you find all the clues, you will have to dig up the treasure.

It is also useful for Goblins you meet in the lower areas that promise a buried treasure for your help. You have to find and dig that up too.

There may be other uses too but thats all I remember right now. You miight check the Arx Guide for others. Hope this helps!

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingm View Post
    Actually the shovel is used in a treasure quest. It's started by reading the sign on the wall near the one eyed man in the tavern upstairs. Once you find all the clues, you will have to dig up the treasure.

It is also useful for Goblins you meet in the lower areas that promise a buried treasure for your help. You have to find and dig that up too.

There may be other uses too but thats all I remember right now. You miight check the Arx Guide for others. Hope this helps!
    Thanks Stingm, i had a feeling i could use the shovel for that purpose, ive read the whole manual and also the unofficial guide and they dont mention anything about a shovel, one of them however mention about the pickaxe that can be use to destroy unstable walls and remove precious stones from the wall mines