TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: XCOM 2 Announced!!!!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Psst, there's a thing that XCOM does that basically means re-loading makes no difference to the outcome if you try the same action over and over again.
    Ah yes, I suspected something like that was going on.

I made a Garrett Voice Pack, for anyone who's interested. I think it's pretty decent, but if you think otherwise, feel free to tell me why on the steam page.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...chtext=garrett

Cheers.

verbose douchebag
    LONG WAR 2 MUDDUFUGGAZZZZZ!!!!

Seriously, get it. It's good.
    Be prepared to use more overwatch and flashbangs mind. It's a bit harder.

Moderator and Priest
    ERMAHGERD! LAWNG WHURRRRR!

...I never played the original, so I'm not quite sure what the hype is about. Might very well give this one a go though, since I was just thinking more XCOM2 would be a good thing right about now.

verbose douchebag
    It basically takes XCOM and makes you unable to play the original again. It makes the game a lot longer, adds additional classes, an entirely different mechanic on the strategic layer for initiating missions, allows you to be more strategic and it makes the game harder in a FAIR way, such that you only fuck up if you don't pay attention or forget to employ tactics, a la Dark Souls.

verbose douchebag

Looking good SoNnNnNnN!

I may even have gone ahead and been a dickhead and pre-ordered.

Moderator and Priest
    Damnit, Faetal. You dickhead.

verbose douchebag
    I know, I'm ruining it for everyone and I'm not even sorry.

While this thread's at the top, any tips for dealing with the Vipers? I thought I was doing well by using the cover and overwatch systems from the previous game, but these guys seem to negate cover entirely with their spit and grab attacks, and are borderline impossible to hit through overwatch.

Moderator and Priest
    The best thing to do is to use snipers to take them out from a distance. Barring that, attack them in pairs, so you'll always have one guy there to bail the other out in case he gets constricted.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 14th Jul 2017 at 23:18.

verbose douchebag
    For a start, I recommend this mod. Then, generally don't group your soldiers too much, as the AI will favour a spit over a shot if it can get 2 or more victims. Flashbangs or burning damage can prevent them using special attacks.

Incredibly early impressions of War of the Chosen:

Will power actually means something now. In a great move, it now serves as a stamina counter for your soldiers, forcing players to not just have an A-squad. Those PCS willpower upgrades might be actually worthwhile now.

The missions that integrate the new factions is quite well done. Anyone who is a fan of Star Trek will get a kick out of the actors they chose.

There are new mission types, and new map nodes and types. Both are incredibly welcome, particularly the new map nodes.

Boo boos so far:

Better video performance was promised. I'm not seeing it, as I'm still getting framerate drops on my GTX 1080 and core i5 Skylake CPU.

Also, at the end of the mission which introduced the faction leaders, the game hung and I had to log out of my user account to make it unstuck.

First edit: I am writing again because of another crash. This time after ordering a unit to fire at a target. Blah.

On the better side, this feels like the culmination of one of the big bits of design philosophy behind Nu-Xcom: interesting, exclusive choices.

With Xcom 2 and especially with Xcom 1, once a player got familiar with the mechanics there was a pretty set path both strategically and tactically. While Xcom 2 was more liberal in this regard, it still had a fairly set flow and set of decision trees. While some of the exact order of the tree branches could be swapped around at player discretion, the makeup of the beginning, middle and end were similar game to game.

With the expansion, there are simply too many choices to make to create an optimized build/tech tree that will serve all or most playthroughs.

They did this while cutting down on the unfairness. Players are given warning on the strategic map when boss enemies can or will appear, and other "randomized" elements designed to fuck with the player get properly signposted as well.

I'm loving every moment that isn't accompanied by crashes or lockups.

Second Edit:

God fucking dammit. Third crash. As awesome as the gameplay is, this is utterly unacceptable.
    Last edited by Maxmillion; 30th Aug 2017 at 01:57.

verbose douchebag
    I have noticed a significant performance boost and the visuals are way better too. I have been playing XCOM2 like the devil recently (LW2), so have fresh reference points.
    I've only played a couple of hours so far, so not seen too much of the new stuff yet, but I'm already liking what I see, and I have a "can't wait to get home" feeling which I haven't had for while.

Thing What Kicks
    I had a brief pop at it last night. Not enough to get into the meat of what's been added, but enough to say that I also saw massively improved performance. It just feels smoother all round, with no stuttering transitions (either between turns or when navigating the base) and a silky-smooth framerate. But then, since last playing XCOM 2, I've upgraded both my CPU and GPU. But judging based on the performance of other games and where the game experienced hitches before, I genuinely think they've spent time cleaning up the game.

I'll definitely be playing more tonight, and hopefully I won't get distracted by soldier customisation.

One undeniable benefit of the expansion is load times. I have Xcom 2 on a SSD, and with the vanilla version load times were still often 20-30 seconds with bigger missions. Now sometimes missions only take five seconds, and going back to the Avenger the button pops almost instantly.

Thing What Kicks
    You know about the caps-lock trick, right? Pre and post-mission loads could be hurried along significantly by hitting cap-lock, whereupon the frame would briefly freeze before popping up the continue button.

Yeah, I knew. But there's a difference between a hacky dev trick that could theoretically cause the game to crash and actual optimization. Also, another crash. Yahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Thing What Kicks
    Okay, I'm actually playing this now. Turn out that I initially wasn't because I didn't click the "War of the Chosen" bit on the launcher. I hesitate to call it a "button", because it looks like a boilerplate notifying you that WotC is installed. Harumph.

Anyhoo, so far I'm really digging it! I'm lucky in that I haven't had any crashes at all so far.
    So Max, I know how irritating it can be to have someone ask you this, but have you updated your system's drivers? Not just graphics, but motherboard, peripherals, etc?
    Have you checked for BIOS updates?
    What version of Windows are you running?
    When you say that it crashes, does it simply vaporise, or does it give you an error?
    Is there anything pertaining to the crash in your system logs in Computer Management?
    Are you running mods at all? I notice that all my old mods have warning signs against them in the launcher now and that a lot of mod makers are releasing WotC specific version of their mods on the Workshop.

But I digress; so far it's been pretty interesting. The new map templates I've experienced so far have been great (I'm really liking the sewer tunnels).
    Pistol wielders get to feel like gods versus the Lost.
    The tweaks to the camp defence missions are ace; it's great to see Resistance members actually fighting back for once.
    The Reaper class seems pretty cool (what with being able to move and snipe), but I'm less convinced with the Skirmisher (the default bullpup they get is wank).
    There's a lot more interesting things going on in the strategic view, and it feels like they've made some of the more boring base facilities more interesting.
    The Chosen themselves, I'm undecided on. I'll have to see how they pan out.

And that's about as far as I've got so far.

Is it worth playing the regular game before getting into the game with the expansion? With the first XCOM the consensus seemed to be that once Enemy Within was out, there was no reason to play vanilla XCOM.

Thing What Kicks
    I'd say it's pretty much the same with this. WotC merges with and adds to the existing campaign rather than being a standalone entity. And so far, everything it's added has been great.
    But do you really like turn-based games?

I do. They're not at the top of my list of favourite genres, and I don't like them if they get insanely complex, but I've greatly enjoyed games like Civ, Alpha Centauri and, yes, XCOM in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Okay, I'm actually playing this now. Turn out that I initially wasn't because I didn't click the "War of the Chosen" bit on the launcher. I hesitate to call it a "button", because it looks like a boilerplate notifying you that WotC is installed. Harumph.

Anyhoo, so far I'm really digging it! I'm lucky in that I haven't had any crashes at all so far.
    So Max, I know how irritating it can be to have someone ask you this, but have you updated your system's drivers? Not just graphics, but motherboard, peripherals, etc?
    Have you checked for BIOS updates?
    What version of Windows are you running?
    When you say that it crashes, does it simply vaporise, or does it give you an error?
    Is there anything pertaining to the crash in your system logs in Computer Management?
    Are you running mods at all? I notice that all my old mods have warning signs against them in the launcher now and that a lot of mod makers are releasing WotC specific version of their mods on the Workshop.

But I digress; so far it's been pretty interesting. The new map templates I've experienced so far have been great (I'm really liking the sewer tunnels).
    Pistol wielders get to feel like gods versus the Lost.
    The tweaks to the camp defence missions are ace; it's great to see Resistance members actually fighting back for once.
    The Reaper class seems pretty cool (what with being able to move and snipe), but I'm less convinced with the Skirmisher (the default bullpup they get is wank).
    There's a lot more interesting things going on in the strategic view, and it feels like they've made some of the more boring base facilities more interesting.
    The Chosen themselves, I'm undecided on. I'll have to see how they pan out.

And that's about as far as I've got so far.
    As to your initial questions, the answer is no. No other game has required me to do such things. Its not like I'm running ancient tech here. Everything but my storage is less than two years old. I'm running Windows 10, and I haven't checked the logs. The only mod I'm running is a minor bugfix already discovered and made by a player. There are never any errors windows, just straight up crashes or one time a total lockup.

Thing What Kicks
    Age doesn't really matter unfortunately when it comes down to things like this. My motherboard for example is almost 7 years old.
    Do check the Windows logs next time it crashes. There may very well be an indication of what's going wrong.
    It could also be something as obscure as peripheral driver faults. I recently upgraded my graphics card and CPU as previously mentioned, and after I fired my machine back up, I started getting BSoDs. Of course, my first assumption was that I had installed faulty components. But after checking the logs, I was able to determine it was a problem with a USB 2 device being plugged in to a USB 3 socket. Sure, in theory that should be possible, but moving the USB 2 device to a USB 2 socket completely fixed the problem.

This review makes me excited for the expansion, even though I've yet to play the main game:

It's odd: I've mostly gone off this kind of review, but I think it really works here.

Thing What Kicks
    It's expensive for what it is mind you Thirith. I feel it's worth it, but I'm a fan of the series.