TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Whoessa: Time Lady

The War Doctor was counted wasn't he? He's in one of the episodes. He was the one straight after the movie Doctor.

And David Tennant got 2 goes of it (as in 2 regeneration's) since he used that spare hand etc etc.

End of the day if their going to go the female Doctor route, then have it be a different Timelord. The Doctor is male. That's THE Doctor. I know he/it is a different person with each regeneration, but there is always a "core" element that is present across all generations.

So women can't be doctors? I think half of humanity missed that memo.

This is a tempest in a phonebox. Doctor Who (not Mr. Who) is a transdimensional being who reincarnates in different forms. What part of TRANS are you not getting?

And PC? Really? Anyone using that trite label as an argument should be required to sacrifice a gonad each time.

I guess it's just eyebrow-raising the form was always a male 12 times in a row, those are some crazy odds. I don't think anyone here has one single issue at all about lead women roles, and are in fact supportive of them.

The doctor is a time travelling alien, who gives a shit if he has human mammary glands. Not that I actually care that much anyway, dr who is shit.

Still Subjective
    I hate the rebooted Dr Who but gender changing has been part of the universe so shut your misogyny right up in your stupid faces.

It's only been part of it since Capaldi's run of the show, making this more of a retcon. Was never mentioned ever in the shows entire run (1950s - now) until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    So women can't be doctors? I think half of humanity missed that memo.
    Doctors - Yes
    The Doctor - No

He/it would have gone that way from day 1 otherwise.

I'm all for women's lib and all that, but the Doctor is male. Always has, always should be. If they want to change it, they should change to a different character / alien. I might stop watching the show after the Christmas episode. Some change is good/great, but too much change changes the very makeup / feel of the show.

I dunno. I need to think on it. Very disappointed in the BBC over this. They'll be losing quite a few longtime fans over it.

I hear the next doctor will be a muslim refugee in a sonic burqa!

People like icemann are just dropping un-necessary barriers in front of their own enjoyment of the show. Nothing about the doctor requires the character to stay male.

Ba dum dush.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    I guess it's just eyebrow-raising the form was always a male 12 times in a row, those are some crazy odds.
    Oh, I don't know. Stuff like that happens in RL, afterall. Just sayin'.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/29/health...ons/index.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/175496...et-a-daughter/

I heard the next Doctor is going to be a morbidly obese, gender fluid, episcopalian Mexican with an extra chromosome and tinnitus.

Spot on, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    It's only been part of it since Capaldi's run of the show, making this more of a retcon. Was never mentioned ever in the shows entire run (1950s - now) until then.

Doctors - Yes
    The Doctor - No

He/it would have gone that way from day 1 otherwise.

I'm all for women's lib and all that, but the Doctor is male. Always has, always should be. If they want to change it, they should change to a different character / alien. I might stop watching the show after the Christmas episode. Some change is good/great, but too much change changes the very makeup / feel of the show.

I dunno. I need to think on it. Very disappointed in the BBC over this. They'll be losing quite a few longtime fans over it.
    You're filling out a fair few squares on this bingo card, icemann:

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post

Hence "those are some crazy odds". Will they explain it? No. We all know why the character has been male since the 60s.

Better late than never I guess, I do actually support this, but they are far too late; it really does smack of responding to societal change rather than being an innocent, honest artistic choice.
    Last edited by Abysmal; 17th Jul 2017 at 08:00. Reason: wrong decade woops

What's next, fannies in the smoking room???

Quote Originally Posted by Buccura View Post
    Perhaps, I don't know, we won't know until the 11 season next year. Also there was in incarnation in between 8 and 9 known as the War Doctor, but isn't counted among the numbering because reasons. Either way Capaldi is the 13th incarnation technically... even though he's known as 12 because... look Doctor Who is confusing and weird the whole show is full of inconsistencies and things that don't make sense, even before the revival series.
    It's retconned.

The entire series, especially after Moffat took over, suffers from extremely shitty meta writing.

That said I'm kinda "meh" about this overall. I'm open to the new actor's performance being great....but I also thought it was completely stupid when they suddenly retconned the regenerating idea. It made more sense originally when the process was more like a reptile or insect shedding it's old skin. I just don't get how the genitals change.

It also doesn't help that I absolutely hated Missy.

Personally I think it would be more interesting to introduce another series with a female time-lord lead. That way we'd have a new character free from all the shitty meta-writing that's in the Doctor's timeline, and she could establish her own unique character traits rather than just being gender-swapped doctor.

I guess it's just eyebrow-raising the form was always a male 12 times in a row, those are some crazy odds. I don't think anyone here has one single issue at all about lead women roles, and are in fact supportive of them.
    I just hate gender swaps.

Beyond Good and Evil, Alien, Frozen, Jessica Jones, Kill Bill.....none of those would have worked with a male lead. Similarly Ghostbusters simply did not work with a male lead, and a lot of other movies out there with male leads simply would not work with a gender swap. Just think about of "supernatural" had instead had two female leads acting like Dean and Sam. Even trying to have "female version of" characters like lightning in Final Fantasy (where they literally said "draw up a female version of Cloud") or Star Wars (female Luke aka Rey) haven't really worked.

Great example is 30 Rock. That show would have been boring as shit if the Liz Lemon character had been male.

Wishing that everyone was completely androgynous and gender didn't impact how people react socially is a fantasy, and writers would be better served using that than trying to pretend it doesn't exist.

Instead of trying to do "female version of X character" how about instead come up with a female lead that's actually interesting and unique?
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 17th Jul 2017 at 11:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post

Assuming 50/50 odds.....the probability is 0.5^12...so roughly 1/50th of 1 percent odds.

Welll, the probability of what, exactly? Having 12 male doctors, or the next doctor also being male? Hang on, re-reading, misunderstood the argument.

Of having 12 previously in a row....actually forgot about the 13th, so make that 1/100th of 1% odds.

Point is its a retcon created to appeal to the film's fanbase, and we shouldn't pretend otherwise. The show has a long history of nonsensical retcons created at the whim of different authors.

Well at least they're not making an American version, starring Luke Perry and a babe with a huge racket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Point is its a retcon created to appeal to the film's fanbase, and we shouldn't pretend otherwise.
    Which is pretty much what I've been saying.

Have it be a completely new Timelord with her own unique back story. That would = far better writing and fit just fine with both old and new. To say that your either in support of it or your sexist is just plain stupid. I used the James Bond reference as that is the only thing I could of that featured British male actors + actor changes every few years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    To say that your either in support of it or your sexist is just plain stupid.
    What do you mean!?......Everyone knows that we must corrupt every classic universe with identity politics, otherwise that universe automatically becomes sexist and racist!...

What we really need is a scene with a gay Dalek getting it on with a trans Cyberman in a rainbow TARDIS!...

It's a perfectly valid opinion to prefer a character be male or female. It's just a style choice and has nothing to do with the actors' employment opportunities or gender representation. It's also fine to like this move and be open to change. Anyone shouting down those for or against this are being oppressive assbags on two sides of the same coin.

That's what I'm sayin'!...Rainbow TARDIS FTW!...

Is it politically correct to want girls to watch your show? I don't think so. Is it politically correct to appeal to girls by casting a female lead? I don't think it is. That's just common sense.

Probably they just wanted to widen the audience beyond the (presumably) older male sci-fi geek crowd, so they could sell more expensive ad slots and maybe increase the show's budget. Will they lose some of their long time viewers? Sure they will. But they're probably calculating it will be more than offset by new viewers.

Spot on, Chris.

I love you, Purg!...You always get me...