TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief the Circle problem

Thief the Circle problem

Hello fellow taffers!

For the past month i've been unable to acces http://www.thief-thecircle.com/ as well as The keepers chapel.
    I've been searching for solutions but i've been unable to find any. Is the site down? If so is it comming back?
    Even google seems unable to locate it.

Please help me out. Tis a glorious site and i miss it soo!

Cheers, Neutor!

Greetings,

There's already a thread:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142777

Looks like the only way to access is through an archive.

And not only this, Komag's site is down.

Thank you very much!

Still I'd love to know what's the reason. Is there a money issue? Have creators abandoned the sites?
    And more importantly what can we do to get them running again? Donate maybe?

I know there's a fall of active thief fans but being a new generation (1990) of thief fans I'm sure thief trilogy along with fan missions will attract new followers.

You raise some good points.

Right now Thief has been modernised a lot, with high-res texture packs and patches that allow to run it on a modern hardware. There are new missions that get released. Tutorials for DromED are still written...

Yet it seems that what we really lack is a portal about Thief.

We do need a new one that gets regularly updated.

It's generally a DNS problem which does get resolved from time to time. It's not for financial reasons.

What are you looking for?

Edit. gnartsch keeps his portal up-to-date. It all depends on what you want to know.
    Last edited by nickie; 23rd Jan 2015 at 12:36. Reason: Oops I edited the wrong post.

Technically the site is up - it's just like getting to 'The Lost City'.

Depending on your OS, open the specified file with a simple editor:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (assuming you are on Windows)
    /etc/hosts (assuming you are on Linux)

Adding this line resolves the DNS resolution issue for you.
    But keep in mind that this local workaround is now on your system.
    Code:
    74.208.213.90     www.thief-thecircle.com

On Windows this file is typically protected by antivirus software, assuming you have any reasonable antivirus software installed.
    Depending on the vendor you either need to disable the protection of the 'hosts' file somewhere, or confirm it's modification.
    If your system allows you to change it without any nagging, then you can be sure that the protection of your system is rubbish.
    Last edited by gnartsch; 23rd Jan 2015 at 12:15.

Anyone got an ip for KeepOfMetalandGold as well?

That one is down (forever).

Southquarter.com/fms
    Interesting that Komag keeps shadowdarkkeep.com up and running, and then neglects keepofmetalandgold.com. There's much more demand for the latter, I would think.

(FYI, keepofmetalandgold.com expires in April of this year. Wonder if he'll renew.)

If I recall correct, Komag had turned his interest towards TDM at that time already.
    So he decided to host the TDM missions along with the T3 missions on ShadowDarkKeep.
    Also the traffic regarding the T1/T2 missions were too high - and along with that the costs to keep KeepOfMetalandGold up.
    Now, at that time thiefmissions.com was still up to date and it didn't seem to hurt to drop the work to maintain all the missions himself and at the same time get rid of the costs.
    Now, unfortunately ... thiefmissions is way behind with respect to the FMs and there is no other site around which allows you to easily check for new missions.

epithumia isn't always in a position these days to update thiefmissions on a regular basis but from time to time, when he can, he does his best to get the site updated. But you keep the 'missing missions' updated and I'll remind him of that when he's next in town.

Good to hear that the circle is not gone for good. I've had a long break from playing Thief, and feared the worst when the site wasn't accessible when i was about to take it up again. I have been going there for years for missions, and it would be sad if it were gone all together. That said, Gnartsch's site and thiefmissions are also very good sources for missions, and im very thankful for their existence!

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    Now, unfortunately ... thiefmissions is way behind with respect to the FMs and there is no other site around which allows you to easily check for new missions.
    Ahem...

http://www.southquarter.com/fms

Al_b has sprinked a little bit of his his magic dust and this site is now fully back with all threads available