TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Dark Project - Unreal Engine 4

GOG can use NewDark because the author in its readme actually allows its use, IIRC.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Think about that for a second. You're saying Le Corbeau has the right to tell GOG they can legally use a hacked Thief.exe?

Permission is granted to any party that has obtained the legal rights to sell the original (v1.18 or
    earlier) game, such as GOG and Steam, to include this update, as long as they also have been granted
    permission by Eidos/Square Enix to do so.
    Last edited by Brethren; 1st May 2017 at 13:37.

I think that's a part of it, yes, but I'm not a lawyer, as I said before. Could be that Le Corbeau does not have the right to allow GOG use his work and that GOG is doing something illegal. Though it would be strange that GOG's lawyers would allow such a gamble.

I mean, the author allowing its use would logically be the reason why there are no legal ramifications for Squeenix and GOG, no?
    Last edited by Starker; 1st May 2017 at 13:57.

Eidos knows about NewDark (they'd have to be living under a rock otherwise). If they wanted to shut it down, they would have done so years ago

Southquarter.com/fms
    Yeah, I think it's fairly obvious, Le Corbeau doesn't have the right to do anything with Thief - "he" hacked it after all. Thus the anonymity. GOG is either taking their chances or has worked out something with Eidos behind the scenes.

I'm also not a lawyer. I think that's fairly obvious too.

Classical Master 2008
    As a rule, companies shut down or sue projects which either impact their bottom line or their control over an IP negatively. NewDark does neither, a hypothetical U4 remake could do both (at least in a company's eye).

I'm guessing there are more parties than just the suits at SE that would have to be cleared to allow the use of NewDark, such as those who actually worked on the game. And if SE really wanted to cover their ass, they'd be reviewing the code as well. I doubt any of this has been done though, and my guess is both SE and GOG are complicit and just looking the other way unless/until someone makes a fuss.

Who cares, it's just a fan patch right? But a mod, well, let the hellfire come down on that. Can't be having any threats to your IP.

Publishers these days are generally fine with mods that require ownership of the original game, especially if it attracts more users. Not only that, the Dark Engine is antiquated, and the user base is small enough that NewDark probably only slightly affected any bottom line, and if it did it was probably for profit. SE likely wouldn't be bothered enough to trouble with it, though I'm sure they are aware. Again, it allows people to purchase and run their game on modern systems, there's no reason for them to fight that.

Thief in Unreal 4 on the other hand, is different. Even though they haven't made a peep about a Thief 5, if it is in development it's probably on UE4. They are much likelier to send a cease and desist over something that potentially affects a future project, versus something that released 17 years ago.

Also, it's harder to go after something that has already been released than something that has only been announced. A C&D letter would be pretty much useless for stopping NewDark, for example. And running a Kickstarter would definitely draw attention.

Not that I wouldn't like to see a Thief remake, but I think a Thief-inspired game has much better chances of survival.

Quote Originally Posted by dawnstream View Post
    Hey,
    I want to share with you the work that I've been working on for a while

The Dark Project UE4 - Compare Preview (vimeo.com/214403794)

The Dark Project UE4 - Gameplay Test Preview (vimeo.com/203288393)

Although I respect the work of others, I can not praise this particular work. The original was colorful, varied. Even in the absence of details, this was compensated by textures (where these details were drawn) and lighting. On the conversion of UE4, it simply became a generic warehouses where instead of texture details the shelves were added.

And everything is in the same color scheme, as in the early days of xbox 360 games. On the street it's even worse, it's just the original where modern textures were pulled.

In general, I like the work of artists who recreate scenes from old games on a new engine. Excellent work was on Deus Ex, Bioshock. But Thief is always in bad shape...

Looks great.
    Why not just make your own stealth game using similar (or the same) mechanics? You won't have to worry about legal issues and you can feel more proud of it being something you made