TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How important is it that your significant other enjoys Thief?

Chakat sex pillow
    All I can say to that is: ¿Que?

Starting a discussion with your fantasy of me having so many problems playing Thief, which is obviously far beyond my mental and intellectual abilities, because it's such a pro game. Yeah, really mature

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Starting a discussion with your fantasy of me having so many problems playing Thief, which is obviously far beyond my mental and intellectual abilities, because it's such a pro game. Yeah, really mature
    It's really hilarious when people trying to undermine stuff like being a hardcore Sudoku or Puzzle Quest player, when it's basically in the same category as being a hardcore Battlefield player, i.e. it requires higher level of engagement and skills.
    when it's basically in the same category as being a hardcore Battlefield player, i.e. it requires higher level of engagement and skills.
    I am not a pro player of any sorts, I mostly play single player games, but what you said is so wrong on so many levels that it's pathetic to argue with a person like yourself. Your limited thinking of games makes people that actually take their time equal to a casual player who just spends more time on his "hardcore Sudoku".

Once again, nothing wrong with casual players, but there has to be a distinction. You have been wrong many times in this thread and yet you attack people who point faults in your thinking, which makes you look like arrogant. So it's basically you being wrong and being an awful person to people who are more correct.
    Last edited by nickie; 18th May 2017 at 12:26. Reason: Unacceptable. And rein in the insults.

*In a dramatic voice* There has to be a distinction...

That's why it's so easy to make fun of people like you

Obviously, you're mistaking broader thinking – extending particular phenomenon of passion of e.g. a hardcore Battlefield gamer, to passion of all gamers, regardless of title or genre – for limited thinking, and vice versa. And, if arguing with me is a waste of time, why are you here?

The whole point of this discussion is you claiming that there is 50-50 in general gaming, which is true. Then people called you out saying that indeed there is 50-50, but females play games mostly accessible for literally everyone and when it comes to mobile gaming, there's often a situation when you can't even say if it's a game anymore (I know how big of a mess is Google Play and other shit like that), so it's a stupid thing to say, that "it's 2017, get with the times grandpa".

You were implying that a lot changed since 1997 which is not true. When playing online games, you won't meet a woman almost at all. They tend to talk about games that are heavily marketed but they won't engage in big discussions or anything like that - it's a waste of time for them. So while there is a change, it's a little one. Mobile games usually have little to no multiplayer so they are closed in that sense.

So, if we have that much different genres and platforms, it would be smart to make and talk about different statistics. But somehow that seems hard for you, even if it really makes the most sense. There is no reason really to compare Puzzle Quest to Battlefield, because they are different games, although most of the time you can tell objectively which game is harder at the highest level of play. Yet you keep saying that they are all the same and we as gamers are equal to each other, which is not true. It's not that some are worse than the others, it's just that there has to be a clear distinction so there's no misinformation spread around just because some people are ignorant.

Talk about gamers with phones.
    Talk about gamers with consoles.
    Talk about gamers with PC.
    Talk about gamers with cheap mcdonalds toys.

Every platform is different, it's that simple. Some platforms are messy and got a lot of false info going around, so a distinction is very important.

Not sure where you got that thing about women not playing online or not playing hardcore games, but I guess it's from your experience, so it's as useful as my experience against yours. I stated mine above. Plus, a lot is changing, and will change further. Making a AAA PS1 game cost like 1 million dollars on average, now making a PS4 game costs 60-100 million. It's not even the question of wanting to reach broader audience, women included, it's a must. And it's already proven for "hardcore" games made tons of money beyond initial sales from "casual" stuff like micro-transactions. Mass Effect 3 made a crapload of money on those random lootboxes, so made Destiny, Call of duty, and now Overwatch. Sometimes these number double the actual game sales figures (See Pachter shows, he talks mostly about numbers and business side of things).

So no, while talking about gaming, a greater distinction is not really needed, because it's everything is already mixed up. There's no such thing as "gaming community", it's not a coherent group by any means. Or, it's as coherent as "book readers". And everything will get mixed up even more, even if for the sole purpose of making more cash by the investors and decision-makers. They don't give a damn about your sense of entitlement, because they don't even play games.

There's no such thing as "gaming community", it's not a coherent group by any means. Or, it's as coherent as "book readers".
    Do they count comics as books? It's a fair comparison when it comes to mobile games and the actual games. I know I am repeating myself but there is little supervision and control when it comes to mobile games. You can make a mobile game with stolen assets, you can make a mobile game that is just a series of images and nothing else. There's so much trash that it's hard to even tell what should be deleted. You don't have that on PC or consoles, because they are always checking what kind of a game you want to publish.

Because of that we should not include mobile gaming when it comes to determining who really does play games. Obviously there's a percentage that is legit but how can you know the specifics? It's a mess and it gets worse every year. Also 50-50 exists just because of mobile games. If you don't include them, it's a different matter. I'd rather ignore a source that can't be relied on than go for it hoping that it's at least somewhat true. PC or console gamers are not 50-50.

Now all I can say to this is:

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    All I can say to that is: ¿Que?
    Especially about shitty games and asset flips. Have you ever used Steam? People have YT channels running for years just to bash the crap is being published on Steam Greenlight. Recently, Sony decided to let such games into PS4, see gems like Life of Black Tiger or Fireman Simulator.

Now all I can say to this is:

Especially about shitty games and asset flips. Have you ever used Steam? People have YT channels running for years just to bash the crap is being published on Steam Greenlight. Recently, Sony decided to let such games into PS4, see gems like Life of Black Tiger or Fireman Simulator.
    Generally speaking there's still more effort put to them and there is a lot, lot less trash in general. You get hundreds of games out everyday in Google Play and I don't believe that is the case when it comes to Steam. Yeah, it's not perfect but they are trying to improve it. They are taking down Steam Greenlight in favor of Steam Direct soon but I don't know any specifics. There is nothing to keep mobile games in check, so it's obviously going to get flooded by some indian shit that was made just to get a few dollars from ads. I even know a guy who earns money that way. He said that you just have to keep launching whatever turds with little effort and you will earn money everytime. Not much, that's why you have to flood Google Play with it. Now imagine hundreds if not thousands of people doing that.
    Last edited by zomfg1234; 17th May 2017 at 06:19.

Check Jim Sterling's YT channel. It's a bottom of a bottom, lowest of the low. And all games that came out in 2016 are like over 50% of the whole Steam catalogue? Don't remember exact numbers. Majority of them is those asset flips, stuff that looks like homework projects and the like. PC games market is flooded with shit, just mobile market is. And often people who buy that shit play hardcore games as well. They do it mostly for cheap achievements and trading cards. Isn't that for filthy casuals, and women? What kind of players they are then, how we decide whether they are real gamers or not?

Trading cards are actually fine, as long as you monetise them lol, achievements are fine too, for everyone. I'll check that guy because I am actually curious how bad those games are, since I never really went deeper into that. As for describing people as "real gamers", well I'd say that's impossible to determine since there are no strict rules when it comes to that kind of stuff. I see it like that: if people spend at least a few hours everyday for their favorite game and follow gaming industry, then I think it's fair to call them "real gamers". Personally I don't like "gamer" term, because it feels too nerdy and it just brings unpleasant images to my head (doritos with mountain dew) but I understand that we have to name it somehow, so yeah. And it's not that they are better or anything like that, in fact not playing games means that you are more likely to have a busy life, which is a good thing I guess.

Chakat sex pillow
    Your logic is brilliant, zomfgxyz. You wanted stats, I post stats, and the response is 'numbers are subjective' and that I'm narrow-minded for including people in a category classification. Apart from how categorically imbecilic that response is, it's evident that you're too steeped in personal dogma to even account for what anyone else is saying.

I hope you grow up some day, or at the very least, remain locked in your basement. Good day.

Oh, come on Sulphur, you just spoiled all the fun. I really wanted to dive more into this mindset, to see what it means to be a real non-woman gamer. There has to be a distinction!

But, since he doesn't seem to know what a rhetorical question is, I think my work here is done too. Have a lovely day, you all

Quote Originally Posted by zomfg1234 View Post
    I see it like that: if people spend at least a few hours everyday for their favorite game and follow gaming industry, then I think it's fair to call them "real gamers".
    Hmm... if people spend at least a few hours every day with their favourite book and follow the publishing industry, then I think it's fair to call them "real book readers".

I just wanted to try it out to see how it sounds.

Not very. I mean it would be a nice bonus but I think life has more to offer than thief.

No need for pitchforks and torches, Ill just attach myself to a pole and set myself on fire for having written such heretical things.

My girlfriends loves RPGs and I got her to like Thief too, I think she's in T:Gold's The Sword mission now. I do think that like me she would have liked T2 way more. It's far more open spaced and steampunkish which we both like. Perhaps I should suggest to her she just skipped T:Gold for now and went straight for T2. I think she already played through the 1st mission but found shipping and receiving too complex but I'm sure mission 3, Framed will be just perfect!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234