TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 91 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4146515661667176818687888990919293949596101 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2536

Thread: TFix: unofficial patch for Thief1/Gold

Zombified
    you can set the hud transparency to 100%, check cam_ext.cfg and look for alpha for 2D overlay.

I've run Steam as admin for a long time, far before my issue of the overlay not working. For the vast majority of my time playing Thief the overlay has always worked. Oh well, at least Thief 2's works. No problem

Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheWalrus View Post
    Also Steam is already run as Admin
    No, it's not, especially if UAC was enabled. You can try to disable it and check overlay after restarting OS.
    Also, check the folder permissions for Steam and subfolders. You can use this for easy resetting permissions.
    Steam support have this article, you can check it too.

If nothing works, then move Steam (reinstall it?) to other location (like D:\Steam), reinstall game to it. Yeah, it's weird.
    Last edited by Lightwave; 20th May 2017 at 10:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave View Post
    No, it's not, especially if UAC was enabled. You can try to disable it and check overlay after restarting OS.
    Also, check the folder permissions for Steam and subfolders. You can use this for easy resetting permissions.
    Steam support have this article, you can check it too.

If nothing works, then move Steam (reinstall it?) to other location (like D:\Steam), reinstall game to it. Yeah, it's weird.
    Yeah I've already done most of that, but thanks anyway.

Despite the relighting, version 1.24b still has vastly different patterns of shade in the restaurant in Thieves' Guild. See below.

TFix 1.24b

Vanilla

I'll let you know if I find more discrepancies.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Zombified
    yes, because I have unified the amount of light one type of candle emits. not sure whether I want to revert this.

Just curious, what was the reason for the unifying in the first place?

I'd rather leave things untouched, or at least have an option for leaving things untouched. I use this as a bug fixing and modern compatibility patch as I imagine most people do. This isn't really bug fixing, even if they could be construed as design flaws. Just my two cents.

Zombified
    rule of thumb for the full version is that if something is anomalous, discrepant or outright buggy, it needs to go. the reason for changing some lights is that all light emitting objects of the same type/size should logically also have the same luminosity - no reason why some should have just half of it, like those candles in the Guild restaurant. anyway, only a handful of candles were changed this way, so this shouldn't be a big deal one way or another.

concerning the fix vs no fix dilemma, I'm always open to discussion, but in the end, I have to make a decision, and no matter what I do in the end, some people won't like it - and that's why the lite (crit bugfix only strict) version exists. I'm aware that some would want more than that but less than the full, but creating yet another branch that would sit somewhere inbetween just isn't feasible.

That's perfectly fair actually. You're right, you can't please everyone and I think you definitely picked the right choice then. I also didn't know about the lite version so it's good that we have that as well. Good stuff, Voodoo, this patch and all the effort you put into it is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheWalrus View Post
    I'd rather leave things untouched, or at least have an option for leaving things untouched. I use this as a bug fixing and modern compatibility patch as I imagine most people do. This isn't really bug fixing, even if they could be construed as design flaws. Just my two cents.
    I'd agree about making non-bug non-compatibility fixes optional improvements. Changing light sources has the potential to affect how easy or hard a section can be to traverse, in comparison to how easy or hard they were intended/designed to be. Although I have no doubt the impact is trivial if any such changes have been made here.

And it's all well and good someone deciding that only psychos would want to hear blackjacked NPCs responding to being hurt, but aside from personal judgments on what amuses other people, it can actually be useful because it lets you know if you've left them somewhere that is hurting them.

The unofficial patches for all the games are great though, don't get me wrong. Just agree in principle that improvements should be dealt with separately. Although I suspect that of course it would not always be easy to make a particular one optional.
    Last edited by Cigam; 25th May 2017 at 09:27.

Zombified
    that can be said about pretty much anything.

anyway, 1.24c is up, few quick fixes, but most importantly, T1 (non-gold) Lost City now works properly again - water talisman objective completes after picking it up (got broken in 1.24, forcing people to use ctrl+alt+shift+end to complete the mission).
    Last edited by voodoo47; 26th May 2017 at 15:22.

Thanks. Can you add 1.24b and 1.24c into the changelog?

Zombified
    these tiny fixes (and shameful mistake coverups) don't really need to be seen more than necessary.

Fair point. I was just curious.

Zombified
    it's business as usual - floaty things, badly oriented things, upside down things. seems like there is an infinite amount of them in the game.

I frankly never noticed any such things in the original game or perhaps I just didn't mind it and only found those things curious

Zombified
    that's why good testers are rare, as they need to be capable of un-immersing themselves and looking beyond the game to see all the gears and cogs that run underneath (among other things).

Last edited by voodoo47; 27th May 2017 at 14:25.

Yeah:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byh...ew?usp=sharing

In what file was the talisman bug in T1 (non-Gold) fixed?
    In TFIX.GAM?
    And the problem with some ratmen getting stuck (Escape) and at some extent fixed by adding these lines in gamesys.dml:

ObjProp -137 "PhysAIColl"
    {
    "" false
    }
    has been fixed in TFIX.GAM or where?

Zombified
    not yet, that is something I need to have a closer look at before it gets pushed into the main build. also I thought I've already fixed that table and goblet, but apparently not.

the talisman turned out to be a script incompatibility - basically, if you use the TG version of miss09.osm for the T1 version of the map, the talisman pickup won't register. to fix this, I had to make sure a proper version of the script is installed if T1 non-gold is detected.

My miss09.osm for the non-gold version is dated 11-11-1998 (294400 bytes) and everything was OK the last time I replayed that mission (one year ago or so).
    Whta are the main changes or fixes built in the new TFIX.GAM for Gold and/or Dark Project?

Zombified
    there is at least one newer (and larger) TDP miss09.osm available (‎8. ‎dec ‎1998, 1*111*212 bytes), I have it from the sold out version which should be identical to TDP 1.33 afaik.

when you apply TFix to TDP, you are getting all the same things as with TG, with the exception of the Lost City and Undercover missions which were taken from the TDP unstripped missions pack, with all the mission fixes mirrored from their TG counterparts. while it is slightly annoying to maintain those two extra missions, I figured that it is worth doing as long as it's just two and no more. I'll probably get rid of TDP Undercover completely in the future, as the only difference is the extra talisman, and I should be able to work around that with some dml trickery. that will leave Lost City as the only level that needs to exist in two incarnations, and I can live with that 'till kingdom come.

anyway, as I have already mentioned (somewhere), if you patch your TDP with TFix, you will get T2 engine running TG running TDP, for better or worse. Thiefception, if you want.

Ill let you know that Im still using the Dark Project version of Down in the Bonehoard in the Gold version.
    I much prefer the original layout and I dont care not having to encounter that man or beast which is all flames.
    Other than that I dont see any difference in the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    Not terribly important, a minor thing. But in Escape on both Hard and Expert you are initially given an objective to 'get your equipment back'. But once you start the mission this objective disappears from the list altogether. Not sure if this is something that needs "fixing" but it is a strange quirk.
    Let me know voodoo47 what it this? I played this mission with TFix 1.24 and I saw still the same - missing one objective.

Here is a small bug pack about mission Strange Bedfellows (redundant brush, flying mushrooms in the neighbourhood and ratmans that could stop patrolling) - download is here - https://www.sendspace.com/file/mnsfsu or from my Chomikuj channel.

The missing objective in Escape has always been there I believe. But it does not influence the mission at all and does not make it unwinnable, so is it really a problem?

Page 91 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4146515661667176818687888990919293949596101 ... LastLast