TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief Guild - a new fanmission directory portal

Thief Guild - a new fanmission directory portal

Hi TTLG,

After 2 years of working on it on selected free time, I proudly present to you my new fanmission-related portal:

https://www.thiefguild.com/

I trust moderators wont find this post spamish or advertisementish and I wont be banned My goal to write it here is to find other people that possibly share my long-term enthusiastic interest in fanmissions. Feel free to move this thread to another place on the forums, if you think it will be better.

If some of you would like to comment on the current state of the portal or feel like they want to contribute, feel free to contact me via e-mail button on this forum.

For this moment, registration is closed but it will be opened soon. As long as you are not able to register, some of features do not work, like fanmission rating or writing comments.

I'll paste the welcome message below, for your convenience. It is also available on the News page.

Thief Guild as a New Mission

We want to make the fanmission information more accessible and transparent, so that both raw data and gaming experience can be stored and shared in a fandom community driven database.

It is already two decades of strong and active community of players of Thief game series. During that entire time, we shown that we want more and more cult and iconic stealth gameplay experience. We also shown we are able to make such experience possible, too. Regardless if we talk about the classic Thief series fanmissions or completely fan-made standalone Thief-inspired game: The Dark Mod - the community of modders created a large number of high quality playable content ... and things are not planning to be changed, it seems.

Seeing what we already have and thinking about what is yet to come, we give you ThiefGuild.com and aim to organize existing content and plan to make future content even more organized. Our community mission will be to help others find out more about fanmissions in accessible and convenient way. And our mission has a few objectives.

The first of our goals is to provide a basic directory of all existing fanmissions. We trust we can achieve that with your help, by hosting for you a wiki-like system, which allows you and us to work together on our database and collaboratively take care of the quality of its content. Taking into account diversified taste of the players, we organize fanmissions by genre and provide to you a possibility to rate and review them, so that other players could find the best items even faster.

But this is only a beginning of a very long edu... well, we have a lot of ideas and can not wait to bring them all to life as fast as we can! However let's proceed step by step and think about our distant goals, keeping in mind that a twist plot may sometimes happen. We know it is like on the picture attached to this article - it is a beginning of a new regular mission, but who knows how plot will develop after our first goals are finished? We trust, however, we are about to grab plenty of loot together.

Please do not confuse Thief Guild with an original mission Thieves Guild, provided to you in Thief Gold expansion pack. Our guild is focused on a single thief only - the one, everybody is changing into when beginning a new mission.

Konrad
    Last edited by Marzec; 23rd May 2018 at 07:07. Reason: Proofreading of the website welcome message

The site looks great! Thank you for your hard work! It's always nice to have more Thiefy Things on the net..
    Some of the missions have grayed out their display pictures...does this has to do with their upload state?

Thank you for your kind comment, nightchild.

Yes, most of the entries are bulk export from my old spreadsheet database. For this reason there is yet a lot to do: add fanmission descriptions, add screenshots and cleanup the mess with duplicated authors.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Site looks good, very organized. Will you eventually host FM files as well? Maybe even Dromed related stuff?

I noticed you have a category for Thief 4 and Thievery too, which wouldn't apply to FMs, so I assume you're looking to be more of a encyclopedia or wiki based site.

You are most welcome to post this here. The site looks great! More Thief resources are always something we like to see anytime.

Thanks for this, looks great!

Thank you so much for creating a site with updated missions Any chances we fan mission authors can upload our missions to your site so we can always keep them updated?

Very nice! I saw the browsing filters on the right, is there a search function?

Wonderful! Thank you so much.

i am always glad to see a new thief related site ,great job

Thank you all for your kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Will you eventually host FM files as well? Maybe even Dromed related stuff?
    I can not promise that until I solve it with reasonable solution in the terms of download transfer payments. But personally I think mirror listing is also important.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I noticed you have a category for Thief 4 and Thievery too, which wouldn't apply to FMs, so I assume you're looking to be more of a encyclopedia or wiki based site.
    Yeah, long term goal is to provide other stuff - so, answering your previous question, I would like to host Dromed related stuff too but also other modding / unofficial expansion packs, which I suppose in future might happen for Thief 4 too. Regarding Thievery, you also have downloadable missions for it, so lets put them into the directory too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Thank you so much for creating a site with updated missions Any chances we fan mission authors can upload our missions to your site so we can always keep them updated?
    That's one of future goals, actually. But I will implement this feature carefully, as it is getting a bit complex, if you think about other users that my provide mission description change suggestions on wiki basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Very nice! I saw the browsing filters on the right, is there a search function?
    It's already on my to-do list

Edit: And it's done now.

I've also provided some other updates:

• You can now filter fanmissions by "Only with description" which will give you only FMs I've provided with detailed info.
    • FM target platform is displayed on the "FM card"
    • Search bar
    Last edited by Marzec; 23rd May 2018 at 04:48. Reason: update

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    The site looks fantastic, Marzec! Thanks for all the hard work you've obviously put and continue to put into it. I would actually suggest you not host missions yourself unless you're fully prepared for the enormous storage and bandwidth requirements that come with that. Just having links to all the existing mirrors is valuable enough along with all of the other info you're providing on each FM, some of which isn't found anywhere else that I know of. If you do decide to host and allow authors to upload, I would have a user database with a robust registration and authentication system, and restrict uploads to authenticated users only. When I had a means for people to upload abandoned missions on my site without such measures, I found I was frequently deleting junk uploads from that folder.

IMHO it would be more useful to continue adding other features and building out the FM database to be complete, so that the site becomes a complete informational archive which has links to download the missions among all the other mission data you're planning. After all, as long as download links are there, most players don't care if it's hosted on your site or somewhere else. Just my 2 cents.

That's a really valuable 2 cents from you Yandros, I must say. You seem to share my point of view on the problem - the idea of starting with download mirrors in the first place, was to strengthen our network, not replace (part of) it.

It's a priceless aspect of our small community that you have so many places where you can download fanmissions. Every single website is gold here. And there are no better and worse websites - thats how decentralized networks work - the more nodes in the network, the better. That's why, for ThiefGuild.com, file hosting is moved to the far background now. If it will be added in the future, it will be connected to the creator's account, where (as a website user) you will be able to maintain a small page about your creations and upload your own official releases by drag-and-drop. That would also mean upload limitations and payments for enormous uploads.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros
    If you do decide to host and allow authors to upload, I would have a user database with a robust registration and authentication system, and restrict uploads to authenticated users only.
    The authentication process is needed for existing, well known authors to prevent impersonation. The formulation is simple - as long as your work is already in the database, you need to confirm your identity to proceed and gain administrative access on them. If you are a freshman, you are free to post the content as long as it fits to the terms of service. Doing that I would like to support both dromed stars of our community and tiny little creators still hiding in the shadows with their valuable treasury.

I am happy to inform you about two things:

• We had a nice meeting of Polish Forum in Poland
    • You can now subscribe Thief Guild news (and fanmission releases) via ATOM and RSS

See News for more

Hi again! There is a new feature on my website. I will now run robots that hopefully will help me fix our database missing data problems like download links. Thanks to cooperation with Thief: the Dark Fate (thank you guys so much), we can now stream data between pages. We will see if robots will get more features in the future but for now let's focus on the content itself.

News article and first robot activity are on the front page.

I like it!

Well done! A lovely site and easy to navigate.

Nice site! Thanks!

Great job, I like it. WIll do some exploring this weekend.