TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Missions with the best story development?

Evangelizing 'Thief' is yours then? I didn't realise as I followed a link from somewhere and didn't see the name in the General Introduction. I was intending to post a link to it in the Links Thread but then forgot. I really enjoyed what I read.

Yep, it's mine. I first posted about it here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145566

Feel free to add it to the links thread. I covered plenty of missions looking at traits like the story development Motley Fool is speaking of.

Motley Fool, your thread is so fun to read. Like some others here, I've been replaying these missions in my mind vicariously. Glad you had fun playing MC, and awesome that you actually know a real-life Anna Liese. I think you should by her a Dewdrop doll for Christmas ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by pukey brunster View Post
    Glad you had fun playing MC
    I'll have you know, incidentally, that I gave that I dumped the following into that greedy homeless family's donation box: a wedding cake, various baked treats, an upside-down cake, something called a "Berliner", several loaves of bread, carrots, cheese, sausage links, and succulent burrick steak. And did they thank me? THEY DID NOT. "I'm starving!" whined the little girl who couldn't be bothered to pull several full, nutritious meals out of her donation box. Well don't blame me, you ungrateful twerp!

(oh, you really wanted a sandwich out of some guy's lunchbox? Well excuuuuuuse me for offending your delicate palette with meat and cakes, homeless family.)

Anyway! On to the next mission, which shall remain anonymous in order to lend a sense of mystery and excitement to this thread! I shall only post the following notes:

The Nameless Mission

• It is super handy to discover that Sam Marlowe has a mechanical, zoom-lens eye.

• I love the sound of the rain on the roof at the beginning of this mystery level. I want that looped as an ambient background noise on my headphones at work.

• This town has some awesome locations! None of which I can actually visit!

• Walking away from whats-her-name in the nightclub while she's talking is mission-ending rudeness.

• That dude in the warehouse TOTALLY did NOT SEE ME. He just heard some noise, and somehow Sam Marlowe's cover is blown because clearly it couldn't be anyone else but Sam Marlowe walking on tile floor two rooms away.

• The police in this town are an awfully easy-going bunch. "Oh, hi there Sam. I see you ignored the "No Admittance" signs, but no worries - they were just mild suggestions anyway. I'm busy talking to this other officer about a confidential case, but I don't mind if you want to listen in. Oh, I see you've jumped up onto my desk and are now walking all over my case notes. That's cool. By the way, feel free to run the elevator up and down all night if you want - doesn't bother us!"

So far, so good.
    Last edited by Motley Fool; 7th Jun 2017 at 19:14.

Yay! The "nameless mission" - one of my all time faves & great environment.

And let's get real, no processed fare, not even succulent burrick steak, can compete with the homemade goodness that are Benny's aunt's wholesome sandwiches, because they're made with love.

And let's get real, no processed fare, not even succulent burrick steak, can compete with the homemade goodness that are Benny's aunt's wholesome sandwiches, because they're made with love.
    The only way that can possibly be true is if they were love-infused peanut-butter-and-banana sandwiches. Because those really are good. Is that what they were?

Plus, in fairness, even starving homeless people may think twice about scraping out an upside-down cake dumped into a filthy wooden box. I'm... a little ashamed of myself now.

Yay! The "nameless mission" - one of my all time faves & great environment.
    Ha! Don't pretend you know what level I'm describing - nobody's falling for that. It's too mysterious!

More of The Nameless Mission
    (unhidden spoilers below!)

• "These cabinets are probably all just full of business files". Ha! You're not fooling me, internal Sam Marlowe voice! I'm know there's something here, and I'm going to check every one of these frobbable file cabinets!

• I guess these cabinets are just full of business files.

• GO AWAY, MORTICIAN! Goodness, you have an erratic path. What are you doing, anyway, just walking around randomly and quivering. Is this your first autopsy? Trying to get up your nerve?

• I sure hope the final showdown of this mission takes place at "Childrens Hair Cuts".

• If I can't have rope arrows, why can't I at least grab one of the heaters in the basement? I am hardboiled, aren't I? And I'm about to go confront a cop armed with nothing more than my accusations, rakish wit, and rake lockpick.

• "Oh, hey Marlowe. Thanks for catching the frail what murdered the chief here. We'll take it from here. Eventually, I mean. First, me and the sarge gotta yawn, stretch a bit, and stare at each other for a while. Oh... hey Marlowe, sorry to ask, but would you mind not repeatedly walking on top of the body while you're looking around in the room? You know, just so you don't jam the knife with fingerprints further into his back? And oh yeah, you got any ideas why the chief would keep these mirror image books of the "Supreme Court Reporter" on top of his file cabinet? Is it a code or something?"

• "Boy, being a desk sergeant sure is boring... Oh! G'night, Marlowe - hope you and the chief had a good chat upstairs. What's that? No, I don't remember where your office is either. Just do what I do - walk around the streets randomly until you see something you recognize, like a fan in an upstairs window, then see if your key unlocks the door. See ya!"

All in all, a fun mission! Definitely a different vibe, and obviously a lot of work went into it. Congratulations, mysterious authors!

On to the next one! Whatever that is. (I will happy to review and/or abuse any level that an author asks me to - barring that, something else from this thread then!)

Alas! I am running out of story missions. It's almost to the point where I'm going to have to break down and play "Broken Triad". ("Ominous Bequest" is my all-time favorite level, and so I am saving the final Eshaktaar level until I'm really desperate.)

I've played a few random ones that have appeared in the forum lately, and while I'm sure they are wonderful in their own right, too many of them involved gameplay that just wasn't my style (really high loot requirements, hunting down very small and obscure things, etc.)

The "Bathory" campaign was quite enjoyable (although I was forever forgetting about locked doors I would see early in a level, when I finally found the right key 2 hours later). And "Behind Closed Doors" was a masterpiece of story development and just fun gameplay.

Are there any other story mission gems out there? I believe I've finished up all the ones from this thread:
    • Saints and Thieves
    • Stones and Glass Houses
    • The Drymian Codex
    • What Lies Beneath
    • Waterfront Racket
    • The Black Frog
    • Godbreaker
    • Morbid Curiosity
    • Coaxing the Spirit
    • When Still
    • The Last Lighthouse Keeper
    • Sturmdrang Peak

along with most of the classic awesome missions pre-2012 or so (Lady Rowena's stuff, COSAS, Hammerite Imperium, etc.)

What else? What else??

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I have a 10-mission campaign which is extremely story-driven coming out sometime in the next month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I have a 10-mission campaign which is extremely story-driven coming out sometime in the next month or so.
    Oh, I know! I'm very much looking forward to being embraced by cold death , but I need to solve mysteries, correct old wrongs, discover why Lord Fussypants suddenly disappeared, and find a way into the creepy abandoned wing of a mansion tonight.

Wait... it occurs to me that I haven't completely explored the Yandros oeuvre yet. Dance With The Dead? Cell 6? King Abedzen's Tomb?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Of the three, only Cell 6 is heavy on story, although the story has some grisly elements. Dance has decent replay value though as there are 3 difficulties x 3 play modes for 9 combinations, just not much in the way of story, although there is a lost civilization involved.