TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who could develop the next Thief title?

Given how long Garrett's been around, I'm thinking the next two titles should be Thief: The Middle Age, and Thief: The Old Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    Thief: The Old Age.
    upload image online

Haha, that's great.

I suppose this would be more accurate:

Though who knows, maybe part of the story could be Garrett getting his eye back.

Love it. I wanted to tweak the eye too, but don't have photo-editing here at work. Yep.. sneaking in some TTLG time from work today.. tee hee..

Classical Master 2008
    But that's... thievery!

When you've been playing Thief this long, there's bound to be side effects..

I too, am guilty of having a little TTLG time while at work, now and again. It keeps me grounded.
    I love this old place.

Spot on, Chris.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I do most of my TTLG browsing at work. Because work can be dull. At least more dull than playing Thief.

Well, if you guys lived in my country 20 years ago there wouldn't be any choice... you get dull work, you do it, because the state ordered it. Now, when capitalism is almost everywhere, at least we have a choice to have a dull work, hehe.
    Which gives me an idea... hm. The next title - "Thief. Industrial Revolutions". Nah, that's too bad. Maybe something like this: Thief Reloaded. Thief Revolutions

My job isn't particularly dull, it can be quite frenetic, to be honest. I don't enjoy it, but I'm old enough and owe enough to know where my working life will end. Such is life and the choices we make.
    TTLG offers a quiet contrast of like-minded individuals. You are my tribe . We are all searching for our tribe in life, after all.
    Sorry for putting this off topic.
    I believe Thief should remain exactly as it is. Three titles, such as it is. Any attempts to repackage or reboot yet again would only dilute the great titles that have gone before it, IMHO.
    There is life still, in this old game. This community has proven that beyond any doubt.
    Last edited by Purgator; 18th Feb 2017 at 16:15. Reason: ......

Spot on, Chris.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I've thought a few times about how cool it would be if a high level studio with lots of resources (or even an established indie studio with a good reputation) were forced to take an old game/editor combo like Thief/Dromed and make a new full length game with it. It would be interesting to see what they could do.

Purgator, so true about the tribe. I even learned a foreign language in order to have the honor to be among the people of TTLG and to understand them (still learning though).
    Brethren, that would be so awesome! But is it even possible to unite at least 1/2 of Dromed-writing people? I tried to ask the same question to Zontik (our most famous russian Dromed-writer), but he said that this is merely a utopia, people will always be arguing about the plot, the details etc... T2X was an exception as I suppose.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    It can work if you keep the team small, plan out all the details of story and design ahead of time, and have strong leadership to make the team stick to the plan.

I don't know what you guys are wishing for, but with DCE and The Black Parade on the horizon, don't we get exactly that, a new T2 AND T1G?
    And who could do better justice to our unsatiable community and their demands on new Thief missions than the authors of these projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    I really hope the Thief franchise is well and truly dead. Let it rest with dignity.
    I thoroughly agree! I'd much rather see a Dishonored 3 than another Thief Epic Failure (TDS & Thi4f were travesties, imo). When I get rich & famous you have my word that I'll buy the rights to the Thief franchise and then fund this community's kickstarter to produce a REAL Thief spiritual successor of a game. Hell, our FM authors do a better job with their missions than Ion Storm, EM, & SE have done with their two whole new Thief games. Just sayin'.

Thief is not dead and it wont be until we here are not dead period. Dignity ?? where the heck is dignity in last installment or deadly shadows ? That is not dignity that is pure shame.

Dark mod is pretty awesome but it feels little bit awkward to me when i play it. Still its awesome thing and i like it a lot. its not a successor in my opinion. Extension of Thief series experience i would call it.

What is required in my opinion for game to be a successor

Story, story and once again hell of the story - i really think here on ttlg forum we already have a lot of people who can deliver really good stories. Why not making a brainstorm sessions about it and see what will come out of it.

Freedom - i want to see players explore show me places i did not think you can get to.

Editor i think this should be first on the list its a must without it there is no successor. I want to celebrate another 18 birthday and say this people are crazy about this game.

New tools depending on era we want to put game into.
    Also i would like to take some of parkour from assassins creed series but not too much i still want to use something like rope arrows maybe grappling hook or some kind of gun to launch it
    New lock picking mechanics

graphic should be of course nice but i would not want gta 5 level

Mirror - dont ask why its my obsession

I would like to place game in kind of London like city - Jack the Ripper time

As for the title we dont have to buy rights. Change name and what they will do if we will make it obvious its thief under different name.
    as a character we could use Garrett son untold story or his apprentice. I was always curious what will happen to his legacy he should somehow pass it.

I want to hear Your opinion. Maybe we should start new thread " let's make Garrett proud again ?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post
    I don't know what you guys are wishing for, but with DCE and The Black Parade on the horizon, don't we get exactly that, a new T2 AND T1G?
    Speaking only for my own project, while it is 10 missions (really 8, plus two which are just large cutscenes to move story along), it is definitely not a "new T2" and won't be everyone's cup of tea. But while we're mentioning large campaigns, GORT's Rebellion of the Builder 2 is even bigger and is also coming out this year, although it too is unconventional (more so than DCE, I would guess).

I don't consider Thi4f to even be a thief game, that's how terrible it was. The last true Thief game was Deadly Shadows and that was over 12 years ago. They should just leave the title alone and just move on. There's no point in making another "Thief" game if it isn't even gonna repsect the original games.

For me, the Thief series is Thief Gold and Thief 2, I didn't like TDS and haven't wasted time with the last one. I think the developers should leave Thief alone-the FM makers can take it from here!

The more i think, i don't think i'd even want a new Thief part. It'd be tailored to nowadays audience mostly anyway, the first generation Thief players will, do a large amount, not even play video games anymore. And, i don't really think you should really beat dead a franchise anyway. 4 parts are well enough. Bring some fresh ideas. Looking Glass Studios were always good at that.

With The Dark Mod, and many fan missions available, my Thief-y needs are satisfied mostly anyway. Although a big campaign would be awesome, also for consistency and all that. But, can't have everything, especially with a fan made project.

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to Deaths Cold Embrace,I will have to look that up but I have been quite eagerly awaiting the Black Parade since I love Thief Gold Missions but even more those that deal with the City's Underworld which are some my favorite missions.

I agree completely, Independent Thief! Let fan mission makers continue to make future adventures for Garrett and others. Don't let some big dog publisher stain Thief further!

(By the way, you're not missing a thing by not playing NuThief.)

Yeah I think the best way to continue the series is in fan missions or in some unlikely future Otherworld got a hold of the rights or Square let them to do it but kept their nose out of it,I think Square played a big role in Mankind Divided's and now the Deus ex series issues even though both games were imho pretty damn good.

Then again I am biased when it comes to Square because I love them for a lot of their classics and the classics they own the right to,some of their modern developed and published stuff but also hate them for the fact they haven't given us a proper enhanced version of Final Fantasy V and VI,The dormancy of the Chrono Series,and until recently their treatment of the Dragon Quest Fan Base from the west thought that has gotten a lot better.No to mention the Deus Ex Situation now.

I don't really hold them to much responsible for Thief 4 since that was on Eidos Montreal for some really bad design choices,and pretty bad story.It wasn't a bad game per say it was a bad Thief Game,though I swear some of the levels were made either by people who didn't know what they were doing or really good designers.For example the last 2 missions I hated but the House of Blossoms and to a lesser extent Moria Asylum and Northcrest Manor felt like they came from a different and much better game.

The best we are gonna get barring a miracle or stuff from the fan community is in the forum of spiritual successors like Dishonored and the Proposed Otherworld Project.I don't think we need to dumb down the prospective game for modern audiences since series like Dark Souls show that people don't mind a game not holding your hand mind you I don't think we need to go that far on the scale of things but I also don't think it needs to be so dumb or gimmicky.I don't why one cannot look a the first two games and what the fan community has down and figure out why they work and ask the fan as well and then proceed to make a good game that you make sure to get the word about.I don't buy for a minute the concept that there isn't a market for a challenging,immersive,atmospheric,first person stealth game that doesn't have QTE's, a Gears of War Cover System or take downs.

if i am allowed my humbled opinion, i tried to revamp it, taking into consideration the faults and advantages of the first two thief games, but i also run into problems. making games is very demanding, time and money wise.Id love to finish the demo but things arent easy on my end im afraid. I require man power besides me and without money its a long way down ...

I'd much rather see someone like Arkane do their own take on a Thief-like game now that they've done Underworld, Deus Ex, and (apparently) System Shock. Would be more interesting than another soft reboot or an unnecessary expansion of the old trilogy, and we have enough neverending IP's anyway.