TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Final Fantasy XV looks: good, not like a Final Fantasy game

Level 10,000 achieved
    WHOA WAIT WHAT

OFFROAD REGALIA?

*googles*

Apparently, yes! It'll be added as a free addition, at some point.

Ok, the physics aren't super-impressive, particularly the collision with the rock there looks a tad unconvincing, but it's still a huge improvement over the regular on-rails Regalia. Very nice.

PC port now or GTFO

Level 10,000 achieved
    Episode Gladiolus is out tomorrow.

"The update that aims to fix the game's controversial Chapter 13" reads the youtube description. I actually played through most of Chapter 13 last weekend, and while I greatly enjoyed it I can also see why some people wouldn't. It deviates sharply from how the game has played up until that point, removing your teammates and the open world in favor of having Noctis by himself, hunting keycards to unlock doors in tight, linear, spooky corridors, taking on enemies with the help of new powers. It almost feels like it turns into a Resident Evil game or something for that one chapter.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok, done with FFXV. It was pretty good! Dunno what to say about it. I enjoyed my trip with the boys, though no part of it really amazed me or anything, but then again there were very few parts I disliked as well. So yeah, good stuff.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Level 10,000 achieved
    COULD IT BE

Final Fantasy's beautiful boys rendered with even MORE GRAPHICS????? U:

So you have to have Windows 10 to play this? Please don't tell me you do.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's coming to Steam and Origin, so no, it's not a Windows Store travesty exclusive.

Having said that, Squeenix's port jobs on the FFXIII's were... not great. FFXHD runs better, but it bloody well ought to since the base game is >10 years old and ran on what is, today, the computational equivalent of a brickphone. If they're really partnering up with nVidia, I hope that means better optimisation and frame-pacing.

Moderator and Priest
    SO MANY GRAPHICS YOU WON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THE GRAPHICS YOU GOT, HENKE!

Moderator and Priest
    V and VI don't look too half bad if you use the mod to turn off bilinear filtering.

Level 10,000 achieved
    YOURE GONNA HAVE SO MANY GRAPHICS YOUR GONNA GET TIRED OF GRAPHICS. YOUR GONNA SAY PLEASE MR TRUMP NO MORE GRAPHICS!!!!

Moderator and Priest
    NO GRAPHICS POLITICS IN GRAPHICS CHAT!

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    With this announcement, there's only I, II, and XII missing from Steam now, yeah?
    12 was just remastered for PS4, a PC port will probably be out by mid-2018. You're not missing anything of note with FF1 & 2. The series didn't pick up until it came to SNES.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

PC Gamering Smartey Man

l, but after the insane and amazing slog through XI (which now stands as the best FF of the entire series for me, by very far, shame few will know).
    You mean the first MMO? Sorry, Asian MMOs of that vintage tend to be soulless grinds. I wouldn't touch that noise even with a barge pole.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    12 was just remastered for PS4, a PC port will probably be out by mid-2018. You're not missing anything of note with FF1 & 2. The series didn't pick up until it came to SNES.
    They're good for nostalgic value, at the very least.

My grandma bought me the NES original back in 91, after I had played and loved Final Fantasy Legend on the Gameboy. They seem so trite and simple now, but considering they were my first RPGs, they came off to my 11 year old self as vast adventures in worlds with such exquisite detail (relatively speaking), they absolutely boggled and blew my mind.

Like buying potions and weapons to prepare for the journey ahead? That didn't feel like pointless filler to me. It felt like I was stocking up on gear for a quest!
    Last edited by Renzatic; 21st Aug 2017 at 20:11.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    They're good for nostalgic value, at the very least.
    I'm not saying that they shouldn't release them on Steam, by all means they should (Android ports exist so they have a modern codebase to do some easy ports to PC). I'm was saying exactly as I said:- if you haven't played them before you're not missing out on much if you choose to skip them. FF1 as you say has a very simple story. FF2 probably is the most complex storywise of the three NES FFs, but the RPG mechanics are god awful, so bad that the series never revisited them.

Nope, it's all missions and story now. They corrected nearly every bit of that. They finished the game's story and made it all soloable and very quick to level. Your huge loss.
    Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. I'll keep it in mind.

so I hope you're right XII Zodiac Age comes to PC.
    It'll come. FF X/X-2 HD came to PC a year after the PS4 is the precedent set.

I wonder what prompted the sudden rush of JRPGs onto Steam in the past few years. Used to be rare to see any at all.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    I'm not saying that they shouldn't release them on Steam, by all means they should (Android ports exist so they have a modern codebase to do some easy ports to PC). I'm was saying exactly as I said:- if you haven't played them before you're not missing out on much if you choose to skip them. FF1 as you say has a very simple story.
    Yeah, I guess I could agree with that. FF1 is fine if you're reliving the experience, but comes across as very straightforward and cliché if you're coming into it brand new. Plus, there's the fact that the remakes are so, so much easier than the original. On the NES, you could only buy a max 30 potions, only had so many spells you could use between rests, and you could only save at inns. If you didn't play conservatively, and plan things out accordingly, you could easily lose an hour or two of playtime. While the newer versions of FF are easier and more convenient to the player, it blunts the experience somewhat.

The Marsh cave on the GBA or iPad is just a bog standard dungeon in a bog standard JRPG. On the NES? It's a goddamn cruel hellhole of scary intensity most people won't return from.

FF2 probably is the most complex storywise of the three NES FFs, but the RPG mechanics are god awful, so bad that the series never revisited them.
    Actually, they did, just not in any of the mainline FFs. Final Fantasy Legend 1 and 2 use a greatly refined version of the mechanics first seen in FF2. They're still pretty opaque at times, but there's more of a rhyme and reason to everything.

It's funny. I played FFL long before the NES FF. When I played the latter, I was disappointed I couldn't put robots and slime monsters in my party. It's a shame that the weirdness of the Gameboy FFs didn't serve as the base of the series.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I wonder what prompted the sudden rush of JRPGs onto Steam in the past few years. Used to be rare to see any at all.
    Dark Souls being a hit on Steam, followed by FF7 & 8. Also Recettear being a hit a few years back, opened the floodgates for Valve to see the demand for Japanese indies like visual novels.

From what I heard, it was that Valve first opened the floodgates and then were all, "Wait, people like this stuff? Seriously?". That's their argument against curation, basically -- that they never knew visual novels would be something that people wanted.

Level 10,000 achieved

what

Lies

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Pretty interesting article explaining this phenomenon at PC Gamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-japan-lea...-gaming-again/

Lots of interesting bits in there; I didn't know how difficult it was to buy a game on Steam in Japan (and I wasn't aware of their anti credit card economy), and I had no idea there was a genetic predisposition to motion sickness that led to many Japanese gamers being turned off by first-person games.

Looks good, but nothing is impressive after Witcher 3 an