TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Long Way Down :)

Classical Master 2008
    This is great!

Nice.

One of my favorite missions in Thief Gold/TDP. The name alone, "Down in the bonehoard"... priceless.

Seriously cool!

Spot on, Chris.

Aww, that's cool! Arkane definitely loves putting nods to Thief in their games. I remember the armor from Dark Messiah and the flooded district convo from the first Dishonored.

He also says the line in Lost City I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Taffer View Post
    Aww, that's cool! Arkane definitely loves putting nods to Thief in their games. I remember the armor from Dark Messiah and the flooded district convo from the first Dishonored.
    Well done RT, I did not see you approach

Nice one. Thanks for posting that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    He also says the line in Lost City I believe.
    Yes, and it is equally awesome. Only Stephen Russell could make a statement sound so good it can be recycled.

That gives me an idea. FM authors can take some of SR's Dishonored lines and use them for Garrett

They also use the line "Better check my map" in missions 1 and 3 of T2, and "This looks like the way in" in both Song Of The Caverns and Framed.

Not criticising just like to spot the recognised lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    That gives me an idea. FM authors can take some of SR's Dishonored lines and use them for Garrett
    No you can't because this is copyrighted stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    No you can't because this is copyrighted stuff.
    FM authors have used audio and other resources from other games (I remember one with Quake 3 material). Unless there's more restrictions with AAA games?

it is flat out illegal. no matter the size of the company that owns the rights.

Southquarter.com/fms
    It's completely illegal. But also highly likely that no one would ever notice or care.

Is it illegal to even use sound clips from Thief itself in a Thief FM? Or is it only illegal if you are using sounds from a game that is not the game you are creating an FM for? Sorry, just unclear how it works. Always assumed it was OK as long as the FM was free.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Using resources of any kind from a game other than the one you're making the mission for is technically illegal (unless you are given permission), but as Brethren said, these are free missions for an old game and nobody who would do anything is going to notice or care. It's been done since nearly the dawn of FMs, and will no doubt continue.

Is it illegal to even use sound clips from Thief itself in a Thief FM? Or is it only illegal if you are using sounds from a game that is not the game you are creating an FM for? Sorry, just unclear how it works. Always assumed it was OK as long as the FM was free.
    Typically, when game ships with the editor, you're allowed to use game resources you have access to, within the editor. For everything else, textures, music, models, sound samples, it's illegal unless those assets are repackaged by the author or rights owner and contain some terms of use or license. That applies to other games and all other the works too.

You can't just grab everything that's downloadable from the Internet and cram into your mission, because you're releasing it for free. Besides being illegal and rude, it's tacky too. People who know where or whom you grabbed it from will basically do this every time they see or hear it. And, if other parts of your mission aren't on that kind of pro level as the assets you lifted from somewhere else, it will stand out. It's always better to recreate models or textures from the game you like, from scratch. It's more creative, and it's an opportunity to learn something new. Besides, there are so many talented people in the community, you can always ask someone to make that model or texture or voiceover for you. It's also more fun for the observant players, trying to guess where they've seen or hear something like that, what was the source of inspiration for you.
    Last edited by Judith; 19th Feb 2017 at 04:09.

Wasn't the end of Brigmore Witches DLC also a nod to Thief? The non-lethal way to deal with Delilah is almost the same way as Garrett has dealt with the Trickster.

Thanks for the info. Looks like my idea for placing the robots from SS2 into a Mechanist mission is out then

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    Wasn't the end of Brigmore Witches DLC also a nod to Thief? The non-lethal way to deal with Delilah is almost the same way as Garrett has dealt with the Trickster.
    We'd be here a long time if we try to identify all of the intentional easter eggs. The whole game is a nod to Thief, very different in some ways, subtly similar in others, and a downright ripoff (in a good way) in other ways.

I find it interesting how they reversed the similarities across sequels. Dishonored's setting and characters were very similar to TDP, but the plot was very different. The Overseer's similar to the Hammers, the outsider taking on the role of "Keeper".

Dishonored 2 sort of combines the plot from TDP and TMA, and focuses more on providing unique settings. Delilah is sort of like the Trickster and Jindosh has obvious ties to Karras.

They also use the line "Better check my map" in missions 1 and 3 of T2, and "This looks like the way in" in both Song Of The Caverns and Framed.

Not criticising just like to spot the recognised lines.
    Have discovered two more re-used lines in Framed, as well as the two already mentioned. There's the "Ah, a back door" from Thieves Guild, and "Ah, a hidden entrance" from Song Of The Caverns. Sorry, just like spotting them.

I would use any of Stephen Russell's lines outside of Thief anyway. In a recent interview he was asked if he could do voice work for FM's and Stephen Russell politely declined. Grabbing his lines from elsewhere would be circumventing his stance of not being able to provide lines. To me it would be a matter of respect.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    In a recent interview he was asked if he could do voice work for FM's and Stephen Russell politely declined.
    When and where was this?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I knew of Avalon's request for him to voice Garrett for T2X, but that was like 13+ years ago. Has it happened again recently?

On another note, that's not even what this thread is about. I assumed it's about how LGS recycled lines from T1G in T2, and also how other games have used iconic Thief lines in their own games (as in the OP).