TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 49141516171819

Thread: There's an OCULUS RIFT on my FACE :D

Do you have an updated ETA, henke? Really curious to hear how you'll enjoy your very own Oculus Rift.

Also, Dead & Buried isn't an amazing game, but it's a competent wave shooter much improved by the combination of VR and (... wait for it...) coop play. Might be something to check out during a sale.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Getting it tomorrow!

And the day after that I'm having a new sofa and kitchen table delivered. OH YEAH! MAJOR UPGRADES TO CASA HENKE INCOMING

Woohoo! Enjoy!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, got the Oculus Rift, but the tracking doesn't work on the left touch controller. It pairs just fine, but then just lies there, immobile, when in VR. Tried reinstalling the Oculus software and moving the sensors to different USBs, but to no avail.

Will bring it with me to work tomorrow and see if it works with our work Rift, and then take home a controller from work to see if that works here, to find out if it's a hardware issue.

I did also get a BSOD during the touch pairing portion of the initial setup.

Level 10,000 achieved

Several hours later...

Now it's working!

Turns out the culprit was some old DK2 files still in the system. Had to scourge through Registries, AppData, and Windows Systems folders to get rid of all that stuff and then reinstall, then it tracked both controllers just fine. Whew.

El Shagmeister

w00t w00t!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Alright, I've had time to play a few games.

Robo Recall - Good stuff! Thirith, have you played this yet? Would love to hear how it stacks up against Superhot. Anyway, it's way too resource heavy for my rig. I got like 15fps when the action was at it's heaviest. Oddly enough, there wasn't a hint of nausea even at that low framerate, that asynchronous timewarp really does wonders in preventing that. But yeah, this makes me think I'll definitely need a new graphics card soon.

Assetto Corsa - the VR implementation has been improved significantly since the DK2 days, though menus are still displayed on your monitor, so you have to take off the headset when you exit out of a racetrack. Runs smooth even on my GTX 960 on high settings.

Lunar Flight - has seen significant updates since my last go, but performance wasn't great. Also seemed to stutter more and more as I played, might be a memoryleak in this build.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Robo Recall - Good stuff! Thirith, have you played this yet? Would love to hear how it stacks up against Superhot. Anyway, it's way too resource heavy for my rig. I got like 15fps when the action was at it's heaviest. Oddly enough, there wasn't a hint of nausea even at that low framerate, that asynchronous timewarp really does wonders in preventing that. But yeah, this makes me think I'll definitely need a new graphics card soon.
    I've downloaded it but haven't yet played it; I basically have about 5 hours of VR time each week, and currently I'm using all of that for Elite Dangerous. I think I'll take a bit of a break from it soon, though, not least to check out Robo Recall, since I've heard very good things about it.

I may have asked this before, but one thing I was wondering about is how the Rift (and other VR headsets) are if you just want 3D vision for your games that otherwise use traditional controls?

The touch controllers and other odd things don't really interest me, but a 3D display with twin OLEDs sounds interesting.

I'd imagine that kind of thing where you are controlling the view via a mouse instead of by moving your head would be exactly the sort of thing that causes people nausea?
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 16th Mar 2017 at 17:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I'd imagine that kind of thing where you are controlling the view via a mouse instead of by moving your head would be exactly the sort of thing that causes people nausea?
    Indeed.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    I'm going to re-recommend Rec Room. I believe it's available in Oculus Home as well as Steam, but I'm not sure if their lobbies are shared.

In fact, it seems like we might have enough VR enabled TTLGers now to do a Rec Room meetup of sorts.
    I played a bit of this tonight, mainly the disc golf. It's fun! I loved the PS3 Move disc golf game in Sports Champions, and this reminds me a lot of that. Tho when I entered the Lockerroom and other people spawned in the game got very laggy for me, so I think I'll need a GFX upgrade before attempting multiplayer, but I'd definitely be up for it at some later point. My Oculus name is LeeMajorz6k, go ahead and add me, Faf.

Make sure to let us know what coop games you have on Oculus Rift; it'd definitely be fun to meet up in cyberspace at some point. I can mainly think of Elite, Dead & Buried and Minecraft right now, thought I expect I also have other ones, and I've heard very good things about Raw Data.